Friday, 12 July 2013

An evening of books & glamour!

Apologies for delay in blogging but my social calendar has been a little busy.....filled with books, burgers & Buble!!.. (More of that to come!).. Last week I popped along to the Conde Naste college of fashion & design for Glamour magazines first Book club event.
The venue was stylish, lots of white & chrome. One room was laid out with seats ready for the Book panel which consisted of Jo Elvin (glamour editor), Natasha Poliszczuk ( assistant editor ) and two authors Adele Parks and Jessica Ruston. Jessica was a new author to me,but Adele I have read and followed since her first book launch 10 years ago. (Adele was also nearly responsible for me to nearly step off the platform at Liverpool st station a couple of years ago!.. Details here !)
The other room was filled with canapés & champagne and allowed avid book fans to mingle and meet book bloggers and readers.
The event opened with introductions and the authors talking of their new books.
Jessica Rustons latest novel The Lies You Told Me is a psychological study of the secrets we keep and the lies we tell people we love.. She said that she liked to write about dark characters, that writing a book can be emotionally draining.
Adele Parks new book The State We're In even has its on # on twitter #keepthesecret as Adele admits that she knew how she wanted to book to end before she wrote it and wants everyone who reads not to give away the ending. I have this book in my to read pile and I'm saving it until i can devour it in one sitting, as I know already I won't be able to put it down. She said that "if you read my book for no other reason, read it because the hero Dean is hot!"... and if Hollywood comes knocking then she would like Ryan Gosling to play Dean .. With Channing Tatum a close runner-up!...she admitted that she becomes quite difficult to live with when writing and both authors admitted that they didn't believe in writers block. Along with talking about their current books, Jess & Adele talked about their  influences, Adeles being Tolstoy & Helen Fielding and Jess's as the old school blockbusters!.. scruples, riders... etc.
Also up for discussion was the term chick-lit, and that as a women author you automatically got labelled this regardless of the genre or book medium, when women's contemporary fiction was the broader title. Both authors talked of the pros & cons of this and was an interesting discussion.
The evening was fun, articulate and not as intimidating as I first thought.. I am probably a little older than Glamours target readership but thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be booking again for their next event... Especially if the goodie bags are as good as the first!!
,

No comments:

Friday, 12 July 2013

An evening of books & glamour!

Apologies for delay in blogging but my social calendar has been a little busy.....filled with books, burgers & Buble!!.. (More of that to come!).. Last week I popped along to the Conde Naste college of fashion & design for Glamour magazines first Book club event.
The venue was stylish, lots of white & chrome. One room was laid out with seats ready for the Book panel which consisted of Jo Elvin (glamour editor), Natasha Poliszczuk ( assistant editor ) and two authors Adele Parks and Jessica Ruston. Jessica was a new author to me,but Adele I have read and followed since her first book launch 10 years ago. (Adele was also nearly responsible for me to nearly step off the platform at Liverpool st station a couple of years ago!.. Details here !)
The other room was filled with canapés & champagne and allowed avid book fans to mingle and meet book bloggers and readers.
The event opened with introductions and the authors talking of their new books.
Jessica Rustons latest novel The Lies You Told Me is a psychological study of the secrets we keep and the lies we tell people we love.. She said that she liked to write about dark characters, that writing a book can be emotionally draining.
Adele Parks new book The State We're In even has its on # on twitter #keepthesecret as Adele admits that she knew how she wanted to book to end before she wrote it and wants everyone who reads not to give away the ending. I have this book in my to read pile and I'm saving it until i can devour it in one sitting, as I know already I won't be able to put it down. She said that "if you read my book for no other reason, read it because the hero Dean is hot!"... and if Hollywood comes knocking then she would like Ryan Gosling to play Dean .. With Channing Tatum a close runner-up!...she admitted that she becomes quite difficult to live with when writing and both authors admitted that they didn't believe in writers block. Along with talking about their current books, Jess & Adele talked about their  influences, Adeles being Tolstoy & Helen Fielding and Jess's as the old school blockbusters!.. scruples, riders... etc.
Also up for discussion was the term chick-lit, and that as a women author you automatically got labelled this regardless of the genre or book medium, when women's contemporary fiction was the broader title. Both authors talked of the pros & cons of this and was an interesting discussion.
The evening was fun, articulate and not as intimidating as I first thought.. I am probably a little older than Glamours target readership but thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be booking again for their next event... Especially if the goodie bags are as good as the first!!
,

No comments: