Monday, 18 May 2015

Victory in Europe Day...

Today on #BEDM on headlines day and although not making the headlines today I thought I would share my day in London from the recent VE Day celebrations.
I had no plans for the Sunday of the VE day weekend, I had worked a very long week and was looking forward to some downtime at home, however on waking to a glorious day I made a completely impromptu decision to head into London and join the crowds to celebrate 70 years since Victory in Europe was declared and World War 2 came to an end.
Growing up with a Grandad who fought during the war within the tank regiment and was part of the evacuation of soldiers on the beaches of Dunkirk. I am hugely proud of him and all the veterans that came home and owe a huge debt to those that gave their life for our freedom.
I arrived into London just in time to see the forces and veterans march down Whitehall past the cenotaph to horseguards parade, and then into St James Park.

I found the whole experience incredibly humbling, very emotional and a huge sense of pride to see the huge number of people that lined the streets to support forces young and old. Standing near the cenotaph was very moving as every service personnel that marched past, whether on foot or in a wheel chair saluted the cenotaph .... an honour to see and the utmost respect  to the fallen heroes.
One of the biggest cheers to resonate along Whitehall was for the Veterans and Chelsea Pensioners.
The VE day parade was concluded with flypast including a Spitfire, followed by the red arrows with their tails of red, white & blue.
The red, white & blue was showcased to its most spectacular as I turned into the Mall which was festooned with huge union jacks and a  huge crowd of spectators. We do pageant so well in this country and even the pearly kings & queens were out in their infinite style supporting the occasion.
Heading into St James Park it became a huge garden party VE day style with military vehicles, big bands, tea dances and lots of soldiers!
With lots to see and do for old and young it was a great atmosphere, bathed in glorious sunshine. London couldn't have looked better on the day.
The spitfires were a huge draw for young and old  along with the military vehicles.
I had a fabulous afternoon wandering around the park enjoying the music, and just soaking up the great atmosphere.
Leaving the park towards Parliament square it was great to walk around with no traffic and enjoy the views.
 Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament and the glorious Winston Churchill were all showcased to their finest in against the backdrop of a blue sky and bathed in dappled sunshine.
My walk to the station took me back down Whitehall past the Cenotaph where a number of wreaths had been laid in commemoration of the day.
Situated in Horseguards avenue are a number of fitting memorials of heroes of World War 2... General Montgomery affectionately known as 'Monty', the Gurkha memorial and the stunning Tank Regiment memorial where I laid a small tribute to my Gramps.
I had a lovely day in London celebrating VE day with a sense of pride and thanks to all those that are no longer here and remembering my nan & gramps with much love.
I hope that you have enjoyed my VE day headlines ... if you have enjoyed this post then check out previous posts honouring our war heroes here.


No comments:

Monday, 18 May 2015

Victory in Europe Day...

Today on #BEDM on headlines day and although not making the headlines today I thought I would share my day in London from the recent VE Day celebrations.
I had no plans for the Sunday of the VE day weekend, I had worked a very long week and was looking forward to some downtime at home, however on waking to a glorious day I made a completely impromptu decision to head into London and join the crowds to celebrate 70 years since Victory in Europe was declared and World War 2 came to an end.
Growing up with a Grandad who fought during the war within the tank regiment and was part of the evacuation of soldiers on the beaches of Dunkirk. I am hugely proud of him and all the veterans that came home and owe a huge debt to those that gave their life for our freedom.
I arrived into London just in time to see the forces and veterans march down Whitehall past the cenotaph to horseguards parade, and then into St James Park.

I found the whole experience incredibly humbling, very emotional and a huge sense of pride to see the huge number of people that lined the streets to support forces young and old. Standing near the cenotaph was very moving as every service personnel that marched past, whether on foot or in a wheel chair saluted the cenotaph .... an honour to see and the utmost respect  to the fallen heroes.
One of the biggest cheers to resonate along Whitehall was for the Veterans and Chelsea Pensioners.
The VE day parade was concluded with flypast including a Spitfire, followed by the red arrows with their tails of red, white & blue.
The red, white & blue was showcased to its most spectacular as I turned into the Mall which was festooned with huge union jacks and a  huge crowd of spectators. We do pageant so well in this country and even the pearly kings & queens were out in their infinite style supporting the occasion.
Heading into St James Park it became a huge garden party VE day style with military vehicles, big bands, tea dances and lots of soldiers!
With lots to see and do for old and young it was a great atmosphere, bathed in glorious sunshine. London couldn't have looked better on the day.
The spitfires were a huge draw for young and old  along with the military vehicles.
I had a fabulous afternoon wandering around the park enjoying the music, and just soaking up the great atmosphere.
Leaving the park towards Parliament square it was great to walk around with no traffic and enjoy the views.
 Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Houses of Parliament and the glorious Winston Churchill were all showcased to their finest in against the backdrop of a blue sky and bathed in dappled sunshine.
My walk to the station took me back down Whitehall past the Cenotaph where a number of wreaths had been laid in commemoration of the day.
Situated in Horseguards avenue are a number of fitting memorials of heroes of World War 2... General Montgomery affectionately known as 'Monty', the Gurkha memorial and the stunning Tank Regiment memorial where I laid a small tribute to my Gramps.
I had a lovely day in London celebrating VE day with a sense of pride and thanks to all those that are no longer here and remembering my nan & gramps with much love.
I hope that you have enjoyed my VE day headlines ... if you have enjoyed this post then check out previous posts honouring our war heroes here.


No comments: