Sunday, 17 April 2016

DC for the Day.... Amtrak adventures

Time to share some more of my New York adventures from late last year, the rate that I am going I will still be blogging about it Christmas 2016 instead of Christmas 2015!.. when I started planning my trip last year I wanted to do things that I hadn't done before as well as some old favourites.
One of the things that I started to research was the option of travelling to Washington for the day and exploring some of the capital city. I visited Washington 18 years ago and looked forward to a return visit (especially with my current Scandal obsession!) I knew that I would have to plan my day well, but was confident to see some of the capitals landmarks.
After the idea took root, it was quite easy to plan the rest; the Amtrak train line from Penn Station was the route to take and I booked a return journey for $65. As an early riser I booked a 6am train arriving in DC at 9.30am.
Penn station was a short taxi ride from my hotel and like all mainline stations was still a hive of activity even at that early hour. I stopped at Zaro's; one of New York's famous bakeries for coffee, and breakfast muffin for the journey.
With multiple stops on route the train was busy, but with a reserved seat, and leg room and seats bigger than flying I was pleasantly surprised on the amenities on offer on the train; including complimentary wifi (which didn't dip for the entire journey) and power.
Leaving New York whilst still dark, one of the treats of the journey was tracking the images shot out of the window and watching the sunrise as we approached Philadelphia.
The sunrise was stunning. I loved watching the towns and cities begin to wake up as we sped along the tracks.


I arrived in DC at 9.30 into a stunning classical station, built in 1907 it is a beautiful building filled with arches and light.
The day was glorious and with beautiful blue skies as a backdrop to some of the worlds most iconic buildings; I set off to explore this political famous city.
Pop back tomorrow for more adventures.... featuring lincoln, landmarks, cupcakes and presidents!


1 comment:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I can't wait to hear more as you walk in Ms Popes shoes!

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com

Sunday, 17 April 2016

DC for the Day.... Amtrak adventures

Time to share some more of my New York adventures from late last year, the rate that I am going I will still be blogging about it Christmas 2016 instead of Christmas 2015!.. when I started planning my trip last year I wanted to do things that I hadn't done before as well as some old favourites.
One of the things that I started to research was the option of travelling to Washington for the day and exploring some of the capital city. I visited Washington 18 years ago and looked forward to a return visit (especially with my current Scandal obsession!) I knew that I would have to plan my day well, but was confident to see some of the capitals landmarks.
After the idea took root, it was quite easy to plan the rest; the Amtrak train line from Penn Station was the route to take and I booked a return journey for $65. As an early riser I booked a 6am train arriving in DC at 9.30am.
Penn station was a short taxi ride from my hotel and like all mainline stations was still a hive of activity even at that early hour. I stopped at Zaro's; one of New York's famous bakeries for coffee, and breakfast muffin for the journey.
With multiple stops on route the train was busy, but with a reserved seat, and leg room and seats bigger than flying I was pleasantly surprised on the amenities on offer on the train; including complimentary wifi (which didn't dip for the entire journey) and power.
Leaving New York whilst still dark, one of the treats of the journey was tracking the images shot out of the window and watching the sunrise as we approached Philadelphia.
The sunrise was stunning. I loved watching the towns and cities begin to wake up as we sped along the tracks.


I arrived in DC at 9.30 into a stunning classical station, built in 1907 it is a beautiful building filled with arches and light.
The day was glorious and with beautiful blue skies as a backdrop to some of the worlds most iconic buildings; I set off to explore this political famous city.
Pop back tomorrow for more adventures.... featuring lincoln, landmarks, cupcakes and presidents!


1 comment:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I can't wait to hear more as you walk in Ms Popes shoes!

Victoria x
FlorenceandMary.com