Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Another rung on ladder...

Back in August I talked of some of the changes that I was going through both at work and at home.  This culminated in me after 7 years of doing what I do, make the decision  to change direction and look for a new job. Primarily this decision was made not because I didn't enjoy where I worked but because saw little career progression and financial security for me over the next 10 years. Being a female in middle management in your 5th decade is quite uncertain and doesn't give you lots of opportunities.... This led me on a journey both at work and outside, at times stressful and exciting.

After making the decision I sent my CV out to some agencies and had 11 interests within 24 hours, and within a week I had 7 firm offers. The interview / job market world has changed lots. Some of my interviews were via Skype, some telephone and others face to face. During this time I also sat down with my boss & HR and told them that I was considering leaving. They came back to me with a great offer and long term career promotion to consider.
One of my interviews took me to the heart of the Essex countryside where I took some time out of a busy stressful time to sit by a river and have some lunch... How lovely in October, perfect place to sit and think.

After lots of lists of pros /cons I have decided to stay where I am and take the promotion being offered. This was announced this week which has led to lots of lovely congratulations messages, and good wishes. Nothing changes much for me at the moment as with retail Christmas is now upon us, but will see some changes day to day from the New Year.

This journey has done wonders for my confidence and I'm slowly beginning to accept compliments when given!

3 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Oh, congratulations, Teresa - that's brilliant news. Seven job offers within a week - you rock!! xx

Victoria Eales said...

Congratulations and well deserved.

Victoria x

FlorenceandMary.com

Archies Mum said...

Congratulations on your promotion. You must be so pleased, well done. Sometimes the threat of leaving makes people see how such an excellent worker they have. Too many times these big firms take people for granted. Enjoy xx

Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Another rung on ladder...

Back in August I talked of some of the changes that I was going through both at work and at home.  This culminated in me after 7 years of doing what I do, make the decision  to change direction and look for a new job. Primarily this decision was made not because I didn't enjoy where I worked but because saw little career progression and financial security for me over the next 10 years. Being a female in middle management in your 5th decade is quite uncertain and doesn't give you lots of opportunities.... This led me on a journey both at work and outside, at times stressful and exciting.

After making the decision I sent my CV out to some agencies and had 11 interests within 24 hours, and within a week I had 7 firm offers. The interview / job market world has changed lots. Some of my interviews were via Skype, some telephone and others face to face. During this time I also sat down with my boss & HR and told them that I was considering leaving. They came back to me with a great offer and long term career promotion to consider.
One of my interviews took me to the heart of the Essex countryside where I took some time out of a busy stressful time to sit by a river and have some lunch... How lovely in October, perfect place to sit and think.

After lots of lists of pros /cons I have decided to stay where I am and take the promotion being offered. This was announced this week which has led to lots of lovely congratulations messages, and good wishes. Nothing changes much for me at the moment as with retail Christmas is now upon us, but will see some changes day to day from the New Year.

This journey has done wonders for my confidence and I'm slowly beginning to accept compliments when given!

3 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Oh, congratulations, Teresa - that's brilliant news. Seven job offers within a week - you rock!! xx

Victoria Eales said...

Congratulations and well deserved.

Victoria x

FlorenceandMary.com

Archies Mum said...

Congratulations on your promotion. You must be so pleased, well done. Sometimes the threat of leaving makes people see how such an excellent worker they have. Too many times these big firms take people for granted. Enjoy xx