Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Literary Life & Recent Reads...

the last couple of weeks have been filled with literary moments.... from coffee with the author Ali Mcnamara, to an evening of Shakespeare, and the final Harry Potter film opening, its all been a bit about books!....
and I've finally fallen in love with my Kindle!. I have resisted an "E" book for a long time, for many reasons as I am a book girl, I'm a cover junkie!, I love the smell of books, and that feeling when you pick up a new book !... none of this you get with a Kindle...however what you do get is the ability to have multiple books in your bag at anyone time, which makes when  when commuting & travelling a delight!... my recent trip to New York cemented my kinship with this book gadget!...
so what have I been reading...
Victoria Connelly ~ A weekend with Mr Darcy, how I missed this before i will never know but loved it... any fan of Jane Austen must read it..its been downloaded to my favourite books folder, and its inspired me to visit Winchester, somewhere I haven't been since I was in the Guides!... 2 women head to an Austen conference for a weekend which leads to chaos, intrigue and a little romance....
Lindsey Kelk ~ The Single Girls to do List... for a girl that loves a list this made me laugh out loud from the off... Rachels been dumped and her two best friends compile a list of things for her to do to cure her heartbreak... loved "Mr deeply-unsuitable"; story of my life!
Ciara Geraghty ~ Becoming Scarlett .. Ive just started this having loved her other book Saving Grace...
Victoria Connelly ~ The Perfect Hero ~ Loved Loved Loved this... Kay runs a B&B in the seaside town of Lyme Regis, where a new adaption of Persuasion is being filmed... with the cast descending on her little B&B and heart throbs sleeping under her roof, does she find her hero?.... I've read this twice now as I enjoyed it so much... I now want to go to Bath & Lyme!... Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austin both as a book and as a BBC adaption so this was probably always going to be a winner for me!

Finally a couple of weeks ago I met up with the delightful Ali Mcnamara for a coffee in Aubaine in Selfridges, nestled between Tods & Chanel in the shoe gallery, its a Ladies that Lunch treat!... Ali was delightful and we chatted lots about New York and her books. I'm looking forward to the next book Breakfast at Darcy's
as you may have read Ali has just heard that  From Nottinghill with Love Actually has been signed for launch in America, which is fabulous news... whilst she was down in London she has been busy working on her 3rd book which is a follow on from FNWLA... can't wait!... especially as it features New York!... had a lovely chat, and looking forward to catching up again the next time she's in London.

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

Thanks again for more of your recommendations. I really enjoy reading these, and have bought quite a few of the books you have recommended and really enjoyed them. I was tempted at a kindle, but I enjoy buying books too much. Maybe when the house starts groaning with the weight of all the books I've bought then I might rethink again lol! As you say tho' it must be a perfect buy when travelling out of the country.

Florence and Mary said...

I really want a kindle, my mum loves her but I can't get my head round paying for books yet although it'd be far nicer carrying that around than a huge book!

Victoria xx

Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Literary Life & Recent Reads...

the last couple of weeks have been filled with literary moments.... from coffee with the author Ali Mcnamara, to an evening of Shakespeare, and the final Harry Potter film opening, its all been a bit about books!....
and I've finally fallen in love with my Kindle!. I have resisted an "E" book for a long time, for many reasons as I am a book girl, I'm a cover junkie!, I love the smell of books, and that feeling when you pick up a new book !... none of this you get with a Kindle...however what you do get is the ability to have multiple books in your bag at anyone time, which makes when  when commuting & travelling a delight!... my recent trip to New York cemented my kinship with this book gadget!...
so what have I been reading...
Victoria Connelly ~ A weekend with Mr Darcy, how I missed this before i will never know but loved it... any fan of Jane Austen must read it..its been downloaded to my favourite books folder, and its inspired me to visit Winchester, somewhere I haven't been since I was in the Guides!... 2 women head to an Austen conference for a weekend which leads to chaos, intrigue and a little romance....
Lindsey Kelk ~ The Single Girls to do List... for a girl that loves a list this made me laugh out loud from the off... Rachels been dumped and her two best friends compile a list of things for her to do to cure her heartbreak... loved "Mr deeply-unsuitable"; story of my life!
Ciara Geraghty ~ Becoming Scarlett .. Ive just started this having loved her other book Saving Grace...
Victoria Connelly ~ The Perfect Hero ~ Loved Loved Loved this... Kay runs a B&B in the seaside town of Lyme Regis, where a new adaption of Persuasion is being filmed... with the cast descending on her little B&B and heart throbs sleeping under her roof, does she find her hero?.... I've read this twice now as I enjoyed it so much... I now want to go to Bath & Lyme!... Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austin both as a book and as a BBC adaption so this was probably always going to be a winner for me!

Finally a couple of weeks ago I met up with the delightful Ali Mcnamara for a coffee in Aubaine in Selfridges, nestled between Tods & Chanel in the shoe gallery, its a Ladies that Lunch treat!... Ali was delightful and we chatted lots about New York and her books. I'm looking forward to the next book Breakfast at Darcy's
as you may have read Ali has just heard that  From Nottinghill with Love Actually has been signed for launch in America, which is fabulous news... whilst she was down in London she has been busy working on her 3rd book which is a follow on from FNWLA... can't wait!... especially as it features New York!... had a lovely chat, and looking forward to catching up again the next time she's in London.

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

Thanks again for more of your recommendations. I really enjoy reading these, and have bought quite a few of the books you have recommended and really enjoyed them. I was tempted at a kindle, but I enjoy buying books too much. Maybe when the house starts groaning with the weight of all the books I've bought then I might rethink again lol! As you say tho' it must be a perfect buy when travelling out of the country.

Florence and Mary said...

I really want a kindle, my mum loves her but I can't get my head round paying for books yet although it'd be far nicer carrying that around than a huge book!

Victoria xx