Saturday, 25 December 2010

Christmas Day in New York...


can it get anymore magical?...I didn't know what to expect as this was my first Christmas abroad, but I couldn't have picked a better place to be. On awaking I opened the parcel that my niece & nephew insisted I pack.. it contained a grey cashmere jumper & socks which obviously became the Christmas day attire and some $ to spend!. After a coffee & Christmas gingerbread cupcake I headed up towards the Rockefeller to attend Christmas mass at St Patricks cathedral. This is a first for me church on Christmas day, but St Patricks is a beautiful church and it felt the right thing to do in New York. I think it will be the first time that I have experienced 'security guards' managing the Q's and people for a church service. Even the Bishop had his own personal bodyguard!
After mass I walked up 5th avenue to Central Park. The park was very busy but the atmosphere was lovely everyone wishing each other a Merry Christmas, free hot chocolate was being given out at Wollman Rink where skating was very popular. I managed 20 minutes but spent half of that sitting on the ice!
Whilst walking through the park I saw 2 brides having their wedding photos taken which was lovely.
Times Square was next which was extremely busy as the majority of places were open. I picked up a half price ticket for a broadway show for Christmas day night. By now lunch was required, between Times Square and my hotel I found a lovely Bistro which was very Christmassy. Lunch was lovely... Stuffed chicken breast, pumpkin & potato mash & spinach... followed by Apple pudding with cinnamon icecream... mmmm.
In the evening after a much needed rest I headed back to broadway Times square for my Christmas night entertainment which was the Donny & Marie Christmas Show!!... fantastically kitsch and soo NY!.. pure fun... Loved it!
Happy Holidays!...

1 comment:

Florence and Mary said...

It sounds like a perfect Christmas Day!

Victoria xx

Saturday, 25 December 2010

Christmas Day in New York...


can it get anymore magical?...I didn't know what to expect as this was my first Christmas abroad, but I couldn't have picked a better place to be. On awaking I opened the parcel that my niece & nephew insisted I pack.. it contained a grey cashmere jumper & socks which obviously became the Christmas day attire and some $ to spend!. After a coffee & Christmas gingerbread cupcake I headed up towards the Rockefeller to attend Christmas mass at St Patricks cathedral. This is a first for me church on Christmas day, but St Patricks is a beautiful church and it felt the right thing to do in New York. I think it will be the first time that I have experienced 'security guards' managing the Q's and people for a church service. Even the Bishop had his own personal bodyguard!
After mass I walked up 5th avenue to Central Park. The park was very busy but the atmosphere was lovely everyone wishing each other a Merry Christmas, free hot chocolate was being given out at Wollman Rink where skating was very popular. I managed 20 minutes but spent half of that sitting on the ice!
Whilst walking through the park I saw 2 brides having their wedding photos taken which was lovely.
Times Square was next which was extremely busy as the majority of places were open. I picked up a half price ticket for a broadway show for Christmas day night. By now lunch was required, between Times Square and my hotel I found a lovely Bistro which was very Christmassy. Lunch was lovely... Stuffed chicken breast, pumpkin & potato mash & spinach... followed by Apple pudding with cinnamon icecream... mmmm.
In the evening after a much needed rest I headed back to broadway Times square for my Christmas night entertainment which was the Donny & Marie Christmas Show!!... fantastically kitsch and soo NY!.. pure fun... Loved it!
Happy Holidays!...

1 comment:

Florence and Mary said...

It sounds like a perfect Christmas Day!

Victoria xx