Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Wednesday Words- my february 5

Welcome to my Wednesday words.... so far this month I have read 5 books on my daily commute.
Books are an integral part of my commute and if I don't have at least 2 options available either in book form or on kindle I get a little anxious! ... silly I know, but I really cant do the commute without. Thankyou ladies for taking me to other peoples lives on my daily commute. Alas not much reading done last week due to the commute being by car to deal with the tube strikes which seemed to last for days.... but determined to make up for this week!
Here's what has kept me entertained:-
  • Make my Wish Come True - Fiona Harper. This was a hangover from my Christmas pile, it features 2 sisters her are quite estranged purely through such different lifestyles, Juliet a domestic goddess, control freak single mum and Gemma the career focused single assistant director. Juliet's plans for a perfect Christmas start to unravel until a mini meltdown ensues resulting in Gemma offering up her 2 weeks holiday vacation to the Caribbean, swapping life with her sister. With a handsome next door neighbour and a need to pull off the perfect christmas, both sisters go on a journey into each others lives. I enjoyed this book, it was an easy read, a little predictable but perfect to while away a couple hours escaping the horrible weather outside. ***
  •  Here's looking at You - Mhairi McFarlane . Anna Alessi is a history and art expert within her field. She has a job she loves, great friends and is now just looking for the ideal guy for a little romance. Things however never used to be so ideal, life at school for Anna was some of the worst years of her life and some she would rather forget.  However very soon Anna's nemesis and the high school hunk who was responsible for her final humiliation at school walks back into her life. .... he however has no idea who she is. Can Anna deal with all the demons she thought had been laid to rest and how long is it before James realises who she is.  This book is so much more than a chick lit read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, its not as predictable as you think and it has some laugh out loud moments along with some heart wrenching parts. ****
  • Heaven Scent - Sasha Wagstaff. Cat Hayes impulsively marries a penniless waiter, she, within weeks finds herself  a widow. Unbeknown to Cat she finds out that Oliver is part of a French perfume dynasty. Cat finds herself in the south of France dealing with a disconnected family headed by a formidable matriarch of a grandmother. This book takes you to a world of glamour, family saga and romance. I loved this book, escapism at its best, completely enthralled with the whole perfume making business accompanied by gorgeous french men!....perfect for a wet and cold february commute. ****    
  • The House that we grew up in - Lisa Jewell  This book details the life of the Bird family, 4 children growing up in a lovely home in the country, with 2 parents who love them.  On paper its idyllic, however one Easter tragedy strikes and suddenly the lives of the Bird family  will never be the same. This book is so many layers and slowly as you peel each one back the story develops. The story jumps between 3 time spans which takes some adjusting to however once you have I couldn't put this book down. It deals with some gritty issues and it really struck a chord with me. Not always an easy read, but an enjoyable one. ****
  • Take a Look at Me now - Miranda Dickinson. Nell Sullivan has always been known as ‘Miss Five-Year Plan’. But when she finds herself jobless and newly single on the same day, Nell decides it is time to stop planning and start taking chances. Nell blows her redundancy cheque on a life changing trip to San Francisco. Bunking down at her cousins she embarks on an exploration of both herself and San Francisco. In a vibrant colourful city she meets many characters, one of which is the dashing mysterious Max. Nell falls in love with the magic and sparkle of the city, but soon her adventure is over and she is heading back to London. Will she revert back to the 'old' Nell?  This is my favourite read of the month...... I loved Nell, there was a little bit of me in her! and I fell in love with San Francisco, through Nell's adventures.  In fact I loved it so much I have spent hours pouring over google exploring holiday options!... not this year but on wish list for next! This is my ***** book for Feb
    What have you been reading this month?

2 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

I LOVED the Lisa Jewell one - one of my favourite reads last year.

Victoria Eales said...

Heaven Scent was such a great read, I love any sorts of books like that where I can escape and imagine chauffeur driven cars when I'm stuck on the underground!!

