Thursday, 24 January 2013

Ballet & burgers

My friend and I usually try to do something together as a Christmas treat. For the last few years the ballet has formed part of my holiday season activities. Normally it is some form of The Nutcracker, however with this already part of my New York adventures I wanted to do something different in London. This year I booked to take us to see Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty. Matthew Bourne is famous for his contemporary ballets so I knew that it would not be anything traditional!
The ballet had a very gothic feel from the start and was a world away from the Disney version!... The opening act was amazing which featured a puppet baby which was just simply brilliant. The dancers we spellbinding.

As ever with Matthew's writing there was a fantastic twist which bought Sleeping Beauty into the 21st century and present day on waking!.... It was Sleeping Beauty mets True Blood/Twilight... 
We had a fabulous evening and avidly wait for Matthew's next fable!
As with every trip to the ballet we usually accompany by a trip for Byrons Burgers!.... The tradition continued this year with a trip to Byron's in Islington.... Perfect burgers, beer and then a treat at the Ballet.

No comments:

Thursday, 24 January 2013

Ballet & burgers

My friend and I usually try to do something together as a Christmas treat. For the last few years the ballet has formed part of my holiday season activities. Normally it is some form of The Nutcracker, however with this already part of my New York adventures I wanted to do something different in London. This year I booked to take us to see Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty. Matthew Bourne is famous for his contemporary ballets so I knew that it would not be anything traditional!
The ballet had a very gothic feel from the start and was a world away from the Disney version!... The opening act was amazing which featured a puppet baby which was just simply brilliant. The dancers we spellbinding.

As ever with Matthew's writing there was a fantastic twist which bought Sleeping Beauty into the 21st century and present day on waking!.... It was Sleeping Beauty mets True Blood/Twilight... 
We had a fabulous evening and avidly wait for Matthew's next fable!
As with every trip to the ballet we usually accompany by a trip for Byrons Burgers!.... The tradition continued this year with a trip to Byron's in Islington.... Perfect burgers, beer and then a treat at the Ballet.

No comments: