Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Park Life....

As the weather has been so lovely in London and I took an evening stroll in St James Park last night I thought I would share my other favourite park!...Central Park, my rambles in the park are usually mid winter, and often with snow on the ground! so this time around it was lovely to stroll amongst the greenery.
Central Park is half a mile wide and four miles long filled with many hidden gems. Due to a fabulously located hotel, ( I was half a block walk from the park on the west side, entering at 72nd street) the park was easy
access. 72nd Street entrance leads you into the Strawberry Fields area, a memorial to John Lennon, ( its across the street from the Dakota Buildings,where JL resided and was killed) This is a quiet zone of the park and the Imagine mosaic is often covered with flowers left by fans.

Most mornings I would sit and eat my breakfast overlooking the lake near Bow Bridge. This is the prettiest of the bridges and was blooming with blue hydrangeas whilst I was there. Across the bridge and around the lake by "The Ramble" leads you to Belvedere Castle which sits on a rock overlooking Turtle Pond and the Great Lawn. This was built in 1869 as a lookout but know houses the NY Meteorological Society.

This is a lovely building and captures a real fairytale essence of the park.The short hike to the top is worth it as the view is lovely. Early morning in the park you see the regular dog walkers, joggers, cyclists gathering together for a coffee & chat, a real sense of community... later in the day it becomes a great meeting place after work,
an evening stroll across Sheep Meadow saw lots of flying frisbees and softballs!

Sheep Meadow is a large field, with the Midtown Skyline as its backdrop....I took great delight in picnicking under a tree one evening, people watching... whilst reading a book..... often distracted by shirtless fit
joggers!....

The park has also had many a starring role in films.. here are some of my favourites, and contrary to most NY police/csi dramas is very safe!... I hope that you have enjoyed my slice of the park... a calming oasis amongst a city that never sleeps....

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

These photos are amazing. I'd like to go back to New York sometime. I'm ashamed to say to you that it didn't quite grab me as much as it has you, but reading your postings is helping me. If I remember rightly Bow Bridge was also featured in the film Highlander (one of my all time faves), I do have a very varied taste. Am loving reading about your trip.

Florence and Mary said...

I loved my walk through Central Park... it was fascinating seeing all the runners and exercising taking place!

Victoria xx

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Park Life....

As the weather has been so lovely in London and I took an evening stroll in St James Park last night I thought I would share my other favourite park!...Central Park, my rambles in the park are usually mid winter, and often with snow on the ground! so this time around it was lovely to stroll amongst the greenery.
Central Park is half a mile wide and four miles long filled with many hidden gems. Due to a fabulously located hotel, ( I was half a block walk from the park on the west side, entering at 72nd street) the park was easy
access. 72nd Street entrance leads you into the Strawberry Fields area, a memorial to John Lennon, ( its across the street from the Dakota Buildings,where JL resided and was killed) This is a quiet zone of the park and the Imagine mosaic is often covered with flowers left by fans.

Most mornings I would sit and eat my breakfast overlooking the lake near Bow Bridge. This is the prettiest of the bridges and was blooming with blue hydrangeas whilst I was there. Across the bridge and around the lake by "The Ramble" leads you to Belvedere Castle which sits on a rock overlooking Turtle Pond and the Great Lawn. This was built in 1869 as a lookout but know houses the NY Meteorological Society.

This is a lovely building and captures a real fairytale essence of the park.The short hike to the top is worth it as the view is lovely. Early morning in the park you see the regular dog walkers, joggers, cyclists gathering together for a coffee & chat, a real sense of community... later in the day it becomes a great meeting place after work,
an evening stroll across Sheep Meadow saw lots of flying frisbees and softballs!

Sheep Meadow is a large field, with the Midtown Skyline as its backdrop....I took great delight in picnicking under a tree one evening, people watching... whilst reading a book..... often distracted by shirtless fit
joggers!....

The park has also had many a starring role in films.. here are some of my favourites, and contrary to most NY police/csi dramas is very safe!... I hope that you have enjoyed my slice of the park... a calming oasis amongst a city that never sleeps....

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

These photos are amazing. I'd like to go back to New York sometime. I'm ashamed to say to you that it didn't quite grab me as much as it has you, but reading your postings is helping me. If I remember rightly Bow Bridge was also featured in the film Highlander (one of my all time faves), I do have a very varied taste. Am loving reading about your trip.

Florence and Mary said...

I loved my walk through Central Park... it was fascinating seeing all the runners and exercising taking place!

Victoria xx