Saturday, 13 February 2010

Memory Windows

As I am currently spending most of my life at work at the moment. (alarm rings at 4am, bus to station at 4.55am at desk 6am!..... earliest time home this week 8.15pm)............ I thought I would share with you what I walk past each morning, which I have named my Memory Windows....
They heavily evoke nostalgic,childhood innocence, ~ think makeshift playroom tents comprised of hodgepodge quilts, an English country kitchen brimming with jars of old-fashioned sweets and copper kettles and a garden shed stocked with chopped firewood and kegs of orchard apples, my absolute Ideal! the latest display revels in life’s simple pleasures and the humble, comforting feeling of your own home.
Large-scale slogans are interspersed amongst the stores wide-ranging merchandise, all offering heartening words. Think of it as an alternative manifesto for life. The cheerful window messages are full of ‘tips’ on how to create little moments of pure happiness and appreciate the small things in life. I defy anyone not to walk past and it not take them back to their childhood!.... now where are the penny sweets!

click on Picture for more detail... if they inspire you, please leave a comment and let me know!

here are a few of my favourite blocks....



Baking, Buttons & Blankets.... and a very cute Radio!

3 comments:

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Oh Kitchen Aid mixer come hither to me!!!
Lovely windows are they in the big yellow S department store by any chance??
Luv Sophie xxx

Kelly said...

Try to give yourself time to chill! V and I are coming on tuesday so we will text and fully expect to take you for a coffee or summat!

YorkshireKaren said...

Love those windows, but the Kitchen Aid mixer just made me feel guilty - I have a gorgeous dark red one that was a 40th Birthday present to me (from me!!)
Unfortunately I am dreading my big 50 this year, and it never gets used anymore. I keep meaning to sell it but it just looks SO lovely!! Maybe that window was telling me to use it, eat cake, get fat and grow old dis-gracefully?!

Saturday, 13 February 2010

Memory Windows

As I am currently spending most of my life at work at the moment. (alarm rings at 4am, bus to station at 4.55am at desk 6am!..... earliest time home this week 8.15pm)............ I thought I would share with you what I walk past each morning, which I have named my Memory Windows....
They heavily evoke nostalgic,childhood innocence, ~ think makeshift playroom tents comprised of hodgepodge quilts, an English country kitchen brimming with jars of old-fashioned sweets and copper kettles and a garden shed stocked with chopped firewood and kegs of orchard apples, my absolute Ideal! the latest display revels in life’s simple pleasures and the humble, comforting feeling of your own home.
Large-scale slogans are interspersed amongst the stores wide-ranging merchandise, all offering heartening words. Think of it as an alternative manifesto for life. The cheerful window messages are full of ‘tips’ on how to create little moments of pure happiness and appreciate the small things in life. I defy anyone not to walk past and it not take them back to their childhood!.... now where are the penny sweets!

click on Picture for more detail... if they inspire you, please leave a comment and let me know!

here are a few of my favourite blocks....



Baking, Buttons & Blankets.... and a very cute Radio!

3 comments:

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Oh Kitchen Aid mixer come hither to me!!!
Lovely windows are they in the big yellow S department store by any chance??
Luv Sophie xxx

Kelly said...

Try to give yourself time to chill! V and I are coming on tuesday so we will text and fully expect to take you for a coffee or summat!

YorkshireKaren said...

Love those windows, but the Kitchen Aid mixer just made me feel guilty - I have a gorgeous dark red one that was a 40th Birthday present to me (from me!!)
Unfortunately I am dreading my big 50 this year, and it never gets used anymore. I keep meaning to sell it but it just looks SO lovely!! Maybe that window was telling me to use it, eat cake, get fat and grow old dis-gracefully?!