Thursday, 5 November 2015

A thrilling night with the Queen of Crime Fiction...

Firework Night took on a whole new thrill this year, when I spent the evening in the company of the Queen of Crime Fiction ~ Patricia Cornwell. Patricia was in the UK to promote her 23rd Scarpetta novel and celebrate 25 years of the Kay Scarpetta phenomenon.
The evening was hosted by Good Housekeeping magazine in the most apt and suitable venue of 1 Wimpole Street - The Royal Society of Medicine.
Having attended a previous event many years ago to see Patricia Cornwell, I knew that she would draw a large crowd and I wasn't surprised to see so many people there. With wine flowing and the opportunity to purchase a signed book, many people were soon chatting about the venue and author.
The actual event took place in the Guy Whittle Auditorium where 2 chairs were positioned on a stage against the backdrop of a screen which showed a great introduction film narrated by Patricia herself before she arrived on stage. She was joined  with Good Morning Britain presenter Kate Garraway who was the host interviewer for the evening.
I was suitably impressed with Kate's questioning  style, something I don't think is showcased particularly well on TV and she came across much more informed and knowledgeable.
Here's 5 things that I learned from the evening:
1. She's an action heroine: "Someone wise said: always do things that make you feel a little insecure because it causes you to grow. Whether it's flying a helicopter, riding a motorcycle, writing a script... I absolutely like to conquer fear. I recommend it to people.'


2.Even after 23 books, writing doesn’t get any easier: ‘There’s pressure with every book. It never gets easier. For any writers I would say, we’re all the same. I don’t care how many books you’ve written and how well you’ve done, writing is just as hard to do. I have days where I have writer’s block like everyone else. I have days where I don’t want to go to my desk, like everyone else. It’s a hard thing to do. I just try to focus and not get caught up in the pressure.’  
3. When will we see a Scarpetta movie?; A movie has been in commission since the early books and as yet a script has not been agreed as no-one even myself can create this character for film.... Who would you like to see play Kay - there are so many strong women out there, would like to see Jessica Chastain play Kay Scarpetta on the big screen!
4. Best Book read recently? : Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins.
5. Advice to all: Don't forget you have this powerful tool; your imagination. She said that her imagination is what saved her childhood; Her hard childhood made her a writer
‘My imagination was what saved me when I was a little kid. I say to people, don’t forget you have this unbelievably powerful tool: your imagination. It can take you places without you leaving the room, you can create characters to keep you company. I learnt to do that as a kid because my world was lonely and desolate.’ 
I thoroughly enjoyed my evening and was thrilled that my tweets were both picked up by both the author herself and GH. Looking at PC's social media feed she had a great time travelling across the country before she headed back to New York where she is writing book 24 in the Scarpetta series and just finished editing her follow-up Jack the Ripper investigation.
I have been a huge fan with PC's from book 1 Post-mortem, which sits in my top 10 books and something I have read many times. For someone who had aspirations to be a forensic pathologist in my school years, this author ticks so many of my boxes and is without a doubt Queen of the crime novel of my generation.
Thankyou Patricia Cornwell and God Housekeeping for hosting such a cool event.





1 comment:

Leanne Fraser said...

OK so I never thought I'd be a fan of crime fiction but then Cormoran Strike came along and I LOVE it, d'you think I'd like this series too? x

Thursday, 5 November 2015

A thrilling night with the Queen of Crime Fiction...

Firework Night took on a whole new thrill this year, when I spent the evening in the company of the Queen of Crime Fiction ~ Patricia Cornwell. Patricia was in the UK to promote her 23rd Scarpetta novel and celebrate 25 years of the Kay Scarpetta phenomenon.
The evening was hosted by Good Housekeeping magazine in the most apt and suitable venue of 1 Wimpole Street - The Royal Society of Medicine.
Having attended a previous event many years ago to see Patricia Cornwell, I knew that she would draw a large crowd and I wasn't surprised to see so many people there. With wine flowing and the opportunity to purchase a signed book, many people were soon chatting about the venue and author.
The actual event took place in the Guy Whittle Auditorium where 2 chairs were positioned on a stage against the backdrop of a screen which showed a great introduction film narrated by Patricia herself before she arrived on stage. She was joined  with Good Morning Britain presenter Kate Garraway who was the host interviewer for the evening.
I was suitably impressed with Kate's questioning  style, something I don't think is showcased particularly well on TV and she came across much more informed and knowledgeable.
Here's 5 things that I learned from the evening:
1. She's an action heroine: "Someone wise said: always do things that make you feel a little insecure because it causes you to grow. Whether it's flying a helicopter, riding a motorcycle, writing a script... I absolutely like to conquer fear. I recommend it to people.'


2.Even after 23 books, writing doesn’t get any easier: ‘There’s pressure with every book. It never gets easier. For any writers I would say, we’re all the same. I don’t care how many books you’ve written and how well you’ve done, writing is just as hard to do. I have days where I have writer’s block like everyone else. I have days where I don’t want to go to my desk, like everyone else. It’s a hard thing to do. I just try to focus and not get caught up in the pressure.’  
3. When will we see a Scarpetta movie?; A movie has been in commission since the early books and as yet a script has not been agreed as no-one even myself can create this character for film.... Who would you like to see play Kay - there are so many strong women out there, would like to see Jessica Chastain play Kay Scarpetta on the big screen!
4. Best Book read recently? : Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins.
5. Advice to all: Don't forget you have this powerful tool; your imagination. She said that her imagination is what saved her childhood; Her hard childhood made her a writer
‘My imagination was what saved me when I was a little kid. I say to people, don’t forget you have this unbelievably powerful tool: your imagination. It can take you places without you leaving the room, you can create characters to keep you company. I learnt to do that as a kid because my world was lonely and desolate.’ 
I thoroughly enjoyed my evening and was thrilled that my tweets were both picked up by both the author herself and GH. Looking at PC's social media feed she had a great time travelling across the country before she headed back to New York where she is writing book 24 in the Scarpetta series and just finished editing her follow-up Jack the Ripper investigation.
I have been a huge fan with PC's from book 1 Post-mortem, which sits in my top 10 books and something I have read many times. For someone who had aspirations to be a forensic pathologist in my school years, this author ticks so many of my boxes and is without a doubt Queen of the crime novel of my generation.
Thankyou Patricia Cornwell and God Housekeeping for hosting such a cool event.





1 comment:

Leanne Fraser said...

OK so I never thought I'd be a fan of crime fiction but then Cormoran Strike came along and I LOVE it, d'you think I'd like this series too? x