Monday, 3 March 2014

Menu Monday

Last month I was determined to get more organised with menu's as I had been surviving on ready meals, toast & cornflakes!... So I dusted off the slow cooker & pan and planned some menu's that I could either cook quickly or slowly!...
Two favourites which are appearing on this weeks menu are:-
  • Braised Beef & Carrots, Kale & Mash. ... this is a favourite from childhood and living with Nan & Gramps, but instead of cooking in the oven I throw everything in the slow cooker switch it on and leave it until I walk back in the door.  Basic ingredients are a a chopped onion, Stewing steak ( some recipes ask you to sweat this off before putting in the slow cooker, however that's too much faffing for me at 5.30am so I just put in the cooker) Sliced carrot either in rounds or batons, stock (I use a mixture of oxo cube & knor stock) 2 tbsp of tomato puree, pinch of paprika, salt & pepper and a good jug of water ( make sure all ingredients are covered) I then leave to cook on low all day.   Accompanied by Bartlett rooster potatoes mashed and a big bunch of Kale ( my favourite green, who would have thought it would be the "on trend" veg for 14!) perfect comfort food.  As you can see from the pictures it was a big hit with Fitz... dinner was hastily rescued from a curious kittie.. and nearly as good as my Nans. 
  • Spanish Chorizo Pasta ... this is a new recipe that evolved from a conversation at work last week and so quick when getting home late from work. Basic ingredients are: Chorizo, Sweet pepper ( i used an orange pepper) Chestnut mushrooms, Cherry tomatoes, half a red onion. All should be chopped into similar size chunks. Sweat these off in a pan, starting with chorizo and onion first, they should provide enough oil for the pepper, tomatoes & mushrooms to cook and soften. Throw a Lloyd Grossman sauce (on offer for £1 currently in sainsbury's) over the chorizo & veg, ( I used the sweet pepper sauce.) Served with Wholemeal pasta and a sprinkling of Parmesan this is delicious.
    This weeks menu will also involve Pancakes, Cod and a cacophony of Thai treats for a friends birthday at the end of the week.
    What's on your menu planning this week?
    (please note that all brand recommendations are my own and I have not received any samples or free product for this post)

No comments:

Monday, 3 March 2014

Menu Monday

Last month I was determined to get more organised with menu's as I had been surviving on ready meals, toast & cornflakes!... So I dusted off the slow cooker & pan and planned some menu's that I could either cook quickly or slowly!...
Two favourites which are appearing on this weeks menu are:-
  • Braised Beef & Carrots, Kale & Mash. ... this is a favourite from childhood and living with Nan & Gramps, but instead of cooking in the oven I throw everything in the slow cooker switch it on and leave it until I walk back in the door.  Basic ingredients are a a chopped onion, Stewing steak ( some recipes ask you to sweat this off before putting in the slow cooker, however that's too much faffing for me at 5.30am so I just put in the cooker) Sliced carrot either in rounds or batons, stock (I use a mixture of oxo cube & knor stock) 2 tbsp of tomato puree, pinch of paprika, salt & pepper and a good jug of water ( make sure all ingredients are covered) I then leave to cook on low all day.   Accompanied by Bartlett rooster potatoes mashed and a big bunch of Kale ( my favourite green, who would have thought it would be the "on trend" veg for 14!) perfect comfort food.  As you can see from the pictures it was a big hit with Fitz... dinner was hastily rescued from a curious kittie.. and nearly as good as my Nans. 
  • Spanish Chorizo Pasta ... this is a new recipe that evolved from a conversation at work last week and so quick when getting home late from work. Basic ingredients are: Chorizo, Sweet pepper ( i used an orange pepper) Chestnut mushrooms, Cherry tomatoes, half a red onion. All should be chopped into similar size chunks. Sweat these off in a pan, starting with chorizo and onion first, they should provide enough oil for the pepper, tomatoes & mushrooms to cook and soften. Throw a Lloyd Grossman sauce (on offer for £1 currently in sainsbury's) over the chorizo & veg, ( I used the sweet pepper sauce.) Served with Wholemeal pasta and a sprinkling of Parmesan this is delicious.
    This weeks menu will also involve Pancakes, Cod and a cacophony of Thai treats for a friends birthday at the end of the week.
    What's on your menu planning this week?
    (please note that all brand recommendations are my own and I have not received any samples or free product for this post)

No comments: