Wednesday, 21 October 2009

True Gold....

is the only way to describe Spandau Ballet on stage at the O2 last night....
I along with 3 friends, 1 of which I was in playschool with, headed off to see Spandau Ballet's Reformation tour. As a devout Duranie in my youth, one could never admit to being a Spandau fan, but I was, having a huge crush on Tony Hadley & Martin Kemp.
No school disco was complete without the epic True!
Earlier this year when the band reformed, I jumped with glee and eagerly awaited the release of tour dates, and whether it was just for financial gain or the fact that the boys had really put their past differences behind them, I didn't care, I was going to see them no matter what!... I've seen Tony Hadley a couple of times solo since the demise of Spandau, and as great as he was it missed that wow factor that the 5 had together. This preview of the Dublin gigs only got me more excited!
The boys hit the stage under a large screen of graphics and pictures of the UK in the 80's, ironically the band built there following during a recession hit Britain, 28 years later they are reformed in another economically challenged Britain! launching into Chant No1 from their 1st iconic album... this led into a mixture of songs from their epic back catalogue...

Highlights included Through the Barricades, Lifeline, Communication, too many to name!... one of the best bits was Tony & Gary together singing With the Pride,........ the night finished to their to anthem of True which was absolutely fantastic, including Steve Normans legendary saxophone accompaniment.(for a girl who played the saxophone at school this guy is a musical genius).The boys left the stage to thunderous applause to return to an encore of Fight for Ourselves and Gold .
Tony entering the stage with a obligatory tumbler of Jack Daniels & Coke.....these boys still know how to party!....
I am today wishing I could go back for more but am now eagerly awaiting the release of the DVD which was filmed last night... alas I cannot wait for santa to drop it into my stocking... I want it now, only 6 weeks to wait!... it's true what they say you can take the girl out of the 80's but you can't take the 80's out of the girl!....

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad you had a good night out with your friends!
I love the O2!

Lots of Love

Kelly xxxx

Kissed by an Angel said...

Lucky you!!! I love Spandau Ballet!!

xxxx

Florence and Mary said...

Glad you had a good time! It's great when a concert lives up to your expectations

Victoria xx

Wednesday, 21 October 2009

True Gold....

is the only way to describe Spandau Ballet on stage at the O2 last night....
I along with 3 friends, 1 of which I was in playschool with, headed off to see Spandau Ballet's Reformation tour. As a devout Duranie in my youth, one could never admit to being a Spandau fan, but I was, having a huge crush on Tony Hadley & Martin Kemp.
No school disco was complete without the epic True!
Earlier this year when the band reformed, I jumped with glee and eagerly awaited the release of tour dates, and whether it was just for financial gain or the fact that the boys had really put their past differences behind them, I didn't care, I was going to see them no matter what!... I've seen Tony Hadley a couple of times solo since the demise of Spandau, and as great as he was it missed that wow factor that the 5 had together. This preview of the Dublin gigs only got me more excited!
The boys hit the stage under a large screen of graphics and pictures of the UK in the 80's, ironically the band built there following during a recession hit Britain, 28 years later they are reformed in another economically challenged Britain! launching into Chant No1 from their 1st iconic album... this led into a mixture of songs from their epic back catalogue...

Highlights included Through the Barricades, Lifeline, Communication, too many to name!... one of the best bits was Tony & Gary together singing With the Pride,........ the night finished to their to anthem of True which was absolutely fantastic, including Steve Normans legendary saxophone accompaniment.(for a girl who played the saxophone at school this guy is a musical genius).The boys left the stage to thunderous applause to return to an encore of Fight for Ourselves and Gold .
Tony entering the stage with a obligatory tumbler of Jack Daniels & Coke.....these boys still know how to party!....
I am today wishing I could go back for more but am now eagerly awaiting the release of the DVD which was filmed last night... alas I cannot wait for santa to drop it into my stocking... I want it now, only 6 weeks to wait!... it's true what they say you can take the girl out of the 80's but you can't take the 80's out of the girl!....

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad you had a good night out with your friends!
I love the O2!

Lots of Love

Kelly xxxx

Kissed by an Angel said...

Lucky you!!! I love Spandau Ballet!!

xxxx

Florence and Mary said...

Glad you had a good time! It's great when a concert lives up to your expectations

Victoria xx