Sunday, 7 October 2012

Diamonds & Dancing..

I spent a fabulous day in London on Saturday with two special ladies in my life, Marion and Mary. They are both sprightly OAP's with Marion now in her early 70's (she will hate me for that!)... most Saturday evenings I meet them for an Indian supper and some months ago both mentioned that they would love to go to Buckingham palace... so Saturday dawned the perfect autumnal day and we headed to the palace. Out tickets were for the 11.30 entrance. We were astonished to see the 1000's of people outside the palace when we exited Green Park, waiting for the Changing of the Guard.
The palace is stunning and the tour takes you through a number of rooms before exiting out onto the gardens of the Palace.
As it's the Queens Diamond jubilee this year the special exhibition was Diamonds. This was the slowest part of the tour as everyone crowded around the exhibits which were stunning.... I was amazed on how small Queen Victorias crown was. There was so many gorgeous pieces it was hard to have a favourite.
The gardens looked beautiful and against the blue sky you could just start to see some of them turning for autumn..
with a leisurely stroll through St James Park which was awash with families and tourists enjoying the last rays of a London sunshine we headed onto the Mall for our afternoon treat at the theatre.
Our afternoon was spent at the Aldwych theatre for the matinee performance of Top Hat. I had already seen this but knew it would be perfect for the M & M... who thoroughly enjoyed it.... Here is my post from previous show.
alas we didn't see Tom Chambers at this show but his understudy was fantastic and we did get to see my friends husband dance the lead tango in the Lido scene and the role of the shadow which was very good.
After a morning of Diamonds and an afternoon of Dancing we headed home for a supper of Curry and a rest!...A fabulous day had by all.... I hope I am that sprightly and that much fun when I'm in my 70's!

No comments:

Sunday, 7 October 2012

Diamonds & Dancing..

I spent a fabulous day in London on Saturday with two special ladies in my life, Marion and Mary. They are both sprightly OAP's with Marion now in her early 70's (she will hate me for that!)... most Saturday evenings I meet them for an Indian supper and some months ago both mentioned that they would love to go to Buckingham palace... so Saturday dawned the perfect autumnal day and we headed to the palace. Out tickets were for the 11.30 entrance. We were astonished to see the 1000's of people outside the palace when we exited Green Park, waiting for the Changing of the Guard.
The palace is stunning and the tour takes you through a number of rooms before exiting out onto the gardens of the Palace.
As it's the Queens Diamond jubilee this year the special exhibition was Diamonds. This was the slowest part of the tour as everyone crowded around the exhibits which were stunning.... I was amazed on how small Queen Victorias crown was. There was so many gorgeous pieces it was hard to have a favourite.
The gardens looked beautiful and against the blue sky you could just start to see some of them turning for autumn..
with a leisurely stroll through St James Park which was awash with families and tourists enjoying the last rays of a London sunshine we headed onto the Mall for our afternoon treat at the theatre.
Our afternoon was spent at the Aldwych theatre for the matinee performance of Top Hat. I had already seen this but knew it would be perfect for the M & M... who thoroughly enjoyed it.... Here is my post from previous show.
alas we didn't see Tom Chambers at this show but his understudy was fantastic and we did get to see my friends husband dance the lead tango in the Lido scene and the role of the shadow which was very good.
After a morning of Diamonds and an afternoon of Dancing we headed home for a supper of Curry and a rest!...A fabulous day had by all.... I hope I am that sprightly and that much fun when I'm in my 70's!

No comments: