Saturday, 11 May 2013

5 books...

That have influenced my life... For a complete book worm this was a hard choice to make, but I have picked 5 books that have had a fundamental influence in my life so far!
  • The Secret Seven series - Enid Blyton.  I can't whittle down one book as I was and still are a huge Enid Blyton fan. I know that she isn't PC these days but as a small child she grabbed my attention and took me to magical places far away.. From the Magic Faraway tree adventures, to   The boarding school corridors of St Clair's I wanted to live those adventures. However it was the adventures and sleuthing of the Secret 7 and Famous 5 that I wanted to live... Summers spent in a field with a jam sandwiches & lashings of ginger beer picnic and my head in a book... Perfect.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee. This was study book for my o'levels and it captured me completely. Atticus Finch so reminded me of my grandad, quiet, stoic, but with amazing words of wisdom. This book demonstrates the injustice of racial prejudice along with dealing with some tough domestic issues...narrated through the eyes of a small girl, Scout. Still one of my most thumbed books in my bookcase
  • Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" one of the best opening lines in a book ever. This is my most read book, and every homage to it since in the chicklit genre I have devoured since Jane Austen put pen to paper 200 years ago. Completely adore Mr Darcy... Unfortunately real life not as good as fiction!
  • Scarpetta series - Patricia Cornwell. From a very early age I wanted to be a coroner / forensic scientist. Alas life didn't quite work out how I planned, but I have managed to live some of that life through Cornwell's  books... 23 books in I still love them and buy every hardback on day of publishing. They are not for the squeamish as the descriptions are quite graphic. 
  • The Two of Us - Sheila Hancock.  This book saved my life... John Thaw was one of my favourite actors, from Regan in Sweeney to Inspector Morse I was an avid viewer. I had heard Sheila talking on Radio of how the book had helped her dealing with grief after his death. This book landed in my lap 9 months after loosing my nan, when I was in such a black hole, there was little rational to my thinking. I really did think that I would be better off not here. I read this book in 2 days and it pulled me back from a brink, it made me see that I wasn't going mad and that my days could be up & down and that grief touched people at different times and places... It was ok to cry, whilst sitting at the traffic lights in your car and there would be days when you wouldn't be able to get out of bed... But it would get better... I'm so glad I read this book, I have read it again since, and thoroughly enjoyed reading the life of 2 of Britain's much loved actors.
    I devour so many books each month... Here are a few posts.

3 comments:

jbistheinitial said...

I loved Blyton's books too - my two brothers and I would team up with four sisters we were friends with, and we would 'become' the Secret Seven... our adventures were always a pale comparison to the true seven's.

topchelseagirl said...

Everyone always goes on about the Famous Five, but I was a Secret Seven devotee. Glad to find another one.

Victoria Eales said...

I used to love the Patricia Cornwall books, I haven't read something from her in years!

V x

Saturday, 11 May 2013

5 books...

That have influenced my life... For a complete book worm this was a hard choice to make, but I have picked 5 books that have had a fundamental influence in my life so far!
  • The Secret Seven series - Enid Blyton.  I can't whittle down one book as I was and still are a huge Enid Blyton fan. I know that she isn't PC these days but as a small child she grabbed my attention and took me to magical places far away.. From the Magic Faraway tree adventures, to   The boarding school corridors of St Clair's I wanted to live those adventures. However it was the adventures and sleuthing of the Secret 7 and Famous 5 that I wanted to live... Summers spent in a field with a jam sandwiches & lashings of ginger beer picnic and my head in a book... Perfect.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee. This was study book for my o'levels and it captured me completely. Atticus Finch so reminded me of my grandad, quiet, stoic, but with amazing words of wisdom. This book demonstrates the injustice of racial prejudice along with dealing with some tough domestic issues...narrated through the eyes of a small girl, Scout. Still one of my most thumbed books in my bookcase
  • Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" one of the best opening lines in a book ever. This is my most read book, and every homage to it since in the chicklit genre I have devoured since Jane Austen put pen to paper 200 years ago. Completely adore Mr Darcy... Unfortunately real life not as good as fiction!
  • Scarpetta series - Patricia Cornwell. From a very early age I wanted to be a coroner / forensic scientist. Alas life didn't quite work out how I planned, but I have managed to live some of that life through Cornwell's  books... 23 books in I still love them and buy every hardback on day of publishing. They are not for the squeamish as the descriptions are quite graphic. 
  • The Two of Us - Sheila Hancock.  This book saved my life... John Thaw was one of my favourite actors, from Regan in Sweeney to Inspector Morse I was an avid viewer. I had heard Sheila talking on Radio of how the book had helped her dealing with grief after his death. This book landed in my lap 9 months after loosing my nan, when I was in such a black hole, there was little rational to my thinking. I really did think that I would be better off not here. I read this book in 2 days and it pulled me back from a brink, it made me see that I wasn't going mad and that my days could be up & down and that grief touched people at different times and places... It was ok to cry, whilst sitting at the traffic lights in your car and there would be days when you wouldn't be able to get out of bed... But it would get better... I'm so glad I read this book, I have read it again since, and thoroughly enjoyed reading the life of 2 of Britain's much loved actors.
    I devour so many books each month... Here are a few posts.

3 comments:

jbistheinitial said...

I loved Blyton's books too - my two brothers and I would team up with four sisters we were friends with, and we would 'become' the Secret Seven... our adventures were always a pale comparison to the true seven's.

topchelseagirl said...

Everyone always goes on about the Famous Five, but I was a Secret Seven devotee. Glad to find another one.

Victoria Eales said...

I used to love the Patricia Cornwall books, I haven't read something from her in years!

V x