Tuesday, 2 December 2014

10 years on....

And I'm back in the city that holds my heart for more than one reason...... This is where I was 10 years ago when I received the news that my Nan had died.... She was so much more to me than just a Nan... She was my confident, friend, and matriarchical grandmother in one and I loved her unconditionally.
Growing up with her was a joy, and I got 34 years of that, of which I am blessed.... We had many 'things' and one of them was whereever I travelled she was my last call before I boarded at the gate. I never expected for that call on December 1st 2004 would be the last time I heard her voice and her "I love you Polly, be safe" would be the last thing she said to me.
Within 12 hours of that call, I was in Times Square scrambling to catch a flight back to try and see her as the Dr's had given her hours to live.... Unfortunately I only managed to get to JFK & be at the boarding gate when I got the call to say it was too late.... On my own and with an 8 hour flight ahead of me, I thought my world had ended....
So with a heavy heart in amongst the glamour & excitement of this amazing city today I will light a candle in St Patricks Cathedral for the women who loved me unconditionally and shaped the woman I am today... Thankyou Nannie... I love you, miss you and think of you every day....u
10 years ago I lost a big chunk of my heart in this city, every time I return it heals a small part.❤️🗽

1 comment:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

What an absolutely lovely post, Teresa - brought tears to my eyes xx

Tuesday, 2 December 2014

10 years on....

And I'm back in the city that holds my heart for more than one reason...... This is where I was 10 years ago when I received the news that my Nan had died.... She was so much more to me than just a Nan... She was my confident, friend, and matriarchical grandmother in one and I loved her unconditionally.
Growing up with her was a joy, and I got 34 years of that, of which I am blessed.... We had many 'things' and one of them was whereever I travelled she was my last call before I boarded at the gate. I never expected for that call on December 1st 2004 would be the last time I heard her voice and her "I love you Polly, be safe" would be the last thing she said to me.
Within 12 hours of that call, I was in Times Square scrambling to catch a flight back to try and see her as the Dr's had given her hours to live.... Unfortunately I only managed to get to JFK & be at the boarding gate when I got the call to say it was too late.... On my own and with an 8 hour flight ahead of me, I thought my world had ended....
So with a heavy heart in amongst the glamour & excitement of this amazing city today I will light a candle in St Patricks Cathedral for the women who loved me unconditionally and shaped the woman I am today... Thankyou Nannie... I love you, miss you and think of you every day....u
10 years ago I lost a big chunk of my heart in this city, every time I return it heals a small part.❤️🗽

1 comment:

mrsmsmeanderings said...

What an absolutely lovely post, Teresa - brought tears to my eyes xx