Sunday, 2 November 2014

Poppies at the Tower....

I have shared my visits previously to the Tower of London poppy fields over the summer, and on each visit the crowds have grown considerably. Back in July when I visited at the beginning of the install, the crowds were minimal and you could walk around the tower freely and really take in the humbling impact it had in peace and quiet solitude.
When I returned in early September the crowds and the poppies had grown, increasing the visual impact of such an amazing piece of work. By my return visit in October the crowds had grown to such proportions that it made any movement around the tower reminiscent of a battling through Oxford street Christmas week.
The first of the 888,246 ceramic poppies was planted in the Tower's dry moat in July, with the final one due to be installed on Armistice Day and thousands of people have travelled from across the globe to visit the tower and see the poppies.

I am so thrilled that all the poppies have sold and I look forward to receiving mine in 2015.


Each evening at sunset a roll call of honour is read and the last post sounds.... it is without one of the most moving things I have heard. You can hear a pin drop around the tower during this 20 minutes, followed by a huge applause, I was at this point sobbing....


As Armistice day approaches I am sure the crowds will continue to expand, it is one of the most humbling visions that I have seen....

1 comment:

Victoria Eales said...

It's ridiculous I still haven't made it down to the Tower, I must do so one lunchtime.

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com

Sunday, 2 November 2014

Poppies at the Tower....

I have shared my visits previously to the Tower of London poppy fields over the summer, and on each visit the crowds have grown considerably. Back in July when I visited at the beginning of the install, the crowds were minimal and you could walk around the tower freely and really take in the humbling impact it had in peace and quiet solitude.
When I returned in early September the crowds and the poppies had grown, increasing the visual impact of such an amazing piece of work. By my return visit in October the crowds had grown to such proportions that it made any movement around the tower reminiscent of a battling through Oxford street Christmas week.
The first of the 888,246 ceramic poppies was planted in the Tower's dry moat in July, with the final one due to be installed on Armistice Day and thousands of people have travelled from across the globe to visit the tower and see the poppies.

I am so thrilled that all the poppies have sold and I look forward to receiving mine in 2015.


Each evening at sunset a roll call of honour is read and the last post sounds.... it is without one of the most moving things I have heard. You can hear a pin drop around the tower during this 20 minutes, followed by a huge applause, I was at this point sobbing....


As Armistice day approaches I am sure the crowds will continue to expand, it is one of the most humbling visions that I have seen....

1 comment:

Victoria Eales said...

It's ridiculous I still haven't made it down to the Tower, I must do so one lunchtime.

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com