Saturday, 11 October 2014

Books about Town - River Trail

Last week  the Books about Town benches in London were auctioned off for charity. They have been one of my favourite things to do whilst exploring London during the summer.... its been like a huge lending library across the London landscape. From the benches visited its created much discussion, lots of fun & laughter and spanned generations.... I hope that the British Literary showcased has seen an uplift in library lends and book sales.
Books have always been my way of escaping and from an early age always had my head in a book. This may be some of the reasons as to why I have loved the book about town trails across London this summer... it brings out the child in me
The only trail I didn't get to do was the one in Greenwich, however I am happy with all that I saw.... A few weekends ago with the sun shining I headed into town early and explored the Riverside trail.
City Hall
Sited around City Hall were a number of benches....
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Dr Seuss
 I loved the Dr Seuss bench with Tower Bridge in the background and the new City of London landscape to its left. Completely showcased the vibrancy of the graphics on the bench.
With a backdrop of HMS Belfast and a dancing water fountain close by the Gruffalo bench was a child's delight. As I snapped these images a couple of small children came running along the river bank full of absolute delight to find their favourite woodland creature.
A short walk away from the riverside and in the shadow of the Shard in Clarendon Place stood the beautiful War Horse bench.... Beautifully designed with the symbolic red poppies, and war horses this was a stunning piece of art depicting a heart breaking story.
Back on the Riverside and short walk from London Bridge and Borough Market stood 2 of Britain's favourites - Paddington Bear and Great Expectations. Both icons of our childhood and adult years alike.
The Great Expectations was dark and symbolic to the old masters, whereas Paddington was the perfect epitome of Michael Bond's classic.
My Book bench trail finished outside the theatre home of the world famous author / playwright Shakespeare.  The perfect place to house the bench paying homage to the Author.
I've loved the book benches across the city of the summer and look forward to Paddington appearing for the Christmas and Holiday period.
Here are my previous book bench adventures:
  • Bloomsbury Trail - featuring Hercule Poirot, James Bond, Jane Austen & Peter Pan.
  • City Trail - featuring Mary Poppins, Bridget Jones, Peter Pan, Wind in the Willows.
Last week the book benches were auctioned for charity and raised a quarter of a million £ to improve literary in disadvantaged areas. The 2 highest bids were £9,500 for the Jeeves & Wooster bench and £9,000 for the James Bond stories.

1 comment:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

They are so lovely and colourful - fab! What a lovely idea. x

Saturday, 11 October 2014

Books about Town - River Trail

Last week  the Books about Town benches in London were auctioned off for charity. They have been one of my favourite things to do whilst exploring London during the summer.... its been like a huge lending library across the London landscape. From the benches visited its created much discussion, lots of fun & laughter and spanned generations.... I hope that the British Literary showcased has seen an uplift in library lends and book sales.
Books have always been my way of escaping and from an early age always had my head in a book. This may be some of the reasons as to why I have loved the book about town trails across London this summer... it brings out the child in me
The only trail I didn't get to do was the one in Greenwich, however I am happy with all that I saw.... A few weekends ago with the sun shining I headed into town early and explored the Riverside trail.
City Hall
Sited around City Hall were a number of benches....
  • Through the Looking Glass
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Dr Seuss
 I loved the Dr Seuss bench with Tower Bridge in the background and the new City of London landscape to its left. Completely showcased the vibrancy of the graphics on the bench.
With a backdrop of HMS Belfast and a dancing water fountain close by the Gruffalo bench was a child's delight. As I snapped these images a couple of small children came running along the river bank full of absolute delight to find their favourite woodland creature.
A short walk away from the riverside and in the shadow of the Shard in Clarendon Place stood the beautiful War Horse bench.... Beautifully designed with the symbolic red poppies, and war horses this was a stunning piece of art depicting a heart breaking story.
Back on the Riverside and short walk from London Bridge and Borough Market stood 2 of Britain's favourites - Paddington Bear and Great Expectations. Both icons of our childhood and adult years alike.
The Great Expectations was dark and symbolic to the old masters, whereas Paddington was the perfect epitome of Michael Bond's classic.
My Book bench trail finished outside the theatre home of the world famous author / playwright Shakespeare.  The perfect place to house the bench paying homage to the Author.
I've loved the book benches across the city of the summer and look forward to Paddington appearing for the Christmas and Holiday period.
Here are my previous book bench adventures:
  • Bloomsbury Trail - featuring Hercule Poirot, James Bond, Jane Austen & Peter Pan.
  • City Trail - featuring Mary Poppins, Bridget Jones, Peter Pan, Wind in the Willows.
Last week the book benches were auctioned for charity and raised a quarter of a million £ to improve literary in disadvantaged areas. The 2 highest bids were £9,500 for the Jeeves & Wooster bench and £9,000 for the James Bond stories.

1 comment:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

They are so lovely and colourful - fab! What a lovely idea. x