Sunday, 13 March 2016

Across the Hudson.....

Earlier this month I started to share my New York adventures from December, here I shared my first experience of staying within the meatpacking district. This area has seen a huge regeneration over the last 15 years and Sex and the City fans will remember it from being the location that Samantha lived. Bordering Greenwich Village is really is quite a fabulous location to be and I will be seeking stays there in future trips.
The area is predominately residential and with cobble lines streets and glorious brownstones, it’s a cool place to just wander and capture the experience of village life within New York. My hotel on the corner of Jane Street and offered views across the Hudson river to New Jersey / Hoboken an area which I had never visited.
When researching and planning for the trip (yes I still plan lots even though I have visited too many times now to count!) a must for me is a trip to Target. Target is a huge supermarket/store similarour Tesco and full of fabulous things. In previous years I have travelled up into East Harlem to do my Target shopping, however this wouldn’t be a straightforward in the location that I was staying. I did find that there was a Target located in the Newport/Hoboken area, practically opposite my hotel (separated only by the Hudson river).
Further research led to me finding that the PATH trainline was a short walk from my hotel which would transport me under the river to the state of Jersey. The Patch train was accessible from Christopher Street 
The station entrance is in its own free-standing building, with a restored marquee displaying the original "Hudson Tunnels" name adorning the entrance way. Passengers descend a narrow stairway with a number of curves before arriving at the southwest end of the narrow center island platform.Biff Elrod's mural "Ascent-Descent" (showing images of users of the PATH trains, ascending or descending the stairs) originally painted on site in August 1986 as a temporary installation for the Public Art Fund, and later purchased by PATH/Port Authority of NY&NJ, was restored in 1999 just before the incidents of 9/11.
I loved this station , with its beautiful murals, a real old glamour of new york, Hard to believe that this little station was used by more than 7,400 people per day post 9/11 as this was the furthest south path train to the world trade centre that still commuted passengers from the Jersey districts. 
Hoboken station is as equally picturesque, and I really did feel like I had fallen into a movie or a bygone era of New York. The station has been used for film shoots, including  Funny Girl and Julia & Julia.The large main waiting room, with its floral and Greek Revival motifs in tiled stained glass by Louis Comfort Tiffany,is generally considered one of the finest in the U.S. aesthetically. The terminal exterior extends to over four stories and has a distinguished copper-clad façade with ornate detailing. The terminal, houses trains and ferry's and even though the day was overcast and drizzly it still was a beautiful building to explore.
On a clear day the views onto Manhattan are glorious, alas on the morning I was there the views were shrouded with mist. As this was the beginning of my visit, I hoped to return just to enjoy the view. Along the river adjacent to the station sits a simple memorial to 9/11 as a large number of Hoboken / Newport  residents lost their life on that day.
After a walk along the river side, I crossed into the residential park space and walked a short walk to a very big Target.
Here I stocked up on lots of holiday candy, home treats and paper goodies. With Star Wars imminent for release there was lots of stockfiller finds go in the trolley. Alas I couldn't take the baileys milkshakes home, but I did try one there which was amazing. Favourite finds were Gingerbrread Santa twix, candy cane oreos, crispy M&M's, Almond, Plain & milk chocolate mini snickers.
Later in the week on my last morning I managed to pop back across the water, and snap some images of the New York skyline against a backdrop of a beautiful blue sky. Hoboken is definitely somewhere that I would like to explore more, and will be adding it to my To Do list for future visits.




1 comment:

Rosemary Nardone said...

Great post I need to explore the Meatpacking a bit more myself Always new things to see and do in NYC !

Sunday, 13 March 2016

Across the Hudson.....

Earlier this month I started to share my New York adventures from December, here I shared my first experience of staying within the meatpacking district. This area has seen a huge regeneration over the last 15 years and Sex and the City fans will remember it from being the location that Samantha lived. Bordering Greenwich Village is really is quite a fabulous location to be and I will be seeking stays there in future trips.
The area is predominately residential and with cobble lines streets and glorious brownstones, it’s a cool place to just wander and capture the experience of village life within New York. My hotel on the corner of Jane Street and offered views across the Hudson river to New Jersey / Hoboken an area which I had never visited.
When researching and planning for the trip (yes I still plan lots even though I have visited too many times now to count!) a must for me is a trip to Target. Target is a huge supermarket/store similarour Tesco and full of fabulous things. In previous years I have travelled up into East Harlem to do my Target shopping, however this wouldn’t be a straightforward in the location that I was staying. I did find that there was a Target located in the Newport/Hoboken area, practically opposite my hotel (separated only by the Hudson river).
Further research led to me finding that the PATH trainline was a short walk from my hotel which would transport me under the river to the state of Jersey. The Patch train was accessible from Christopher Street 
The station entrance is in its own free-standing building, with a restored marquee displaying the original "Hudson Tunnels" name adorning the entrance way. Passengers descend a narrow stairway with a number of curves before arriving at the southwest end of the narrow center island platform.Biff Elrod's mural "Ascent-Descent" (showing images of users of the PATH trains, ascending or descending the stairs) originally painted on site in August 1986 as a temporary installation for the Public Art Fund, and later purchased by PATH/Port Authority of NY&NJ, was restored in 1999 just before the incidents of 9/11.
I loved this station , with its beautiful murals, a real old glamour of new york, Hard to believe that this little station was used by more than 7,400 people per day post 9/11 as this was the furthest south path train to the world trade centre that still commuted passengers from the Jersey districts. 
Hoboken station is as equally picturesque, and I really did feel like I had fallen into a movie or a bygone era of New York. The station has been used for film shoots, including  Funny Girl and Julia & Julia.The large main waiting room, with its floral and Greek Revival motifs in tiled stained glass by Louis Comfort Tiffany,is generally considered one of the finest in the U.S. aesthetically. The terminal exterior extends to over four stories and has a distinguished copper-clad façade with ornate detailing. The terminal, houses trains and ferry's and even though the day was overcast and drizzly it still was a beautiful building to explore.
On a clear day the views onto Manhattan are glorious, alas on the morning I was there the views were shrouded with mist. As this was the beginning of my visit, I hoped to return just to enjoy the view. Along the river adjacent to the station sits a simple memorial to 9/11 as a large number of Hoboken / Newport  residents lost their life on that day.
After a walk along the river side, I crossed into the residential park space and walked a short walk to a very big Target.
Here I stocked up on lots of holiday candy, home treats and paper goodies. With Star Wars imminent for release there was lots of stockfiller finds go in the trolley. Alas I couldn't take the baileys milkshakes home, but I did try one there which was amazing. Favourite finds were Gingerbrread Santa twix, candy cane oreos, crispy M&M's, Almond, Plain & milk chocolate mini snickers.
Later in the week on my last morning I managed to pop back across the water, and snap some images of the New York skyline against a backdrop of a beautiful blue sky. Hoboken is definitely somewhere that I would like to explore more, and will be adding it to my To Do list for future visits.




1 comment:

Rosemary Nardone said...

Great post I need to explore the Meatpacking a bit more myself Always new things to see and do in NYC !