Sunday, 1 May 2011

A Grandmother's Legacy....

growing up with my grandparents holds many special memories, and time spent swung like a pendulum between Nannies kitchen and Gramps's shed. Even though they are both gone now, I'm lucky to hold many special memories of them both. My nan was the matriarch of our family and Saturday was always bake day... savoury in the morning and sweet in the afternoon... as soon as our key was in the door the smell of baking wafted down the stairs ( no not cooking in the bedroom, they lived in a maisonette!).. and Nan's dress was always adorned with an apron!...
When she passed, her baking legacy was left to me complete with Good Housekeeping Compendium 1952 (complete with food stains and handwritten notes in the margins!), Stoneware Mixing Bowl and Cake spoons, Glass cake stands... and a be-loved apron.
With the Royal Wedding looming, out came the trusted book and Cupcakes made from the Sponge cake recipe... much tried and tested... adapted for the day with blueberries and raspberries....when complete the table looked like a family special occasion tea party..... bringing back many memories of celebrations past.

I had just arrived in New York 6 years ago when I heard the news that she had taken a turn for the worse, she passed as I was waiting to board a return flight home to London.....so although London is my home, New York will always hold my heart.... I am returning to New York in May for a few days, so how excited was I to see that it co-insided with an opportunity to lunch and explore Greenwich Village with the author Adriana Trigiani.  (thanks to book club girl)
Lucia Lucia still remains one of my top 5 reads... written before the uber stylish 1950's Mad men hit our screens, this book evokes the great and the glamorous of that era!.... Adriana's recent Valentine series is set between Greenwhich village at a bespoke Wedding Shoe designers in Perry Street ( home of the famous brownstone of Carrie Bradshaw - the other queen of shoes!)....  in the UK if only the store was real, I would be flying back to the UK with excess baggage of Angelini Shoes!... Bravo Valentine is the 2nd Valentine book ( published as Encore Valentine in the UK) this takes Valentine to Buenos Aires which uncovers family mysteries and romance.. note of advice please have tissues handy when reading as i've cried at every one!... not a good look when you are commuting to work on the tube! The Valentine series contains Shoes, Baking and New York...three of my favourite things!... but most of all the love of a family x

1 comment:

Caroline said...

What a lovely post, Teresa. Am jealous of your NY trip. And I LOVE Adrianna Trigiani's books, particularly Lucia, Lucia.

Sunday, 1 May 2011

A Grandmother's Legacy....

growing up with my grandparents holds many special memories, and time spent swung like a pendulum between Nannies kitchen and Gramps's shed. Even though they are both gone now, I'm lucky to hold many special memories of them both. My nan was the matriarch of our family and Saturday was always bake day... savoury in the morning and sweet in the afternoon... as soon as our key was in the door the smell of baking wafted down the stairs ( no not cooking in the bedroom, they lived in a maisonette!).. and Nan's dress was always adorned with an apron!...
When she passed, her baking legacy was left to me complete with Good Housekeeping Compendium 1952 (complete with food stains and handwritten notes in the margins!), Stoneware Mixing Bowl and Cake spoons, Glass cake stands... and a be-loved apron.
With the Royal Wedding looming, out came the trusted book and Cupcakes made from the Sponge cake recipe... much tried and tested... adapted for the day with blueberries and raspberries....when complete the table looked like a family special occasion tea party..... bringing back many memories of celebrations past.

I had just arrived in New York 6 years ago when I heard the news that she had taken a turn for the worse, she passed as I was waiting to board a return flight home to London.....so although London is my home, New York will always hold my heart.... I am returning to New York in May for a few days, so how excited was I to see that it co-insided with an opportunity to lunch and explore Greenwich Village with the author Adriana Trigiani.  (thanks to book club girl)
Lucia Lucia still remains one of my top 5 reads... written before the uber stylish 1950's Mad men hit our screens, this book evokes the great and the glamorous of that era!.... Adriana's recent Valentine series is set between Greenwhich village at a bespoke Wedding Shoe designers in Perry Street ( home of the famous brownstone of Carrie Bradshaw - the other queen of shoes!)....  in the UK if only the store was real, I would be flying back to the UK with excess baggage of Angelini Shoes!... Bravo Valentine is the 2nd Valentine book ( published as Encore Valentine in the UK) this takes Valentine to Buenos Aires which uncovers family mysteries and romance.. note of advice please have tissues handy when reading as i've cried at every one!... not a good look when you are commuting to work on the tube! The Valentine series contains Shoes, Baking and New York...three of my favourite things!... but most of all the love of a family x

1 comment:

Caroline said...

What a lovely post, Teresa. Am jealous of your NY trip. And I LOVE Adrianna Trigiani's books, particularly Lucia, Lucia.