Sunday, 12 August 2012

My Olympic adventure.. part1

Life for me over the past 16 days has been taken over by the Olympic bubble.... London is fantastic, atmosphere is amazing and everyone is happy! its like being in a Sporting Disneyland..  instead of "its a small world" on repeat in your brain its "chariots of fire"!.... i think that the success of the London 2012 Olympics and Team GB has surpassed all of the nations expectations and has been a truly magical experience...
I was lucky enough to get tickets for a couple of events and to the Park so will share my adventures with you over a couple of posts....
As previously blogged my Olympic adventures started on my birthday where I had tickets for Archery at Lords and Beach Volleyball at Horseguards...
Due to a traffic free journey I disembarked at Baker street and decided to stroll through Regents park to Lords. The day started as overcast with a threat for rain in the afternoon ( not surprised as I have yet to celebrate a birthday without it raining!)... The park was a bloom of patriotic planting, and the Sherlock Holmes Wenlock was a hidden treat!...
With time on my side I stopped for a bench picnic under a weeping willow sheltering from the drizzle, before crossing the road to Lords cricket ground where the Archery was being played....
With the Que snaking around the perimeter of the cricket ground, 30 minutes before the session started I did feel that I wasn't going to see any of the sets, but was overwhelmed by how organised it all was. The Gamesmakers were so friendly and helpful and the Military who were securing and processing the entry and airport scanners were exemplary (if only they worked at our airports - passport control & screening would be seamless).
On arrival into Lords the venue had been transformed and took my seat to enjoy a couple of hours of modern Robin Hood ... shooting over 70 metres at targets 122cm diameter, aiming for a gold circle just 12.2cm wide is a remarkable skill. 
With bursts of short sharp showers during play the stands were awash with poncho's & brollies, but remained packed. The commentator assuring us that rain does not stop play,only lightening! Sets from both the womens and mens competitors in the preliminary rounds.
I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon of archery, which was far more exciting live than watching on the TV.


No comments:

Sunday, 12 August 2012

My Olympic adventure.. part1

Life for me over the past 16 days has been taken over by the Olympic bubble.... London is fantastic, atmosphere is amazing and everyone is happy! its like being in a Sporting Disneyland..  instead of "its a small world" on repeat in your brain its "chariots of fire"!.... i think that the success of the London 2012 Olympics and Team GB has surpassed all of the nations expectations and has been a truly magical experience...
I was lucky enough to get tickets for a couple of events and to the Park so will share my adventures with you over a couple of posts....
As previously blogged my Olympic adventures started on my birthday where I had tickets for Archery at Lords and Beach Volleyball at Horseguards...
Due to a traffic free journey I disembarked at Baker street and decided to stroll through Regents park to Lords. The day started as overcast with a threat for rain in the afternoon ( not surprised as I have yet to celebrate a birthday without it raining!)... The park was a bloom of patriotic planting, and the Sherlock Holmes Wenlock was a hidden treat!...
With time on my side I stopped for a bench picnic under a weeping willow sheltering from the drizzle, before crossing the road to Lords cricket ground where the Archery was being played....
With the Que snaking around the perimeter of the cricket ground, 30 minutes before the session started I did feel that I wasn't going to see any of the sets, but was overwhelmed by how organised it all was. The Gamesmakers were so friendly and helpful and the Military who were securing and processing the entry and airport scanners were exemplary (if only they worked at our airports - passport control & screening would be seamless).
On arrival into Lords the venue had been transformed and took my seat to enjoy a couple of hours of modern Robin Hood ... shooting over 70 metres at targets 122cm diameter, aiming for a gold circle just 12.2cm wide is a remarkable skill. 
With bursts of short sharp showers during play the stands were awash with poncho's & brollies, but remained packed. The commentator assuring us that rain does not stop play,only lightening! Sets from both the womens and mens competitors in the preliminary rounds.
I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon of archery, which was far more exciting live than watching on the TV.


No comments: