Monday, 19 May 2014

5 New York loves - Coffee

As I shared my New York Tea loves earlier this month, I thought I would share my coffee loves this week. Coffee is the much favoured hot drink of choice in America. 20 years ago a TV series hit the airways which would launch the coffee shop into a different stratosphere. Now it was cool to meet up with friends in a coffee shop, instead of a bar!... Yes, Friends launched 20 years ago and lived on our screens for 10 years, with some of its most memorable scenes in Central Perk itself. Although a fictional coffee shop in New York, the friends apartment block on the corner of Grove & Bedford street in Greenwich Village is still one of the most photographed movie location buildings.
 In New York itself you cannot move more than a block without seeing the iconic Starbucks sign and its coffee shops nestled among the sites of New York. There are over 50 sites in Manhattan, so you are never far from a cup of the hot brown liquid gold. However it wasn't Starbucks that gave me my New York coffee love when I visited nearly 2 decades ago, but the fabulous deli of Dean & Deluca. This store on Broadway in the heart of SOHO was everything that I imagined a NY coffee and deli venue would be. With smaller coffee shops nestled across the city, this brand now worldwide epitomises everything great about food in New York.
Coffee is so popular in NY that last year the subway map was released with a coffee stop at every subway location. This is a fun way to explore the city, although not sure how much sleep you would get if you grabbed an espresso from each stop... caffeine consumption would be astronomical!
Today I am sharing some of those stops of coffee loves from across the city;
Gasoline Alley; a cool urban coffee shop, with minimal decor other than a statement bicycle hanging above the counter in the heart of NOHO (north of Houston street) on Lafayette street. Where once the streets were filled with car mechanics and gasoline stations it is now filled with coffee shops and boutiques. Gasoline is an homage to an era gone buy, serving  Intelligentsia coffee, and Dough donuts.... 2 great brands making a name for themselves in the food news of New York.
Bluebird Coffee Shop; is a very small cute neighbourhood coffee shop in the heart of the East Village on East 1st street. With limited seating it really is a treat of a find, and the coffee served in cute blue cups is delightful.
The Bowery Coffee shop is located on the corner of East Houston and The Bowery, it has an eclectic feel. The old-world-style storefront features ice cream parlour tables and a zinc-topped counter. Along with dark & delicious coffee, Doughnut Plant fritters and Balthazar croissants are also available.
Birch Coffee has three locations across the city with its own coffee blend and iced blend available. All venues are aesthetically designed to fit its area. I recently featured this coffee shop in my Social media sunday post and I am looking forward to visiting in December. Anywhere that features books & coffee is a winner for me!.
D'espresso coffee shop in Madison avenue just around the corner of Grand Central Station. This coffee shop is the most stylishly designed and features an amazing library book installation which is just gorgeous. Another must visit for me this year...
As with all 5 loves posts, here is a map of my New York locations for you to try..... enjoy.
If my post has wetted your appetite for a coffee adventure in New York, ITunes has 2 great New York Coffee apps which you can download. One is free and the other is a nominal fee.... I really love the coffee cup map!....
 
I hope that you have enjoyed my NY loves post this week.... Here are my previous posts, pop back next week for London's equivalent coffee loves.
(please note that all views are my own and I have not received any payment for this post)

 
 

No comments:

Monday, 19 May 2014

5 New York loves - Coffee

As I shared my New York Tea loves earlier this month, I thought I would share my coffee loves this week. Coffee is the much favoured hot drink of choice in America. 20 years ago a TV series hit the airways which would launch the coffee shop into a different stratosphere. Now it was cool to meet up with friends in a coffee shop, instead of a bar!... Yes, Friends launched 20 years ago and lived on our screens for 10 years, with some of its most memorable scenes in Central Perk itself. Although a fictional coffee shop in New York, the friends apartment block on the corner of Grove & Bedford street in Greenwich Village is still one of the most photographed movie location buildings.
 In New York itself you cannot move more than a block without seeing the iconic Starbucks sign and its coffee shops nestled among the sites of New York. There are over 50 sites in Manhattan, so you are never far from a cup of the hot brown liquid gold. However it wasn't Starbucks that gave me my New York coffee love when I visited nearly 2 decades ago, but the fabulous deli of Dean & Deluca. This store on Broadway in the heart of SOHO was everything that I imagined a NY coffee and deli venue would be. With smaller coffee shops nestled across the city, this brand now worldwide epitomises everything great about food in New York.
Coffee is so popular in NY that last year the subway map was released with a coffee stop at every subway location. This is a fun way to explore the city, although not sure how much sleep you would get if you grabbed an espresso from each stop... caffeine consumption would be astronomical!
Today I am sharing some of those stops of coffee loves from across the city;
Gasoline Alley; a cool urban coffee shop, with minimal decor other than a statement bicycle hanging above the counter in the heart of NOHO (north of Houston street) on Lafayette street. Where once the streets were filled with car mechanics and gasoline stations it is now filled with coffee shops and boutiques. Gasoline is an homage to an era gone buy, serving  Intelligentsia coffee, and Dough donuts.... 2 great brands making a name for themselves in the food news of New York.
Bluebird Coffee Shop; is a very small cute neighbourhood coffee shop in the heart of the East Village on East 1st street. With limited seating it really is a treat of a find, and the coffee served in cute blue cups is delightful.
The Bowery Coffee shop is located on the corner of East Houston and The Bowery, it has an eclectic feel. The old-world-style storefront features ice cream parlour tables and a zinc-topped counter. Along with dark & delicious coffee, Doughnut Plant fritters and Balthazar croissants are also available.
Birch Coffee has three locations across the city with its own coffee blend and iced blend available. All venues are aesthetically designed to fit its area. I recently featured this coffee shop in my Social media sunday post and I am looking forward to visiting in December. Anywhere that features books & coffee is a winner for me!.
D'espresso coffee shop in Madison avenue just around the corner of Grand Central Station. This coffee shop is the most stylishly designed and features an amazing library book installation which is just gorgeous. Another must visit for me this year...
As with all 5 loves posts, here is a map of my New York locations for you to try..... enjoy.
If my post has wetted your appetite for a coffee adventure in New York, ITunes has 2 great New York Coffee apps which you can download. One is free and the other is a nominal fee.... I really love the coffee cup map!....
 
I hope that you have enjoyed my NY loves post this week.... Here are my previous posts, pop back next week for London's equivalent coffee loves.
(please note that all views are my own and I have not received any payment for this post)

 
 

No comments: