Sunday, 23 March 2014

London Heights .... The Shard

Part 2 of my morning heights adventure in London was south of the river  at the top of Europe's tallest building The Shard. I had booked a "photography" morning, a special slot being trialled at the Shard. The early morning slot enabled professional & amateur photographers to access the viewing platforms with tripod & photography equipment usually not allowed in normal viewing times.
New to the photography scene I am a very naive amateur and welcomed the hints & tips that were given from photographers around me.
This was my first visit to the Shard and would completely liken it to the "Top of the Rock" experience in New York. Viewing platforms are sited 800ft above the streets of London with 360' views across the city and beyond. The platforms are accessed via 2 super sonic high speed kaleidoscope lifts. Lift 1 takes you from pavement to level 33 in 25 seconds, Lift 2 to floor 68 in similar speeds!....
Floor 72 is accessed via stairs, and are worth the climb, the views are spectacular. I was so lucky with the weather as it had rained hard during the night but Saturday dawned bright and clear.  I was nervous of whether an attack of vertigo would kick in with the floor to ceiling glass, however the structure and space lend itself to a real feeling of security.
Watching the Thames snake its way through London, was like the imagery from a popular east London soap, with Canary Wharf in the hazy distance, along with the Thames Barrier behind and in the far distance I could just make out the QE2 bridge between Essex & Kent.
 Looking down onto the streets below was like a virtual model village, with trains running along a childhood track, complete with remote control boats along the river.
Across the river North of London, you could make the arch of Wembley stadium, BT tower, Monument and nestling amongst the skysrapers of London the Tower of London.
I had a fab time spending saturday morning above the streets of London, it allowed me to play with my camera, get loads of hints and tips and enjoy and explore this amazing new landmark without the crowds of normal sessions. Will definitely be visiting again and exploring more of what The Shard offers. Afternoon Tea and a stay at the new hotel are on my wish list!.

No comments:

Sunday, 23 March 2014

London Heights .... The Shard

Part 2 of my morning heights adventure in London was south of the river  at the top of Europe's tallest building The Shard. I had booked a "photography" morning, a special slot being trialled at the Shard. The early morning slot enabled professional & amateur photographers to access the viewing platforms with tripod & photography equipment usually not allowed in normal viewing times.
New to the photography scene I am a very naive amateur and welcomed the hints & tips that were given from photographers around me.
This was my first visit to the Shard and would completely liken it to the "Top of the Rock" experience in New York. Viewing platforms are sited 800ft above the streets of London with 360' views across the city and beyond. The platforms are accessed via 2 super sonic high speed kaleidoscope lifts. Lift 1 takes you from pavement to level 33 in 25 seconds, Lift 2 to floor 68 in similar speeds!....
Floor 72 is accessed via stairs, and are worth the climb, the views are spectacular. I was so lucky with the weather as it had rained hard during the night but Saturday dawned bright and clear.  I was nervous of whether an attack of vertigo would kick in with the floor to ceiling glass, however the structure and space lend itself to a real feeling of security.
Watching the Thames snake its way through London, was like the imagery from a popular east London soap, with Canary Wharf in the hazy distance, along with the Thames Barrier behind and in the far distance I could just make out the QE2 bridge between Essex & Kent.
 Looking down onto the streets below was like a virtual model village, with trains running along a childhood track, complete with remote control boats along the river.
Across the river North of London, you could make the arch of Wembley stadium, BT tower, Monument and nestling amongst the skysrapers of London the Tower of London.
I had a fab time spending saturday morning above the streets of London, it allowed me to play with my camera, get loads of hints and tips and enjoy and explore this amazing new landmark without the crowds of normal sessions. Will definitely be visiting again and exploring more of what The Shard offers. Afternoon Tea and a stay at the new hotel are on my wish list!.

No comments: