Monday, 22 February 2016

Let the NY adventure begin.....

It's no secret that new York holds my heart and with visits now in double figures + I get asked often am I not bored of it?...... so in reply to that question the honest answer is No! I do honestly believe that at the point that I'm tired of New York I really would be tired of life!
I am over the coming few weeks share my Christmas adventure in the city that doesn't sleep.
My trip in 2015 was really planned on a bit of a budget and I struck lucky with a flight and hotel in December for £500. This was a huge bargain and I didn't have huge expectations of anything but was really impressed with hotel & location. With any trip to the states I have learnt to maximise my time there by the flight times, flying outbound I book the earliest flight out of Heathrow and I opt for a late/night flight back (arriving first thing the following day) This takes advantage of the time differences and helps me manage the jet lag!
 So my adventure started with Taylor and I taking a trip in the early morning, zipping through London to Heathrow. As it was the 1st of December it was the perfect time for some Christmas songs and to enjoy some of the festive sights in the city.
With Taylor dropped off at parking it was time to check-in to Terminal 3 for my flight across the Atlantic, the terminal was festooned in pink with a funky christmas tree.  I off loaded my bag and passed through security quickly, browsed duty free before grabbing a quick breakfast before boarding.
Sitting near the window I captured take-off and the ascent into the clouds, which saw a gloomy damp December morning get brighter the higher we rose into a beautiful cloud filled blue sky, it was like we were flying on puffy clouds of cotton wool. With an uneventful flight across the pond the gloom soon re-appeared as we descended into JFK across Long Island and The Hamptons.
 Having a 'live' esta visa allowed me to fly through immigration and I had collected baggage, cleared customs and was on the Air train within 35 minutes of the plane landing (any of you that travel stateside frequently will know that this is a fantastic time, especially New York in December) Last year was my first Air train adventure and I am now a convert!
This year I had booked to stay down in the Meatpacking District and my hotel was a short walk from the subway, which was ideal for my travels. Although I had explored this area, this was a first for me staying there and was a little apprehensive, however I had nothing to fear as I loved the location and would definitely stay there again.
I stayed at The Jane Hotel on Jane Street and my first impression was it was a cross between Disney's Terror Towers and a hotel from the Grand Budapest Hotel, complete  with bus-boys with  gold trim hats! The hotel was a hive of activity on arrival as they were filming "John Wick 2" with Keanu Reeves in the lounge and  lobby. (this wasn’t my only celebrity spot of the week!) It seemed that my hotel lounge was an 'on-trend' space to hangout. The hotel has an amazing history; Completed in 1908, the American Seaman's Friend Society Sailors' Home and Institute was designed by William A. Boring, the architect renowned for Ellis Island’s immigrant station. 
Originally built as a hotel for sailors with cabin-like rooms, the landmarked hotel was lovingly restored on its centennial in 2008. In 1912, the survivors of the Titanic stayed at the hotel until the end of the American Inquiry into the ship’s sinking.  The surviving crew held a memorial service at the hotel four days after the ship sank. 
The rooms are tiny – very reminiscent of old ships cabins / train sleeper carriages, however they maximise the space with mirrors, good storage and lighting. The room was clean, good quality bed linen and complimentary robe, slippers for the bathroom facilities. If you can deal with shared bathroom (I never queued once for shower / bathroom facilities in the 5 days I was there) and tiny room, this hotel is amazing value for money. Fabulous location, great staff and a very cool eclectic hotel. I rarely stay in the same hotel twice when travelling to New York, but I would definitely come back to The Jane.
Having dumped my bags it was time to explore the neighbourhood!.... pop back later in the week when I share some more of my New York adventures.

No comments:

Monday, 22 February 2016

Let the NY adventure begin.....

It's no secret that new York holds my heart and with visits now in double figures + I get asked often am I not bored of it?...... so in reply to that question the honest answer is No! I do honestly believe that at the point that I'm tired of New York I really would be tired of life!
I am over the coming few weeks share my Christmas adventure in the city that doesn't sleep.
My trip in 2015 was really planned on a bit of a budget and I struck lucky with a flight and hotel in December for £500. This was a huge bargain and I didn't have huge expectations of anything but was really impressed with hotel & location. With any trip to the states I have learnt to maximise my time there by the flight times, flying outbound I book the earliest flight out of Heathrow and I opt for a late/night flight back (arriving first thing the following day) This takes advantage of the time differences and helps me manage the jet lag!
 So my adventure started with Taylor and I taking a trip in the early morning, zipping through London to Heathrow. As it was the 1st of December it was the perfect time for some Christmas songs and to enjoy some of the festive sights in the city.
With Taylor dropped off at parking it was time to check-in to Terminal 3 for my flight across the Atlantic, the terminal was festooned in pink with a funky christmas tree.  I off loaded my bag and passed through security quickly, browsed duty free before grabbing a quick breakfast before boarding.
Sitting near the window I captured take-off and the ascent into the clouds, which saw a gloomy damp December morning get brighter the higher we rose into a beautiful cloud filled blue sky, it was like we were flying on puffy clouds of cotton wool. With an uneventful flight across the pond the gloom soon re-appeared as we descended into JFK across Long Island and The Hamptons.
 Having a 'live' esta visa allowed me to fly through immigration and I had collected baggage, cleared customs and was on the Air train within 35 minutes of the plane landing (any of you that travel stateside frequently will know that this is a fantastic time, especially New York in December) Last year was my first Air train adventure and I am now a convert!
This year I had booked to stay down in the Meatpacking District and my hotel was a short walk from the subway, which was ideal for my travels. Although I had explored this area, this was a first for me staying there and was a little apprehensive, however I had nothing to fear as I loved the location and would definitely stay there again.
I stayed at The Jane Hotel on Jane Street and my first impression was it was a cross between Disney's Terror Towers and a hotel from the Grand Budapest Hotel, complete  with bus-boys with  gold trim hats! The hotel was a hive of activity on arrival as they were filming "John Wick 2" with Keanu Reeves in the lounge and  lobby. (this wasn’t my only celebrity spot of the week!) It seemed that my hotel lounge was an 'on-trend' space to hangout. The hotel has an amazing history; Completed in 1908, the American Seaman's Friend Society Sailors' Home and Institute was designed by William A. Boring, the architect renowned for Ellis Island’s immigrant station. 
Originally built as a hotel for sailors with cabin-like rooms, the landmarked hotel was lovingly restored on its centennial in 2008. In 1912, the survivors of the Titanic stayed at the hotel until the end of the American Inquiry into the ship’s sinking.  The surviving crew held a memorial service at the hotel four days after the ship sank. 
The rooms are tiny – very reminiscent of old ships cabins / train sleeper carriages, however they maximise the space with mirrors, good storage and lighting. The room was clean, good quality bed linen and complimentary robe, slippers for the bathroom facilities. If you can deal with shared bathroom (I never queued once for shower / bathroom facilities in the 5 days I was there) and tiny room, this hotel is amazing value for money. Fabulous location, great staff and a very cool eclectic hotel. I rarely stay in the same hotel twice when travelling to New York, but I would definitely come back to The Jane.
Having dumped my bags it was time to explore the neighbourhood!.... pop back later in the week when I share some more of my New York adventures.

No comments: