Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Much ado about Nothing...

not the most well known of Shakespeare's books, but much fun when bought into the 80's with David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

Thursday I managed to get my hands on a ticket for the sell out critically acclaimed "Much ado about Nothing" at the Wyndham Theatre at Leicester Square. Having brief memories of it from school I read a brief synopsis before I went so that I didn't appear too ignorant!... I needn't have worried, the play was fantastic. Set in the early 80's in Gibralter, it romps through the courtship of Hero & Claudio, who collectively and with their friends conspire to get Heros's cousin Beatrice and Claudios friend Benedick together. his isn't an easy feet as they spend most of their time together sparring and are confirmed singletons!..

What ensures is at times a hilarious slapstick comedy; where eavesdropping really doesn't fair well for the two ... both scenes could have easily been taken from a Frank Spencer sketch!... so many fantastic references to the 80's from ra-ra skirts, rubiks cubes, and a Princess Diana wedding dress it was a delight. From David Tennants entrance on a union jack festooned golf buggy complete with car horn, he completely owns the stage and is magnificent, Catherine Tate compliments his Benedick perfectly as Beatrice ( although I was waiting for her to break into "am i bovvered" at any moment, especially when she's a very hungover bolshy Beatrice!)... This isn't for the faint hearted, and high brow literary readers probably wont get this version of this play and be better off at the Globe! but I loved it as did most of the audience, with a standing ovation for all at the end.
If Shakespeare had been this much fun at school I might have paid more attention!
The theatre was beautiful, one of the nicest I've been in and even better when David & Catherine signed programmes outside the stage door at the end.
Tickets for this are sacred... but the theatre does release 20 tickets each day for £10 for the first in the Q, if you get to see it before it ends you are in for a treat..

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

That must have been a brilliant play to watch. What a duo, David & Catherine. If I'd have watched the play I'd have been expecting Catherine Tate to shout Doctor at David.

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

Sounds brilliant. I often wish I lived closer to London when I read your posts - you're always doing such interesting things x

Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Much ado about Nothing...

not the most well known of Shakespeare's books, but much fun when bought into the 80's with David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

Thursday I managed to get my hands on a ticket for the sell out critically acclaimed "Much ado about Nothing" at the Wyndham Theatre at Leicester Square. Having brief memories of it from school I read a brief synopsis before I went so that I didn't appear too ignorant!... I needn't have worried, the play was fantastic. Set in the early 80's in Gibralter, it romps through the courtship of Hero & Claudio, who collectively and with their friends conspire to get Heros's cousin Beatrice and Claudios friend Benedick together. his isn't an easy feet as they spend most of their time together sparring and are confirmed singletons!..

What ensures is at times a hilarious slapstick comedy; where eavesdropping really doesn't fair well for the two ... both scenes could have easily been taken from a Frank Spencer sketch!... so many fantastic references to the 80's from ra-ra skirts, rubiks cubes, and a Princess Diana wedding dress it was a delight. From David Tennants entrance on a union jack festooned golf buggy complete with car horn, he completely owns the stage and is magnificent, Catherine Tate compliments his Benedick perfectly as Beatrice ( although I was waiting for her to break into "am i bovvered" at any moment, especially when she's a very hungover bolshy Beatrice!)... This isn't for the faint hearted, and high brow literary readers probably wont get this version of this play and be better off at the Globe! but I loved it as did most of the audience, with a standing ovation for all at the end.
If Shakespeare had been this much fun at school I might have paid more attention!
The theatre was beautiful, one of the nicest I've been in and even better when David & Catherine signed programmes outside the stage door at the end.
Tickets for this are sacred... but the theatre does release 20 tickets each day for £10 for the first in the Q, if you get to see it before it ends you are in for a treat..

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

That must have been a brilliant play to watch. What a duo, David & Catherine. If I'd have watched the play I'd have been expecting Catherine Tate to shout Doctor at David.

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

Sounds brilliant. I often wish I lived closer to London when I read your posts - you're always doing such interesting things x