Sunday, 30 March 2014

Life's stories...

I am a firm believer in Fate and sometime it works with us and sometimes against us and it seems this weekend Fate tested my emotions. This weekend I saw the date of the loss of my beloved Gramps's fall adjacent to Mother's Day, a day equally emotional. I grew up with my grandparents and their loss although not so 'gut-wrenching' is still felt every day.
Last week I hooked up with my friend Ali for drinks and a burger as she was in London for the RNA book awards ( Ali is the author Ali Mcnamara) Ali has just started writing her 6th book and as always we end up talking plot lines and stuff.... this lead to me talking about dealing with loss. It's 5 years this weekend since Gramps passed and later this year it will be 10 years since Nan passed. Growing up with both as an instrumental part of my life their loss was hard to deal with, it took me down some very dark paths but also opened up a whole new world to me which probably wouldn't have happened.  My blog evolved from a scrapbooking online forum that I joined shortly after loosing Nan, this became a saviour and my blog became an outlet for life when the outside world was a little hard to deal with. From this I have made and met some fab online friends. One of which is Ali. It also led to me working for the Big Yellow Store on Oxford Street, I took some time out about a year after Nan died to spend more time with Gramps and get my head sorted, Mr Selfridge came knocking just at a time when I need to de-hermitise myself.  So even though this weekend has been emotional, it has also been filled some happy memories, some of which we shared  in a trip to the cemetery with my mum. I will never have the daughter/mother relationship with my mum that others, but we are finding some middle ground and if that's sitting on a bench under a blossom tree at a cemetery sharing a coffee and reminiscing then that's fine by me.
This year I received my first Mother's Day card!.... yes I got one from the Kits!.... bringing a much needed smile to my face this morning...
My Nan always said that your life is like a book, some people are in it for the whole story, some just for a paragraph and others for a chapter, however long they share your life story, be blessed. So thankyou all for sharing this book so far....


2 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Lovely post, Teresa - and lovely wisdom from your Nan at the end, too - food for thought x

Victoria Eales said...

Couldn't agree with Mrs M, a lovely post and your nan was certainly a wise woman.

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com

Sunday, 30 March 2014

Life's stories...

I am a firm believer in Fate and sometime it works with us and sometimes against us and it seems this weekend Fate tested my emotions. This weekend I saw the date of the loss of my beloved Gramps's fall adjacent to Mother's Day, a day equally emotional. I grew up with my grandparents and their loss although not so 'gut-wrenching' is still felt every day.
Last week I hooked up with my friend Ali for drinks and a burger as she was in London for the RNA book awards ( Ali is the author Ali Mcnamara) Ali has just started writing her 6th book and as always we end up talking plot lines and stuff.... this lead to me talking about dealing with loss. It's 5 years this weekend since Gramps passed and later this year it will be 10 years since Nan passed. Growing up with both as an instrumental part of my life their loss was hard to deal with, it took me down some very dark paths but also opened up a whole new world to me which probably wouldn't have happened.  My blog evolved from a scrapbooking online forum that I joined shortly after loosing Nan, this became a saviour and my blog became an outlet for life when the outside world was a little hard to deal with. From this I have made and met some fab online friends. One of which is Ali. It also led to me working for the Big Yellow Store on Oxford Street, I took some time out about a year after Nan died to spend more time with Gramps and get my head sorted, Mr Selfridge came knocking just at a time when I need to de-hermitise myself.  So even though this weekend has been emotional, it has also been filled some happy memories, some of which we shared  in a trip to the cemetery with my mum. I will never have the daughter/mother relationship with my mum that others, but we are finding some middle ground and if that's sitting on a bench under a blossom tree at a cemetery sharing a coffee and reminiscing then that's fine by me.
This year I received my first Mother's Day card!.... yes I got one from the Kits!.... bringing a much needed smile to my face this morning...
My Nan always said that your life is like a book, some people are in it for the whole story, some just for a paragraph and others for a chapter, however long they share your life story, be blessed. So thankyou all for sharing this book so far....


2 comments:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

Lovely post, Teresa - and lovely wisdom from your Nan at the end, too - food for thought x

Victoria Eales said...

Couldn't agree with Mrs M, a lovely post and your nan was certainly a wise woman.

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com