Saturday, 3 July 2010

Couture & Craftmanship .......... Kelly & Quilts

sums up my evening last night. I finished on time and headed over to the Victoria & Albert Museum to view the Grace Kelly collection and see the amazing craftsmanship in the Quilts exhibition.
Starting with Kelly, one of the style icons of haute couture, glamour and elegance. From Hollywood princess to Princess Consort, styled and dressed to suit. My one disappointment was that they didn't have her wedding dress, which is truly fabulous. They did however have the Hermes Kelly handbag, which I salivated over longingly. Other than the Kelly bag, my favourites were the dresses from High Society and the beautiful little black dress from Rear Window. She favoured gowns by couturiers such as Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy and Yves St Laurent, which are all featured in the exhibit.
~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~
Quilts 1700 ~ 2010
The Quilt exhibition has been one of the most successful that the V&A has shown and I'm not surprised. The array of quilts that are on show are amazing. Real works of art and should sit alongside any Monet, or Picasso as inspirational pieces of art & history. The level of detail displayed in the very early quilts was astounding, even more so when you know that it would of  been stitched by hand. I adored the childs bed, complete with complementing dolls cradle & quilt.


Unfortunately this exhibit finishes tomorrow, congratulations to the V&A for being bang on trend as usual.
I'm loving these summer evenings in the city!.... especially when on Friday evenings the V&A stays open until 10pm. After perusing the exhibits, I sat with my feet in the pool in the Garden of the V&A sipping a Pimms.... heaven!

4 comments:

Archies Mum said...

Wow you lucky thing, the Grace Kelly exhibition must have been amazing to see. Those dresses are just so elegant. It was such a shame that she came to such a tragic end. I wonder how many people still create quilts nowadays. Sounds like you had a lovely time x

LissyLou said...

i went to the Grace Exhibition, weren't her dresses from High society so tiny??!!

Florence and Mary said...

I was looking online the other day and saw they're open late on a Friday, I might have to pop up there after work one night to catch the exhibit.

Victoria x

Caroline said...

Teresa, your posts never fail to make me wish I lived in London - you certainly make the most of all the things there are to do and see in our capital. I'm thinking afternoon tea at The Berkeley is a must next time I'm in London x

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Couture & Craftmanship .......... Kelly & Quilts

sums up my evening last night. I finished on time and headed over to the Victoria & Albert Museum to view the Grace Kelly collection and see the amazing craftsmanship in the Quilts exhibition.
Starting with Kelly, one of the style icons of haute couture, glamour and elegance. From Hollywood princess to Princess Consort, styled and dressed to suit. My one disappointment was that they didn't have her wedding dress, which is truly fabulous. They did however have the Hermes Kelly handbag, which I salivated over longingly. Other than the Kelly bag, my favourites were the dresses from High Society and the beautiful little black dress from Rear Window. She favoured gowns by couturiers such as Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy and Yves St Laurent, which are all featured in the exhibit.
~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~ x ~
Quilts 1700 ~ 2010
The Quilt exhibition has been one of the most successful that the V&A has shown and I'm not surprised. The array of quilts that are on show are amazing. Real works of art and should sit alongside any Monet, or Picasso as inspirational pieces of art & history. The level of detail displayed in the very early quilts was astounding, even more so when you know that it would of  been stitched by hand. I adored the childs bed, complete with complementing dolls cradle & quilt.


Unfortunately this exhibit finishes tomorrow, congratulations to the V&A for being bang on trend as usual.
I'm loving these summer evenings in the city!.... especially when on Friday evenings the V&A stays open until 10pm. After perusing the exhibits, I sat with my feet in the pool in the Garden of the V&A sipping a Pimms.... heaven!

4 comments:

Archies Mum said...

Wow you lucky thing, the Grace Kelly exhibition must have been amazing to see. Those dresses are just so elegant. It was such a shame that she came to such a tragic end. I wonder how many people still create quilts nowadays. Sounds like you had a lovely time x

LissyLou said...

i went to the Grace Exhibition, weren't her dresses from High society so tiny??!!

Florence and Mary said...

I was looking online the other day and saw they're open late on a Friday, I might have to pop up there after work one night to catch the exhibit.

Victoria x

Caroline said...

Teresa, your posts never fail to make me wish I lived in London - you certainly make the most of all the things there are to do and see in our capital. I'm thinking afternoon tea at The Berkeley is a must next time I'm in London x