Sunday, 18 October 2015

6 sweet coffee stops in the City.....

With 6 weeks to go until my trip across the pond, my New York planning has kicked up a gear and my wish lists and things to do are being compiled on Pinterest, and within my notebook. Looking back on last years adventure and photographs I thought I would share some of my favourites over the coming 6 weeks.
Today whilst curled up on the sofa with a large cup of Joe, I'm sharing some coffee favourites from last year. Travelling to New York over the last 20 years, coffee stops have evolved from the corner cart to the big coffee chains and more recently the independent coffee houses.
Coffee is the staple for all New Yorkers and "to go" is the most preferred option. Here are some of the places that I enjoyed on my travels.
Tavern on the Green - this iconic restaurant that nestles amongst the tress in the meadow of Central Park is a film as well as a NY icon.  After undergoing a huge renovation T on the Green opened its doors again last year and along with a glorious menu, now hosts an On the Go menu from 7am. A daily stop on my early morning walk in the park.
Magnolia Bakery - world famous for it's cupcakes the bakery boutique within Bloomingdales is the perfect stop for a sweet treat and a cup of Peets coffee whilst you rest your feet from the shopping.
Toby's Coffee - originating from Brooklyn in 2012 where's Toby's is roasted and brewed; the 3rd NY coffee-house opened in the West Village in November 2014
Situated on the corner of Charles Street & 7th Avenue it is the epitomy of what you imagine a New York coffee shop should be, complete with a comfy sofa; the perfect place to stop for a coffee on route to work or when strolling leisurely through the village.
Breads Bakery - situated on east 16th street a short walk from union square, this artisan bakery serves and bakes its own bread onsite. The range is extensive and each loaf a work of art. With a "bread of the day" menu; the bakery is busy fro the moment the open sign is turned until the loaves sells out, from baguettes, ryes and challahs, all look amazing. With a small cafe at the rear of the bakery; its a great early coffee stop, when the bakery is awash with freshly baked bread aromas.
Baked - is a very cool bakery which originated in Brooklyn and last year it opened its doors in Tribeca in Manhattan. It was on my must list last year and I wasn't disappointed. On a damp cold drizzly December afternoon it was the perfect place to warm up and enjoy a fabulous coffee along with the best eggnog cheesecake I have ever tasted... the most perfect way to while away an hour on a cold afternoon. Definitely on a return list for this year.....
Finally Gasoline Alley which is a small coffee stop, tucked on Lafayette street just north of Houston street. It is a stripped down urban coffee stop, which houses some of the best coffee I tasted in New York. Loved the cool vibe of the place and the great coffee served.

Looking forward to visiting some of these again when I return in a few weeks... what other recommendations do you have for a quick coffee stop?

No comments:

Sunday, 18 October 2015

6 sweet coffee stops in the City.....

With 6 weeks to go until my trip across the pond, my New York planning has kicked up a gear and my wish lists and things to do are being compiled on Pinterest, and within my notebook. Looking back on last years adventure and photographs I thought I would share some of my favourites over the coming 6 weeks.
Today whilst curled up on the sofa with a large cup of Joe, I'm sharing some coffee favourites from last year. Travelling to New York over the last 20 years, coffee stops have evolved from the corner cart to the big coffee chains and more recently the independent coffee houses.
Coffee is the staple for all New Yorkers and "to go" is the most preferred option. Here are some of the places that I enjoyed on my travels.
Tavern on the Green - this iconic restaurant that nestles amongst the tress in the meadow of Central Park is a film as well as a NY icon.  After undergoing a huge renovation T on the Green opened its doors again last year and along with a glorious menu, now hosts an On the Go menu from 7am. A daily stop on my early morning walk in the park.
Magnolia Bakery - world famous for it's cupcakes the bakery boutique within Bloomingdales is the perfect stop for a sweet treat and a cup of Peets coffee whilst you rest your feet from the shopping.
Toby's Coffee - originating from Brooklyn in 2012 where's Toby's is roasted and brewed; the 3rd NY coffee-house opened in the West Village in November 2014
Situated on the corner of Charles Street & 7th Avenue it is the epitomy of what you imagine a New York coffee shop should be, complete with a comfy sofa; the perfect place to stop for a coffee on route to work or when strolling leisurely through the village.
Breads Bakery - situated on east 16th street a short walk from union square, this artisan bakery serves and bakes its own bread onsite. The range is extensive and each loaf a work of art. With a "bread of the day" menu; the bakery is busy fro the moment the open sign is turned until the loaves sells out, from baguettes, ryes and challahs, all look amazing. With a small cafe at the rear of the bakery; its a great early coffee stop, when the bakery is awash with freshly baked bread aromas.
Baked - is a very cool bakery which originated in Brooklyn and last year it opened its doors in Tribeca in Manhattan. It was on my must list last year and I wasn't disappointed. On a damp cold drizzly December afternoon it was the perfect place to warm up and enjoy a fabulous coffee along with the best eggnog cheesecake I have ever tasted... the most perfect way to while away an hour on a cold afternoon. Definitely on a return list for this year.....
Finally Gasoline Alley which is a small coffee stop, tucked on Lafayette street just north of Houston street. It is a stripped down urban coffee stop, which houses some of the best coffee I tasted in New York. Loved the cool vibe of the place and the great coffee served.

Looking forward to visiting some of these again when I return in a few weeks... what other recommendations do you have for a quick coffee stop?

No comments: