Sunday, 23 June 2013

Pride & Prejudice in the Park.

Friday night, equipped  with a large fleecy blanket, waterproof jacket and a picnic I headed to Regents Park for an evening at the Open Air Theatre This months jaunt was to see my favourite book Pride & Prejudice. Celebrating its 200th birthday what better way than to stage it in its most simplistic form in the open air.
From the opening line "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" the audience heaved a huge sigh and sat back with their blankets to fall in love with Mr Darcy all over again.
Staged in a very simplistic way, with a filligree ironwork Georgian facade, Grand Piano and a revolving circular stage, the play manages to encapsulate the drama and longing that the TV and film adaptions did so well. ( alas no Colin Firth in wet shirt & breeches or Matthew  Mcfayden striding over the heath in his long coat!)

Jennifer Kirby who plays Elizabeth is delightful, especially as this is her first role from drama college. David Oakes plays the dashing Mr Darcy... and as he uttered those immortal words " in vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you" you could hear a pin drop in the audience (apart from the birds tweeting & the police sirens!) with all the ladies enthralled!
Jane Asher plays the vile Lady Catherine de Bourgh oozing hauteur from every pore. Mr & Mrs Bennett played by Timothy Walker & Rebecca Lacey give great performances in heir respective roles. My only criticism was of Mr Collins which was less creepy and more comedic that what I imagined and therefore didn't quite work for me.
Overall I loved this play, simple, elegant and beautifully staged....Perfect for a summer evening in the park..especially when you are 200 years old!
Apart from one heavy downpour in the afternoon I was blessed with a lovely evening, perfect for a picnic and admiring the rose garden on route to the theatre.

This theatre is becoming one of my favourite 'summer' treats and I have been blessed with seeing two of my favourite books this year.
The setting is delightful, becoming more enchanted as the night falls.


1 comment:

Archies Mum said...

What a lovely way to spend an evening.

Sunday, 23 June 2013

Pride & Prejudice in the Park.

Friday night, equipped  with a large fleecy blanket, waterproof jacket and a picnic I headed to Regents Park for an evening at the Open Air Theatre This months jaunt was to see my favourite book Pride & Prejudice. Celebrating its 200th birthday what better way than to stage it in its most simplistic form in the open air.
From the opening line "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" the audience heaved a huge sigh and sat back with their blankets to fall in love with Mr Darcy all over again.
Staged in a very simplistic way, with a filligree ironwork Georgian facade, Grand Piano and a revolving circular stage, the play manages to encapsulate the drama and longing that the TV and film adaptions did so well. ( alas no Colin Firth in wet shirt & breeches or Matthew  Mcfayden striding over the heath in his long coat!)

Jennifer Kirby who plays Elizabeth is delightful, especially as this is her first role from drama college. David Oakes plays the dashing Mr Darcy... and as he uttered those immortal words " in vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed, you must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you" you could hear a pin drop in the audience (apart from the birds tweeting & the police sirens!) with all the ladies enthralled!
Jane Asher plays the vile Lady Catherine de Bourgh oozing hauteur from every pore. Mr & Mrs Bennett played by Timothy Walker & Rebecca Lacey give great performances in heir respective roles. My only criticism was of Mr Collins which was less creepy and more comedic that what I imagined and therefore didn't quite work for me.
Overall I loved this play, simple, elegant and beautifully staged....Perfect for a summer evening in the park..especially when you are 200 years old!
Apart from one heavy downpour in the afternoon I was blessed with a lovely evening, perfect for a picnic and admiring the rose garden on route to the theatre.

This theatre is becoming one of my favourite 'summer' treats and I have been blessed with seeing two of my favourite books this year.
The setting is delightful, becoming more enchanted as the night falls.


1 comment:

Archies Mum said...

What a lovely way to spend an evening.