Sunday, 4 October 2009

welcome home....

Yesterday saw the home coming parade of 38 engineer regiment at Massereene army barracks in Antrim Northern Ireland. Within this regiment is my 19 year old godson, (son of one of friends,) This regiment was targeted by the real IRA on the night that they were due to leave for Afghanistan, where they lost 2 of the regiment.
Its 21 years since my friend & I met ( her husband & my boyfriend were friends... neither man stayed the course unlike our friendship!) and although we do not live close now (she's in Scotland and I'm in London) I know that she is only a phone call away.

He has spent the last 6 months in Helmund in Afghanistan...we've kept in touch via facebook which helps, especially when everyday you are dread listening to the news. Fortunately Daniel has returned.Whilst he has been on tour, the boys from his regiment along with other regiments ran a marathon around camp bastion to race money for Help for Heroes.
My thoughts are with all the families who's boys haven't come home or have come home injured.
Talking to Dan last night it certainly is harder for those that are left at home, to them they are dong the job that they signed up for and love.

As my friend has one boy home her youngest (16) is away on his first week of maneuvers at Harrogate.
I am incredibly proud of him, and incredibly relieved that he is home safe.
Hugs & Love ,
will up to see you all soon.
Tx

2 comments:

Erika said...

Hi Teresa I don't envy the mum's who send their young sons off to that dreadful place at all...atleast my DH knows what he is getting himself into and usually isn't in the thick of it like they are.

Florence and Mary said...

As you know this is close to my heart as well.

My brother ran the marathon for Help the Hereos this year, unfortunately he didn't get in this year on application so he's going to contact the charity directly to see if he can run through them

Victoria x

Sunday, 4 October 2009

welcome home....

Yesterday saw the home coming parade of 38 engineer regiment at Massereene army barracks in Antrim Northern Ireland. Within this regiment is my 19 year old godson, (son of one of friends,) This regiment was targeted by the real IRA on the night that they were due to leave for Afghanistan, where they lost 2 of the regiment.
Its 21 years since my friend & I met ( her husband & my boyfriend were friends... neither man stayed the course unlike our friendship!) and although we do not live close now (she's in Scotland and I'm in London) I know that she is only a phone call away.

He has spent the last 6 months in Helmund in Afghanistan...we've kept in touch via facebook which helps, especially when everyday you are dread listening to the news. Fortunately Daniel has returned.Whilst he has been on tour, the boys from his regiment along with other regiments ran a marathon around camp bastion to race money for Help for Heroes.
My thoughts are with all the families who's boys haven't come home or have come home injured.
Talking to Dan last night it certainly is harder for those that are left at home, to them they are dong the job that they signed up for and love.

As my friend has one boy home her youngest (16) is away on his first week of maneuvers at Harrogate.
I am incredibly proud of him, and incredibly relieved that he is home safe.
Hugs & Love ,
will up to see you all soon.
Tx

2 comments:

Erika said...

Hi Teresa I don't envy the mum's who send their young sons off to that dreadful place at all...atleast my DH knows what he is getting himself into and usually isn't in the thick of it like they are.

Florence and Mary said...

As you know this is close to my heart as well.

My brother ran the marathon for Help the Hereos this year, unfortunately he didn't get in this year on application so he's going to contact the charity directly to see if he can run through them

Victoria x