Saturday, 9 April 2011

With Love from Notting Hill....

with the sun shining and a day off work I took myself off to Nottinghill /Portabello road for an amble!.. Last year Ali Mcnamara's book "from nottinghill with love.... actually" was one of my favourite reads ( a must for anyone who loves the Richard Curtis films)... so book in tow I headed to Ladbroke Grove.
I walked past some of the gated gardens, (locked of course!).. found the famous blue door (Rhys Ifans in underpants forever printed on my mind!) now a little shabby and painted black, to the corner where Julia Roberts has the OJ spilt on her by Hugh Grant now a coffee republic!...and the inspirational travel bookshop. I loved wandering around, especially as the market was just coming to life in the beautiful spring sunshine.
Heading up the Portabello road towards Notting hill the daily market wares lead into the antique market stalls which are just gorgeous. Lots of old books and the vintage rugby memorabilia was lovely.
You can still spot a bargain but you have to hunt!..no treasures for me, but a quick stop at Hummingbird bakery was a treat...
Crossing over into the quieter part of Portabello road, which was bathed in spring sunshine and  blossoms, I stumbled on a little cafe called Charlies.... sharing the same name as my Gramps I had to stop... the cafe is sited down a little alley which leads into a small walled courtyard. The cafe was lovely, serving great food & coffee... on each table is a small booklet listing the provenance of all its food, a great little touch and very informative.
a great little find, will definitely be popping back next time that I am near.... I loved my morning in Notting Hill,.... Thanks Ali for the fab little map!

part 2 ~ Springtime in the City to follow...!!

1 comment:

Florence and Mary said...

Looks like a perfect day out! Isn't London great when the sun is shining,

Victoria xx

Saturday, 9 April 2011

With Love from Notting Hill....

with the sun shining and a day off work I took myself off to Nottinghill /Portabello road for an amble!.. Last year Ali Mcnamara's book "from nottinghill with love.... actually" was one of my favourite reads ( a must for anyone who loves the Richard Curtis films)... so book in tow I headed to Ladbroke Grove.
I walked past some of the gated gardens, (locked of course!).. found the famous blue door (Rhys Ifans in underpants forever printed on my mind!) now a little shabby and painted black, to the corner where Julia Roberts has the OJ spilt on her by Hugh Grant now a coffee republic!...and the inspirational travel bookshop. I loved wandering around, especially as the market was just coming to life in the beautiful spring sunshine.
Heading up the Portabello road towards Notting hill the daily market wares lead into the antique market stalls which are just gorgeous. Lots of old books and the vintage rugby memorabilia was lovely.
You can still spot a bargain but you have to hunt!..no treasures for me, but a quick stop at Hummingbird bakery was a treat...
Crossing over into the quieter part of Portabello road, which was bathed in spring sunshine and  blossoms, I stumbled on a little cafe called Charlies.... sharing the same name as my Gramps I had to stop... the cafe is sited down a little alley which leads into a small walled courtyard. The cafe was lovely, serving great food & coffee... on each table is a small booklet listing the provenance of all its food, a great little touch and very informative.
a great little find, will definitely be popping back next time that I am near.... I loved my morning in Notting Hill,.... Thanks Ali for the fab little map!

part 2 ~ Springtime in the City to follow...!!

1 comment:

Florence and Mary said...

Looks like a perfect day out! Isn't London great when the sun is shining,

Victoria xx