Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Summer in the City ~ The Tower Remembers

Bank holiday Sunday I spent the day exploring London along the river, part of my day was spent revisiting the Poppy installation Blood swept lands and seas of red at the Tower of London.  It was 4 weeks since I was last there and was amazed at the progress that has been made. The fabulous achievement by the volunteers and curators of this works. Here's my post from the end of  July when I visited previously.
The poppies have been created by ceramic artist Paul Cummins, and set design is by stage designer Tom Piper. 888,246 ceramic poppies will progressively fill the Tower's moat from the dates of WW1 commencing to Armistice day in November. Each poppy represents a British military fatality during the war.
Not only does the installation create a stunning visual display but also allows space for reflection and remembrance.
There are a number of different ways the Tower is remembering this occasion... here are more details on their website.

This installation has been one of the most tweeted, instagrammed, and talked about things in London during the summer.... it been a weekly talking point in the office. I've loved visiting the Tower during the summer, and look forward to seeing how the space evolves during the Autumn. It has been my 'MUST' visit for 2014 recommendation for the summer.
One of my favourite Instagram/Twitter sites is from the Metropolitan Police Helicopter team, @MPSinthesky / @mpsasu they have regularly tweeted pictures from the sky of the poppies in the moat... here's a collage of favourites
Pop back in at the end of September when I update with more Poppy adventures.... or let me know if you have visited, what did you think?... are you planning to go?... would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Victoria Eales said...

I think I mentioned before that my company are sponsoring this so we've all been taking shifts to go down and plant poppies. It's an amazing sight.

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com

Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Summer in the City ~ The Tower Remembers

Bank holiday Sunday I spent the day exploring London along the river, part of my day was spent revisiting the Poppy installation Blood swept lands and seas of red at the Tower of London.  It was 4 weeks since I was last there and was amazed at the progress that has been made. The fabulous achievement by the volunteers and curators of this works. Here's my post from the end of  July when I visited previously.
The poppies have been created by ceramic artist Paul Cummins, and set design is by stage designer Tom Piper. 888,246 ceramic poppies will progressively fill the Tower's moat from the dates of WW1 commencing to Armistice day in November. Each poppy represents a British military fatality during the war.
Not only does the installation create a stunning visual display but also allows space for reflection and remembrance.
There are a number of different ways the Tower is remembering this occasion... here are more details on their website.

This installation has been one of the most tweeted, instagrammed, and talked about things in London during the summer.... it been a weekly talking point in the office. I've loved visiting the Tower during the summer, and look forward to seeing how the space evolves during the Autumn. It has been my 'MUST' visit for 2014 recommendation for the summer.
One of my favourite Instagram/Twitter sites is from the Metropolitan Police Helicopter team, @MPSinthesky / @mpsasu they have regularly tweeted pictures from the sky of the poppies in the moat... here's a collage of favourites
Pop back in at the end of September when I update with more Poppy adventures.... or let me know if you have visited, what did you think?... are you planning to go?... would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Victoria Eales said...

I think I mentioned before that my company are sponsoring this so we've all been taking shifts to go down and plant poppies. It's an amazing sight.

Victoria
FlorenceandMary.com