Sunday, 17 August 2014

A Sea of Red.....

This Summer through to the winter an art installation is evolving at the Tower of London. Entitled 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' it will eventually display 888,246 poppies, 1 for each British and Colonial fatality in World War 1. The ceramic poppies have been hand made and are being installed by volunteers over the weeks to Armistice day.
I visited the Tower early one morning a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by the vision already being created. It is humbling, and stunning to see.
With the backdrop of the old history of the Tower flanked by new icons such as The Gherkin and The Shard, it is a beautiful site to see.
Everyday this installation looks different and has grown significantly since I visited. I am looking forward to returning in the next couple of weeks to see how the poppy field has grown. One of my favourite Twitter/Instagram sites is the Police helicopter, their photo's and tweets over the site have been great since it started, here is one of my favourite pictures recently. Equally the view from The Shard is quite spectacular too.
Each of the poppies are for sale and can be ordered via the The Royal British Legion  for £25 and will be sent once the art installation has been dismantled after the 11th November. I've bought mine and look forward to receiving it later this year. This is my MUST see for this summer in London, I hope that they raise lots of money for such worthy causes today and allow us to remember those lives that were lost 100 years ago.


No comments:

Sunday, 17 August 2014

A Sea of Red.....

This Summer through to the winter an art installation is evolving at the Tower of London. Entitled 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' it will eventually display 888,246 poppies, 1 for each British and Colonial fatality in World War 1. The ceramic poppies have been hand made and are being installed by volunteers over the weeks to Armistice day.
I visited the Tower early one morning a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by the vision already being created. It is humbling, and stunning to see.
With the backdrop of the old history of the Tower flanked by new icons such as The Gherkin and The Shard, it is a beautiful site to see.
Everyday this installation looks different and has grown significantly since I visited. I am looking forward to returning in the next couple of weeks to see how the poppy field has grown. One of my favourite Twitter/Instagram sites is the Police helicopter, their photo's and tweets over the site have been great since it started, here is one of my favourite pictures recently. Equally the view from The Shard is quite spectacular too.
Each of the poppies are for sale and can be ordered via the The Royal British Legion  for £25 and will be sent once the art installation has been dismantled after the 11th November. I've bought mine and look forward to receiving it later this year. This is my MUST see for this summer in London, I hope that they raise lots of money for such worthy causes today and allow us to remember those lives that were lost 100 years ago.


No comments: