Saturday, 1 June 2013

Reading & Watching ... Part 2

Yesterday I shared with you what had been keeping me entertained on the TV as well as a few programmes grabbing my attention, here's what's kept me entertained on my kindle on my commute through May.
  • The Wish List  - Jane Costello - Emma is rapidly approaching 30 when she discovers a list written at the age of 15 of things to do before she hit the old age! of 30.. Realising that she hasn't really accomplished much she embarks on an adventure to fulfil her wish list before her big birthday arrives... This is a fun romp from start to finish, Emma is 2013's answer to Bridget Jones... I had real laugh out loud moments throughout this....along with some really poignant moments too... A great adventure.
  • Pedigree Mum  - Fiona Gibson - having been a huge fan of Fiona Gibson's previous books I had high hopes with this, and although an enjoyable read I didn't "love" it. A couple of the characters I couldn't warm to, although I completely fell in love with Buddy the dog, who's antics kept me entertained. Kerry the main character was lovely, equally I'm  not sure I would be so accepting of her husbands shenanigans... Even though I didn't live this book it was an enjoyable read, easy, fun read for holidays and escapism.
  • Sowing Secrets  - Trish Ashley - this has been in my to read pile for a while and I picked it out to read on the run up to visiting the Chelsea Flower show... I'm so glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it... Fran married to the 'perfect' man lives an idyllic life in the village, sharing her life with her dottie mum, friends, and beloved daughter... However all is not as rosie as it seems... Daughter embarks on adventure to find her father, mum decides to sell the family foley and a glamorous hunky TV gardener appears on the scene who completely mixes up the flower bed!..Frans life suddenly becomes a little muddled... Loved this book... I am now actively seeking a gardener as gorgeous as Gabriel! 

  • Wish you were here  - Victoria Connelly - Alice leads a life with very little excitement, she loves her father who resides in a care home, works in an office and worries... Stella however her younger, vibrant, sister leads a shallow, selfish life. Blackmailed into accompanying Stella on holiday, Alice embarks on an adventure on the small Greek island of Kethos. Here she meets Milo a yummy Greek gardener , with a wish at the statue of Aphrodite, all sorts of fun begins!.... Having lived in Greece in my 20's living my own 'Shirley Valentine' experience, this book bought back so many lovely memories of smells, foods, sun and fun!... This book is perfect for a summer read, .. A roller coaster of emotions, you will love Milo, loath Stella and completely champion Alice throughout this book.
  • The Perfect Retreat  - Kate Forster - having completely loved The Perfect Location, I couldn't sit to read Kate's next book and I so wasn't disappointed. Willow is the Oscar winning yummy mummy of the London and LA scene, married to a rock star she leads a lovely lifestyle. Kitty is her nanny/right hand girl, completely overlooked and quite often much put upon. Willows life free falls dramatically when her husband leaves her high and dry and saddled with debt. Kitty comes to the rescue and uses her family pile in the West Country to hide the family and escape the prying lenses of the paparazzi... Here Willow learns what's important meets Merrit (Kittys brother)  and films the movie which may change her life. Kitty's life equally becomes an adventure.... I loved this book, it covers so many issues, and has many layers .. It's will keep you enraptured... Full of sex, scandal & intrigue, a real modern day classic.
  • A Cottage by the Sea  - Carole Matthews  - Carole should have shares in the welsh tourist board cottage lets!... I've googled many since reading this book, with a cottage retreat now on my wish list. Ella recovering from loosing her mum, invites her lifelong friends Grace and Flick to spend  a week with her by the sea in her family holiday cottage. Grace accompanied by husband Harry and Flick with her man of the week Noah arrive and a week of, love, friendship, betrayal and loyalty ensnares. This book is more than a chicklit, it covers so many topics and I defy anyone reading this book not to fall a little in love with Noah... Loved it!.. Having 2 lifelong friends I could easily envisage us spending a week in a cottage like this,.. With one proviso that I end up with Noah!;
As you can see May's reads had a garden / retreat theme, which was completely unplanned and it appears that Junes reads are beginning to have a food theme!.. So pop back next month to see what I've been reading & watching in June!... Enjoy x




1 comment:

Clair Matthews said...

Great book reviews!!..The wish list sounds fun, I may just have to download that one. xxx

Saturday, 1 June 2013

Reading & Watching ... Part 2

Yesterday I shared with you what had been keeping me entertained on the TV as well as a few programmes grabbing my attention, here's what's kept me entertained on my kindle on my commute through May.
  • The Wish List  - Jane Costello - Emma is rapidly approaching 30 when she discovers a list written at the age of 15 of things to do before she hit the old age! of 30.. Realising that she hasn't really accomplished much she embarks on an adventure to fulfil her wish list before her big birthday arrives... This is a fun romp from start to finish, Emma is 2013's answer to Bridget Jones... I had real laugh out loud moments throughout this....along with some really poignant moments too... A great adventure.
  • Pedigree Mum  - Fiona Gibson - having been a huge fan of Fiona Gibson's previous books I had high hopes with this, and although an enjoyable read I didn't "love" it. A couple of the characters I couldn't warm to, although I completely fell in love with Buddy the dog, who's antics kept me entertained. Kerry the main character was lovely, equally I'm  not sure I would be so accepting of her husbands shenanigans... Even though I didn't live this book it was an enjoyable read, easy, fun read for holidays and escapism.
  • Sowing Secrets  - Trish Ashley - this has been in my to read pile for a while and I picked it out to read on the run up to visiting the Chelsea Flower show... I'm so glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it... Fran married to the 'perfect' man lives an idyllic life in the village, sharing her life with her dottie mum, friends, and beloved daughter... However all is not as rosie as it seems... Daughter embarks on adventure to find her father, mum decides to sell the family foley and a glamorous hunky TV gardener appears on the scene who completely mixes up the flower bed!..Frans life suddenly becomes a little muddled... Loved this book... I am now actively seeking a gardener as gorgeous as Gabriel! 

  • Wish you were here  - Victoria Connelly - Alice leads a life with very little excitement, she loves her father who resides in a care home, works in an office and worries... Stella however her younger, vibrant, sister leads a shallow, selfish life. Blackmailed into accompanying Stella on holiday, Alice embarks on an adventure on the small Greek island of Kethos. Here she meets Milo a yummy Greek gardener , with a wish at the statue of Aphrodite, all sorts of fun begins!.... Having lived in Greece in my 20's living my own 'Shirley Valentine' experience, this book bought back so many lovely memories of smells, foods, sun and fun!... This book is perfect for a summer read, .. A roller coaster of emotions, you will love Milo, loath Stella and completely champion Alice throughout this book.
  • The Perfect Retreat  - Kate Forster - having completely loved The Perfect Location, I couldn't sit to read Kate's next book and I so wasn't disappointed. Willow is the Oscar winning yummy mummy of the London and LA scene, married to a rock star she leads a lovely lifestyle. Kitty is her nanny/right hand girl, completely overlooked and quite often much put upon. Willows life free falls dramatically when her husband leaves her high and dry and saddled with debt. Kitty comes to the rescue and uses her family pile in the West Country to hide the family and escape the prying lenses of the paparazzi... Here Willow learns what's important meets Merrit (Kittys brother)  and films the movie which may change her life. Kitty's life equally becomes an adventure.... I loved this book, it covers so many issues, and has many layers .. It's will keep you enraptured... Full of sex, scandal & intrigue, a real modern day classic.
  • A Cottage by the Sea  - Carole Matthews  - Carole should have shares in the welsh tourist board cottage lets!... I've googled many since reading this book, with a cottage retreat now on my wish list. Ella recovering from loosing her mum, invites her lifelong friends Grace and Flick to spend  a week with her by the sea in her family holiday cottage. Grace accompanied by husband Harry and Flick with her man of the week Noah arrive and a week of, love, friendship, betrayal and loyalty ensnares. This book is more than a chicklit, it covers so many topics and I defy anyone reading this book not to fall a little in love with Noah... Loved it!.. Having 2 lifelong friends I could easily envisage us spending a week in a cottage like this,.. With one proviso that I end up with Noah!;
As you can see May's reads had a garden / retreat theme, which was completely unplanned and it appears that Junes reads are beginning to have a food theme!.. So pop back next month to see what I've been reading & watching in June!... Enjoy x




1 comment:

Clair Matthews said...

Great book reviews!!..The wish list sounds fun, I may just have to download that one. xxx