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com

Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Wednesday Words- my february 5

Welcome to my Wednesday words.... so far this month I have read 5 books on my daily commute.
Books are an integral part of my commute and if I don't have at least 2 options available either in book form or on kindle I get a little anxious! ... silly I know, but I really cant do the commute without. Thankyou ladies for taking me to other peoples lives on my daily commute. Alas not much reading done last week due to the commute being by car to deal with the tube strikes which seemed to last for days.... but determined to make up for this week!
Here's what has kept me entertained:-
  • Make my Wish Come True - Fiona Harper. This was a hangover from my Christmas pile, it features 2 sisters her are quite estranged purely through such different lifestyles, Juliet a domestic goddess, control freak single mum and Gemma the career focused single assistant director. Juliet's plans for a perfect Christmas start to unravel until a mini meltdown ensues resulting in Gemma offering up her 2 weeks holiday vacation to the Caribbean, swapping life with her sister. With a handsome next door neighbour and a need to pull off the perfect christmas, both sisters go on a journey into each others lives. I enjoyed this book, it was an easy read, a little predictable but perfect to while away a couple hours escaping the horrible weather outside. ***
  •  Here's looking at You - Mhairi McFarlane . Anna Alessi is a history and art expert within her field. She has a job she loves, great friends and is now just looking for the ideal guy for a little romance. Things however never used to be so ideal, life at school for Anna was some of the worst years of her life and some she would rather forget.  However very soon Anna's nemesis and the high school hunk who was responsible for her final humiliation at school walks back into her life. .... he however has no idea who she is. Can Anna deal with all the demons she thought had been laid to rest and how long is it before James realises who she is.  This book is so much more than a chick lit read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, its not as predictable as you think and it has some laugh out loud moments along with some heart wrenching parts. ****
  • Heaven Scent - Sasha Wagstaff. Cat Hayes impulsively marries a penniless waiter, she, within weeks finds herself  a widow. Unbeknown to Cat she finds out that Oliver is part of a French perfume dynasty. Cat finds herself in the south of France dealing with a disconnected family headed by a formidable matriarch of a grandmother. This book takes you to a world of glamour, family saga and romance. I loved this book, escapism at its best, completely enthralled with the whole perfume making business accompanied by gorgeous french men!....perfect for a wet and cold february commute. ****    
  • The House that we grew up in - Lisa Jewell  This book details the life of the Bird family, 4 children growing up in a lovely home in the country, with 2 parents who love them.  On paper its idyllic, however one Easter tragedy strikes and suddenly the lives of the Bird family  will never be the same. This book is so many layers and slowly as you peel each one back the story develops. The story jumps between 3 time spans which takes some adjusting to however once you have I couldn't put this book down. It deals with some gritty issues and it really struck a chord with me. Not always an easy read, but an enjoyable one. ****
  • Take a Look at Me now - Miranda Dickinson. Nell Sullivan has always been known as ‘Miss Five-Year Plan’. But when she finds herself jobless and newly single on the same day, Nell decides it is time to stop planning and start taking chances. Nell blows her redundancy cheque on a life changing trip to San Francisco. Bunking down at her cousins she embarks on an exploration of both herself and San Francisco. In a vibrant colourful city she meets many characters, one of which is the dashing mysterious Max. Nell falls in love with the magic and sparkle of the city, but soon her adventure is over and she is heading back to London. Will she revert back to the 'old' Nell?  This is my favourite read of the month...... I loved Nell, there was a little bit of me in her! and I fell in love with San Francisco, through Nell's adventures.  In fact I loved it so much I have spent hours pouring over google exploring holiday options!... not this year but on wish list for next! This is my ***** book for Feb
    What have you been reading this month?

2 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

I LOVED the Lisa Jewell one - one of my favourite reads last year.

Victoria Eales said...

Heaven Scent was such a great read, I love any sorts of books like that where I can escape and imagine chauffeur driven cars when I'm stuck on the underground!!

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com