Monday, 9 August 2010

When in Rome......

do as the Romans do!.....
Coffee, Culture, Siesta, Pasta.....
I had a beautiful time in Rome, thankyou all for the Tips & birthday wishes. The weather was glorious and the city was stunning.
I stayed in a little hotel on the Via Sistina at the top of the Spanish Steps, which not only provided some stunning views of St Peter's basillica & Rome but also walked off a couple of calories when hiking to the top in 30' heat!... obviously a Gelatari was much needed on arrival at the top!


It's difficult to pick out one single thing in Rome which is a favourite as each turn of a corner springs another surprise on you... I was however blown away by the Pantheon, which was not only an amazing feat of engineering but truly stunning.
The storm that blew in on the Friday evening was also spectacular, the lightening forking over the Vatican was like something out of Angels & Demons!

During my four day tour I walked the cobbled stones of Rome at length from the Colosseum, to the Pantheon taking in a stroll through the Campo De' Fiori fruit market, along the river Tevere and to the amazing Vatican City. Evenings were spent strolling the lanes and Piazza's. I was also lucky enough to be treated to an hours opera at the bottom of the Spanish Steps each evening which was magical.
My trip to Rome couldn't be complete with tossing three coins in the Trevi!... obviously completed on the evening of my birthday, well it beats making a wish blowing out the candles!

One of my friends arranged for a celebratory drink to be sent to my room on my birthday, which was a lovely surprise...and as you can see a trip to Italy couldn't be complete without a Pizza, I aws good and eat lots of fruit & salads too! ( sometimes accompanied by some more of their Gelatari ~ my fav being Pink Grapefruit sorbet!)
Tonight The fantastic 24 hours in a City by Griff Rhys Jones was repeated on TV.... this gives a fantastic flavour of Rome... here is the beginning to wet your appetite!

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

Sounds like you had a brilliant time. Hopefully you will return since you've thrown your coins into the fountain. x

Florence and Mary said...

My aunts and I keep talking about going to Rome one day, I always hear such good reports.

Victoria xx

Monday, 9 August 2010

When in Rome......

do as the Romans do!.....
Coffee, Culture, Siesta, Pasta.....
I had a beautiful time in Rome, thankyou all for the Tips & birthday wishes. The weather was glorious and the city was stunning.
I stayed in a little hotel on the Via Sistina at the top of the Spanish Steps, which not only provided some stunning views of St Peter's basillica & Rome but also walked off a couple of calories when hiking to the top in 30' heat!... obviously a Gelatari was much needed on arrival at the top!


It's difficult to pick out one single thing in Rome which is a favourite as each turn of a corner springs another surprise on you... I was however blown away by the Pantheon, which was not only an amazing feat of engineering but truly stunning.
The storm that blew in on the Friday evening was also spectacular, the lightening forking over the Vatican was like something out of Angels & Demons!

During my four day tour I walked the cobbled stones of Rome at length from the Colosseum, to the Pantheon taking in a stroll through the Campo De' Fiori fruit market, along the river Tevere and to the amazing Vatican City. Evenings were spent strolling the lanes and Piazza's. I was also lucky enough to be treated to an hours opera at the bottom of the Spanish Steps each evening which was magical.
My trip to Rome couldn't be complete with tossing three coins in the Trevi!... obviously completed on the evening of my birthday, well it beats making a wish blowing out the candles!

One of my friends arranged for a celebratory drink to be sent to my room on my birthday, which was a lovely surprise...and as you can see a trip to Italy couldn't be complete without a Pizza, I aws good and eat lots of fruit & salads too! ( sometimes accompanied by some more of their Gelatari ~ my fav being Pink Grapefruit sorbet!)
Tonight The fantastic 24 hours in a City by Griff Rhys Jones was repeated on TV.... this gives a fantastic flavour of Rome... here is the beginning to wet your appetite!

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

Sounds like you had a brilliant time. Hopefully you will return since you've thrown your coins into the fountain. x

Florence and Mary said...

My aunts and I keep talking about going to Rome one day, I always hear such good reports.

Victoria xx