Thursday, 10 September 2009

Breakfast at Tiffany's...........

last night I went to see the first night preview of Breakfast at Tiffany's at the Haymarket Theatre in London. Anna Friel is staring as Holly Golightly, with this is mind I knew that it wasn't likely to be 'frothy'!.... As a warning to anyone who is thinking of going, if you Y the film and have never read the book, then this isn't for you.
This is a good adaptation of Truman Capotes book, which if you have read will know that its quite gritty and not glossed with Hollywood! (Truman hated the film and his estate are very strict on how his work is now adapted)
The other 'spoiler' is that Holly in the book is blonde, so Anna dons a blonde wig to play the role ..... she very much puts her style on the character and is not as ditsy as Audrey Hepburn. (Please don't think that I dislike the film or Audrey .. it is one of my favs, and she is great, but it is very different from the book).. what it does have is some lovely dresses worn by Miss Friel.
It is some time since I saw a play, I did enjoy it, i'm glad I went on my own, as you do have to concentrate as the narrative is quite fast. It is also quite long 3hrs in total, fortunately I'm learning that going to the theatre on your own you are more likely to be up-graded... so my £10 ticket saw me sitting in the £50 seats...bargain!!!... Overall a great adaptation of an iconic book, the set is very simple but incredibly effective, the cat comes very close to stealing the show.. worth a visit if only to see Joseph Cross (William/Fred) in the buff... a very pleasant surprise!... would I go again.. probably not, BUT I am really glad that I went.
On route to the opulent Haymarket, i did my own little piece of Tiffany browsing. The Old Bond Street store isn't anywhere near as iconic as the legendary 5th Avenue store but it is a beautiful building that still has the wow factor!....

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Anna friel always gets to wear beautiful clothes!!!
Well done on the upgrade!

Lots of Love

Kelly xxxx

Florence and Mary said...

I see Kelly has beat me here so when I remind her that we must book to see this she won't be surprised!

I've had this on my list of things to look in to for some time.

Victoria xx

bekimarie said...

I've never read the book, really must look it up!
((hugs))
Beki xxx

Thursday, 10 September 2009

Breakfast at Tiffany's...........

last night I went to see the first night preview of Breakfast at Tiffany's at the Haymarket Theatre in London. Anna Friel is staring as Holly Golightly, with this is mind I knew that it wasn't likely to be 'frothy'!.... As a warning to anyone who is thinking of going, if you Y the film and have never read the book, then this isn't for you.
This is a good adaptation of Truman Capotes book, which if you have read will know that its quite gritty and not glossed with Hollywood! (Truman hated the film and his estate are very strict on how his work is now adapted)
The other 'spoiler' is that Holly in the book is blonde, so Anna dons a blonde wig to play the role ..... she very much puts her style on the character and is not as ditsy as Audrey Hepburn. (Please don't think that I dislike the film or Audrey .. it is one of my favs, and she is great, but it is very different from the book).. what it does have is some lovely dresses worn by Miss Friel.
It is some time since I saw a play, I did enjoy it, i'm glad I went on my own, as you do have to concentrate as the narrative is quite fast. It is also quite long 3hrs in total, fortunately I'm learning that going to the theatre on your own you are more likely to be up-graded... so my £10 ticket saw me sitting in the £50 seats...bargain!!!... Overall a great adaptation of an iconic book, the set is very simple but incredibly effective, the cat comes very close to stealing the show.. worth a visit if only to see Joseph Cross (William/Fred) in the buff... a very pleasant surprise!... would I go again.. probably not, BUT I am really glad that I went.
On route to the opulent Haymarket, i did my own little piece of Tiffany browsing. The Old Bond Street store isn't anywhere near as iconic as the legendary 5th Avenue store but it is a beautiful building that still has the wow factor!....

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Anna friel always gets to wear beautiful clothes!!!
Well done on the upgrade!

Lots of Love

Kelly xxxx

Florence and Mary said...

I see Kelly has beat me here so when I remind her that we must book to see this she won't be surprised!

I've had this on my list of things to look in to for some time.

Victoria xx

bekimarie said...

I've never read the book, really must look it up!
((hugs))
Beki xxx