Monday, 23 July 2012

Olympic survival kit....

Unless you have been in solitary confinement or on another planet for the past year it would have not have escaped your notice that in less than a week, we GB are going to stage the greatest sporting event in the world. Yes the 2012 Olympics.... I have mixed feelings about the event. I am sure it will be spectacular and will showcase London to its finest, but I am dreading the commute.
I travel through and change at Stratford daily and have seen the transformation of the olympic park over the last 7 years and look forward to visiting it next week, BUT our transport system cannot cope with day to day commuters into London, without an extra million travellers a day.
Today alone, passenger under a train, signal failure and line suspension on the Central Line! Welcome to London & summer armpit hell!
TFL have bombarded us with posters, ads emails etc for months telling us to Get ahead of the Games and look for alternative routes if travel.... Not easy when all the alternatives are hotspot stations!... I am sure by Friday I would have been swept up into Olympic fever along with the nation, but spare a thought for us commuters who have now become unofficial tour guides assisting the 100's of visitors who have no idea where they are going irrespective of the neon pink Olympic signage at each station!
In order to be prepared and inspired by the Survivalkits at work (fell in love with the Mulberry one) I have put together my own, comprising of :
London 2012 guide ~ things to do if commute is delayed
Navy burberry Pack-a-mac ~ summer showers!
Picnic rug ~ picnic in park or a wet bench
Water bottle ~ tube delays
Going for gold coffee mug ~ caffeine fix
Kindle - loaded with summer & Olympic reads
Sweets
Book ~ in case I forget to charge the kindle
iPod ~ music to walk to
Walking map ~ Bond street to Liverpool street
and a couple of zipped pouches, ideal for splitting up cash & cards so that they are not all together all thrown into my Mulberry tote.

So if you are coming to London, enjoy, be prepared and be safe. Stand on the right of the escalators on the tube and not stop dead the minute you disembark an escalator or tube and you will make us commuters happy.
Have a fabulous time x


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

I feel your pain.... every station I can use is a hotspot!!! Yesterday 2 hours into work... coming home I gave up and went to Chingford and paid £15 for a cab home although can't do that for a month!!

I keep joking about a survival kit but think it's something I really need to do!!

Victoria xx

Archies Mum said...

Doesn't sound like its going to be fun for you having to do your daily commute. They don't think of the poor people that live and work in the vicinity. Good luck and hope its not too bad for you. Your survival kit sounds like you could do with a rucksack lol x

Pennyblossoms said...

I think that survival kit'd work all year round, Olympics or not!
I feel for F&M above...15 quid for a cab home. Sheesh!
I think 'don't stop as soon as you step off an escalator' really needs to be posted on the wall, all the way along them, doesn't it??
Z xx

Monday, 23 July 2012

Olympic survival kit....

Unless you have been in solitary confinement or on another planet for the past year it would have not have escaped your notice that in less than a week, we GB are going to stage the greatest sporting event in the world. Yes the 2012 Olympics.... I have mixed feelings about the event. I am sure it will be spectacular and will showcase London to its finest, but I am dreading the commute.
I travel through and change at Stratford daily and have seen the transformation of the olympic park over the last 7 years and look forward to visiting it next week, BUT our transport system cannot cope with day to day commuters into London, without an extra million travellers a day.
Today alone, passenger under a train, signal failure and line suspension on the Central Line! Welcome to London & summer armpit hell!
TFL have bombarded us with posters, ads emails etc for months telling us to Get ahead of the Games and look for alternative routes if travel.... Not easy when all the alternatives are hotspot stations!... I am sure by Friday I would have been swept up into Olympic fever along with the nation, but spare a thought for us commuters who have now become unofficial tour guides assisting the 100's of visitors who have no idea where they are going irrespective of the neon pink Olympic signage at each station!
In order to be prepared and inspired by the Survivalkits at work (fell in love with the Mulberry one) I have put together my own, comprising of :
London 2012 guide ~ things to do if commute is delayed
Navy burberry Pack-a-mac ~ summer showers!
Picnic rug ~ picnic in park or a wet bench
Water bottle ~ tube delays
Going for gold coffee mug ~ caffeine fix
Kindle - loaded with summer & Olympic reads
Sweets
Book ~ in case I forget to charge the kindle
iPod ~ music to walk to
Walking map ~ Bond street to Liverpool street
and a couple of zipped pouches, ideal for splitting up cash & cards so that they are not all together all thrown into my Mulberry tote.

So if you are coming to London, enjoy, be prepared and be safe. Stand on the right of the escalators on the tube and not stop dead the minute you disembark an escalator or tube and you will make us commuters happy.
Have a fabulous time x


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

I feel your pain.... every station I can use is a hotspot!!! Yesterday 2 hours into work... coming home I gave up and went to Chingford and paid £15 for a cab home although can't do that for a month!!

I keep joking about a survival kit but think it's something I really need to do!!

Victoria xx

Archies Mum said...

Doesn't sound like its going to be fun for you having to do your daily commute. They don't think of the poor people that live and work in the vicinity. Good luck and hope its not too bad for you. Your survival kit sounds like you could do with a rucksack lol x

Pennyblossoms said...

I think that survival kit'd work all year round, Olympics or not!
I feel for F&M above...15 quid for a cab home. Sheesh!
I think 'don't stop as soon as you step off an escalator' really needs to be posted on the wall, all the way along them, doesn't it??
Z xx