Saturday, 3 September 2011

Summer Reads ~ chapter 1

I use the title loosely as summer seems to have passed us by in August!... but with my daily commute my book reads have been sheer escapism... I can pretend whilst sweating on the tube, that i am sitting under a palm tree, being fanned by George Clooney, sipping cocktails and devouring my Kindle ( or that could be George!)
Whilst I have moved over to the dark side of Kindle reading, I have still purchased some books.... in particular the fabulous Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan (complete with recipe cards!)
  • Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe ~ Jenny Colgan (I can't tell you how many people tweeted or text me to say, "saw this and thought of you!") I read this a while back, but have not got round to blogging.... Issy has grown up with her beloved Gramps who was a baker.. a inherited love of baking sees her start a cupcake cafe... through precious letters & recipes sent to her from her Gramps she sets out starting a business, not gaining the best support from her friends ( Izzy can be a bit ditzy!) she gets stuck in to prove them all wrong!... I loved this book, it has a character I could so relate to, her relationship with her Gramps was so poignant to me, and yes of course it made me cry! ( It had me at Gramps x) and lots of recipes!!...It's in the running for "Favourite book of year!"... a must for anyone who loves cupcakes or dreams of opening their own cafe!..
  • From London with Love ~ Jemma Forte.... how would you deal with life if your mum & dad were  007 and his most famous Bond girl!.. Jessica wants a life of her own .. so she heads for London where no one knows her as the Bond Girls daughter...and gets a job running for a TV company.. a great romp through London & the TV world!... sheer escapism.
  • The Beach Cafe ~ Lucy Diamond... having spent many of me teenage years on the beaches of Cornwall, this made me wanting to pack my cake tins and head down to the Cornish coast and open a cafe. Evie (the black sheep of the family) inherits the cafe from her aunt, not knowing really what she wants from life she heads down to Cornwall. Surprised by what she finds and trying to deal with a long term relationship she realises that obstacles need to be overcome!... with laugh out loud humour, perfect heros and food to dribble over the pages to... a perfect summer read.. loved it!
Pop back tomorrow for my Summer Reads ~ Chapter 2!.... I have been reading lots!

2 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe is such a good read, I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about it!

Victoria xxx

Archies Mum said...

I sooo love your book reviews. I've just finished reading Something Borrowed (loved it and am looking at buying the follow on). I've also got the cupcake cafe book but haven't got round to reading it yet. There may be a few more purchases that I might just have to buy now. Keep up the reviews please :)

Saturday, 3 September 2011

Summer Reads ~ chapter 1

I use the title loosely as summer seems to have passed us by in August!... but with my daily commute my book reads have been sheer escapism... I can pretend whilst sweating on the tube, that i am sitting under a palm tree, being fanned by George Clooney, sipping cocktails and devouring my Kindle ( or that could be George!)
Whilst I have moved over to the dark side of Kindle reading, I have still purchased some books.... in particular the fabulous Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan (complete with recipe cards!)
  • Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe ~ Jenny Colgan (I can't tell you how many people tweeted or text me to say, "saw this and thought of you!") I read this a while back, but have not got round to blogging.... Issy has grown up with her beloved Gramps who was a baker.. a inherited love of baking sees her start a cupcake cafe... through precious letters & recipes sent to her from her Gramps she sets out starting a business, not gaining the best support from her friends ( Izzy can be a bit ditzy!) she gets stuck in to prove them all wrong!... I loved this book, it has a character I could so relate to, her relationship with her Gramps was so poignant to me, and yes of course it made me cry! ( It had me at Gramps x) and lots of recipes!!...It's in the running for "Favourite book of year!"... a must for anyone who loves cupcakes or dreams of opening their own cafe!..
  • From London with Love ~ Jemma Forte.... how would you deal with life if your mum & dad were  007 and his most famous Bond girl!.. Jessica wants a life of her own .. so she heads for London where no one knows her as the Bond Girls daughter...and gets a job running for a TV company.. a great romp through London & the TV world!... sheer escapism.
  • The Beach Cafe ~ Lucy Diamond... having spent many of me teenage years on the beaches of Cornwall, this made me wanting to pack my cake tins and head down to the Cornish coast and open a cafe. Evie (the black sheep of the family) inherits the cafe from her aunt, not knowing really what she wants from life she heads down to Cornwall. Surprised by what she finds and trying to deal with a long term relationship she realises that obstacles need to be overcome!... with laugh out loud humour, perfect heros and food to dribble over the pages to... a perfect summer read.. loved it!
Pop back tomorrow for my Summer Reads ~ Chapter 2!.... I have been reading lots!

2 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe is such a good read, I haven't heard anyone say a bad word about it!

Victoria xxx

Archies Mum said...

I sooo love your book reviews. I've just finished reading Something Borrowed (loved it and am looking at buying the follow on). I've also got the cupcake cafe book but haven't got round to reading it yet. There may be a few more purchases that I might just have to buy now. Keep up the reviews please :)