Sunday, 27 September 2015

An Autumnal walk along the River...

Last week saw the Autumn equinox begin and by far this is my favourite season.
Determined to enjoy the glorious weather that descended upon us last weekend along with spending some time at the Rugby I opted to walk to Twickenham along the river on the Thames path.
This was a first for me and had been on my "to do" list for sometime.
The day was glorious and this was reflected in the number of people taking advantage of the late summer sunshine on the banks of the river at Richmond.
Along with boats, canoes, and kayaks on the water, there were lots of rowing clubs in action for the afternoon. It was fascinating to see how local people utilise the banks of the river for their personal use for 2 legs & furry 4 legs!
 Lots of 'keep fit' activities  running and cycling and even a spot of yoga.
Half way along the trail to Twickenham I detoured slightly to visit Petersham nurseries, which along with selling the most glorious array of plants, houses within a suite of vintage greenhouse structures a cafe and teahouse. The perfect place to stop for a spot of tea and cake!
I opted for wholemeal apple cake which was amazing.
The nursery gardens were in abundant with glorious autumnal blooms, my favourite being the beds of Dhalias.
One of my favourite flowers which are making a huge revival over the past year. My Gramps would have loved these, he always had a huge bed of these at the end of the garden in amongst the rose bushes.




Leaving the glorious gardens behind I headed back out on the trail towards Twickenham.
Instead of walking down further along the trail I opted to cross the river by the small ferry boat which you call from a small deck on the river bank.
I had lots of fun walking along a part of Thames that I had not explore before.
A very lovely way to get to the Rugby and enjoy the autumnal sunshine.

There are a number of trails along this pathway and next year I am going to explore a few further.



No comments:

Sunday, 27 September 2015

An Autumnal walk along the River...

Last week saw the Autumn equinox begin and by far this is my favourite season.
Determined to enjoy the glorious weather that descended upon us last weekend along with spending some time at the Rugby I opted to walk to Twickenham along the river on the Thames path.
This was a first for me and had been on my "to do" list for sometime.
The day was glorious and this was reflected in the number of people taking advantage of the late summer sunshine on the banks of the river at Richmond.
Along with boats, canoes, and kayaks on the water, there were lots of rowing clubs in action for the afternoon. It was fascinating to see how local people utilise the banks of the river for their personal use for 2 legs & furry 4 legs!
 Lots of 'keep fit' activities  running and cycling and even a spot of yoga.
Half way along the trail to Twickenham I detoured slightly to visit Petersham nurseries, which along with selling the most glorious array of plants, houses within a suite of vintage greenhouse structures a cafe and teahouse. The perfect place to stop for a spot of tea and cake!
I opted for wholemeal apple cake which was amazing.
The nursery gardens were in abundant with glorious autumnal blooms, my favourite being the beds of Dhalias.
One of my favourite flowers which are making a huge revival over the past year. My Gramps would have loved these, he always had a huge bed of these at the end of the garden in amongst the rose bushes.




Leaving the glorious gardens behind I headed back out on the trail towards Twickenham.
Instead of walking down further along the trail I opted to cross the river by the small ferry boat which you call from a small deck on the river bank.
I had lots of fun walking along a part of Thames that I had not explore before.
A very lovely way to get to the Rugby and enjoy the autumnal sunshine.

There are a number of trails along this pathway and next year I am going to explore a few further.



No comments: