Sunday, 24 May 2009

blooms from chelsea!

yesterday i went to the chelsea flower show, i have never been before and I loved it. The weather was glorious, and the gardens gorgeous. I was really surprised on how small some of the gardens were as like most things it all seems bigger on the tv!

We started off very early in the morning where we boarded a boat at Tilbury port (in Essex) which set sail at 7.30am along the River Thames to a landing dock at the Albert Bridge in Chelsea. The boat trip took a couple of hours and was lovely. I took many photo's which will be featured on my 'Recipe's of London' blog over the next few weeks! ... On arrival at Chelsea you are faced with a huge pavilion which houses all the plants & flower exhibitions from the brands & growers.

The show gardens are featured down Main Avenue and then dotted round the parks of the Royal Hospital.
As we arrived Alan & Joe were getting ready to film!
Karen & I parted from her mum & aunt at this point as trying to keep 2 together in the crowds would be enough of a challenge let alone 4 of us! The day was filled with sunshine, floral scents, homemade scream & pimms! an ideal summers day!

As it was the last day they do the great 'sell-off' at 4pm when the bell tolls to let everyone know that this year's chelsea has finished. The bell was rung by the two new lady pensioners and then it was a free for all!.... you can reserve flowers during the day on some stands for a small fee and then you collect after 4. We were strategically placed around the pavilion and left with 40 large bloom cream chrysanthemums, 9 huge strawberry plants from what could be described as the best smell at chelsea. two bouquets of flowers and as i was leaving the pavilion the man from the sweetpea stand gave me an oasis of pink sweetpeas. Sweetpeas are one of my favorite flowers and remind me so much of my gramps. he grew the most beautiful flowers and when i saw the alchemist garden with the old bike parked outside it took me right back to my gramps's allotment and riding crossbar over there with him with random cutting's hanging out of sacks on the handlebars. There was some beautiful modern clean line gardens but i loved the nostalgic gardens of which there many including afternoon tea.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

The photos look fantastic. Glad you enjoyed your day.
x

Kelly Schelske said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day, gorgeous picts Teresa!!

Erika said...

Looks beautiful Teresa.
Always a place I've fancied visiting.

Shazza said...

what fab pics
x

klmpink said...

Chelsea looked fantastic its definitely on my London to do list! Thanks for the make lounge link I have been drooling over their classes for the last few weeks can't decide which to go for!

Sunday, 24 May 2009

blooms from chelsea!

yesterday i went to the chelsea flower show, i have never been before and I loved it. The weather was glorious, and the gardens gorgeous. I was really surprised on how small some of the gardens were as like most things it all seems bigger on the tv!

We started off very early in the morning where we boarded a boat at Tilbury port (in Essex) which set sail at 7.30am along the River Thames to a landing dock at the Albert Bridge in Chelsea. The boat trip took a couple of hours and was lovely. I took many photo's which will be featured on my 'Recipe's of London' blog over the next few weeks! ... On arrival at Chelsea you are faced with a huge pavilion which houses all the plants & flower exhibitions from the brands & growers.

The show gardens are featured down Main Avenue and then dotted round the parks of the Royal Hospital.
As we arrived Alan & Joe were getting ready to film!
Karen & I parted from her mum & aunt at this point as trying to keep 2 together in the crowds would be enough of a challenge let alone 4 of us! The day was filled with sunshine, floral scents, homemade scream & pimms! an ideal summers day!

As it was the last day they do the great 'sell-off' at 4pm when the bell tolls to let everyone know that this year's chelsea has finished. The bell was rung by the two new lady pensioners and then it was a free for all!.... you can reserve flowers during the day on some stands for a small fee and then you collect after 4. We were strategically placed around the pavilion and left with 40 large bloom cream chrysanthemums, 9 huge strawberry plants from what could be described as the best smell at chelsea. two bouquets of flowers and as i was leaving the pavilion the man from the sweetpea stand gave me an oasis of pink sweetpeas. Sweetpeas are one of my favorite flowers and remind me so much of my gramps. he grew the most beautiful flowers and when i saw the alchemist garden with the old bike parked outside it took me right back to my gramps's allotment and riding crossbar over there with him with random cutting's hanging out of sacks on the handlebars. There was some beautiful modern clean line gardens but i loved the nostalgic gardens of which there many including afternoon tea.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

The photos look fantastic. Glad you enjoyed your day.
x

Kelly Schelske said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day, gorgeous picts Teresa!!

Erika said...

Looks beautiful Teresa.
Always a place I've fancied visiting.

Shazza said...

what fab pics
x

klmpink said...

Chelsea looked fantastic its definitely on my London to do list! Thanks for the make lounge link I have been drooling over their classes for the last few weeks can't decide which to go for!