Monday, 12 August 2013

Life is a journey.....

and the road travelled is full of crossroads!... This post is unlike my usual, but just felt the need to share the journey that I am on, which at the moment is full of crossroads and twists & turns.
Right now there is much Change in my life, professionally and personally.
Home life has been full of birthdays, anniversaries and challenges (some of which were birthdays & anniversaries).... Over the past month my nephew ended up in a burns clinic in the New Forest with 3rd degree burns to his foot from a camping accident!.. My niece had a burst appendix and an emergency dash to hospital and my SIL has just gone through a redundancy restructure which has resulted in her loosing her job after 26 years with the same business.  This has caused some distress within our small family, as she has always been a high performer and we never expected that she would meet the redundancy criteria. One persons personal opinion can change someones life in a moment. ...she isn't going without a fight. They have now departed on holiday for a little rest & relaxation for a couple of weeks and space to evaluate what they are going to do next.
Recently a new 'head of' was appointed within my department and although I believe that this will have a positive influence on the department, I can say that the honeymoon period is over. Roles and structures are being evaluated and much change is ahead. Having been through this process a couple of times before it always makes me a little unsettled.  As previously posted I am very confident in my work space but completely lack that in my personal life and having just witnessed my SIL go through something similar it does make me nervous. Contrary to all the employment laws, it is still harder to
be a high performing female in the workplace, age still influences decision making of employment and people still judge you on what you look like... This is quite a contentious statement but the reality is still out there... Business are just very good at working round this without appearing discriminative.  As I embark on this journey I need to take my team along with it and engage them on this journey... Thankfully I have a great team, who as well as doing a fab job have the ability to make me laugh out loud every day. This is what they sent me today!!!.....
Outside of work my two little kittens have bought much fun to my home... It's lovely having 2 little faces peering through the door as I put my key in the lock, haven't felt this wanted or loved since Gramps.
 I am having to evaluate how I do things at home... This weeks challenges are that the ironing board & clothes airer make fabulous climbing frames!... a new cover for the ironing board is on the shopping list as the current one has been shredded... They bring so much fun and mischief to my day that I can turn a blind eye to their little misdemeanours.... More kitty tales to come.

2 comments:

Victoria Eales said...

Sorry to hear about such worrying times

Victoria

FlorenceandMary.com

mrsmsmeanderings said...

So sorry to hear about your niece and nephew - do hope they are both on the mend now.

I don't think you do yourself justice as regards your self-confidence - just look at all the amazing things you do all by yourself (eg holiday in New York) and manage to have the most fabulous time, despite not having company. The vast majority of people would never be as brave as you. And you are such a friendly, open, easy person to chat to as well. Honestly, you're more confident than you think! xx

Monday, 12 August 2013

Life is a journey.....

and the road travelled is full of crossroads!... This post is unlike my usual, but just felt the need to share the journey that I am on, which at the moment is full of crossroads and twists & turns.
Right now there is much Change in my life, professionally and personally.
Home life has been full of birthdays, anniversaries and challenges (some of which were birthdays & anniversaries).... Over the past month my nephew ended up in a burns clinic in the New Forest with 3rd degree burns to his foot from a camping accident!.. My niece had a burst appendix and an emergency dash to hospital and my SIL has just gone through a redundancy restructure which has resulted in her loosing her job after 26 years with the same business.  This has caused some distress within our small family, as she has always been a high performer and we never expected that she would meet the redundancy criteria. One persons personal opinion can change someones life in a moment. ...she isn't going without a fight. They have now departed on holiday for a little rest & relaxation for a couple of weeks and space to evaluate what they are going to do next.
Recently a new 'head of' was appointed within my department and although I believe that this will have a positive influence on the department, I can say that the honeymoon period is over. Roles and structures are being evaluated and much change is ahead. Having been through this process a couple of times before it always makes me a little unsettled.  As previously posted I am very confident in my work space but completely lack that in my personal life and having just witnessed my SIL go through something similar it does make me nervous. Contrary to all the employment laws, it is still harder to
be a high performing female in the workplace, age still influences decision making of employment and people still judge you on what you look like... This is quite a contentious statement but the reality is still out there... Business are just very good at working round this without appearing discriminative.  As I embark on this journey I need to take my team along with it and engage them on this journey... Thankfully I have a great team, who as well as doing a fab job have the ability to make me laugh out loud every day. This is what they sent me today!!!.....
Outside of work my two little kittens have bought much fun to my home... It's lovely having 2 little faces peering through the door as I put my key in the lock, haven't felt this wanted or loved since Gramps.
 I am having to evaluate how I do things at home... This weeks challenges are that the ironing board & clothes airer make fabulous climbing frames!... a new cover for the ironing board is on the shopping list as the current one has been shredded... They bring so much fun and mischief to my day that I can turn a blind eye to their little misdemeanours.... More kitty tales to come.

2 comments:

Victoria Eales said...

Sorry to hear about such worrying times

Victoria

FlorenceandMary.com

mrsmsmeanderings said...

So sorry to hear about your niece and nephew - do hope they are both on the mend now.

I don't think you do yourself justice as regards your self-confidence - just look at all the amazing things you do all by yourself (eg holiday in New York) and manage to have the most fabulous time, despite not having company. The vast majority of people would never be as brave as you. And you are such a friendly, open, easy person to chat to as well. Honestly, you're more confident than you think! xx