Monday, 8 March 2010

can it really be 20 years since....

one of the best chick flicks graced our screens. i am of course talking about Pretty Woman . I was 19 when this film debuted and was completely sucked into the romance of the modern spin on the Cinderella story!... where shall i start.... LA, fashion to die for, a gorgeous man in a tux, it gave us all hope that Prince Charming would arrive in a limo and sweep us off our feet!
Who can forget the red dress to the opera, I still covert the brown & cream ensemble as worn to the polo!.....(Fav bits!) I can say that one of the best holidays I have ever had followed this film to LA, where we did (best pal & I) drive down Rodeo Drive in a stretch limo, complete with 2 guys who stood out of the sun roof arms stretched complete with umbrellas and red roses!...( I hasten to say that they were gay!)..great fun was had by all!
This is one of my all time fav films and was happy to see the joining of romcom director Garry Marshall, the lovely hotel manager Barney (Hector Elizondo) and the beautiful Vivian (Julia Roberts) join together to bring us Valentines day, which can i saw is one of the best chick flicks that I have seen in a very long time. Not only is it wall to wall eye candy, (Eric Dane jogging along the beach is quite literally breathtaking!!) but it has a stella cast, a great story and for a cynical unromantic like myself it gives you hope!
It also has a couple of subtle homages back to Pretty Woman which are just great!....check out when Julia Roberts is at the airport and she is offered a driver and a car to "take her where ever she wants to go" and if you miss the final scene in the credits you will be making a Big Mistake... Huge!
(i promise that my moonlighting stint on film 2010 has now ended and normal service will soon resume!)

5 comments:

Kissed by an Angel said...

I still LOVE Pretty Woman!! I love all of it, but I especially love the bit when Julia Roberts goes into the shop on Rodeo Drive after she had shopped, where the women had been horrible to her the day before!! Great!! Oh and the bit....
xxxx

Florence and Mary said...

Pretty Woman is THE BEST film!! I love the soundtrack too.

Victoria xx

Archies Mum said...

I absolutely loved Pretty Woman, and nearly wore out my tape of the music off the film. I even bought myself a pair of shoes that looked a bit like Julie Roberts shoes when she wore that gorgeous brown dress. Unfortunately they were very uncomfy and just made my feet look huge. Oh well such as life lol x

ra said...

Oh so many great memories from that film. I love it when you know a film so well you can quote chunks. My favourite line? In the lift all dressed up 'If I forget to tell you later I had a great time tonight.'
Thank you for reminding me of a film from my youth - I too was 19 then...

Kelly said...

Ah Pretty Woman!! What a great film! I remember having it to watch on my 13th birhtday sleepover!

Monday, 8 March 2010

can it really be 20 years since....

one of the best chick flicks graced our screens. i am of course talking about Pretty Woman . I was 19 when this film debuted and was completely sucked into the romance of the modern spin on the Cinderella story!... where shall i start.... LA, fashion to die for, a gorgeous man in a tux, it gave us all hope that Prince Charming would arrive in a limo and sweep us off our feet!
Who can forget the red dress to the opera, I still covert the brown & cream ensemble as worn to the polo!.....(Fav bits!) I can say that one of the best holidays I have ever had followed this film to LA, where we did (best pal & I) drive down Rodeo Drive in a stretch limo, complete with 2 guys who stood out of the sun roof arms stretched complete with umbrellas and red roses!...( I hasten to say that they were gay!)..great fun was had by all!
This is one of my all time fav films and was happy to see the joining of romcom director Garry Marshall, the lovely hotel manager Barney (Hector Elizondo) and the beautiful Vivian (Julia Roberts) join together to bring us Valentines day, which can i saw is one of the best chick flicks that I have seen in a very long time. Not only is it wall to wall eye candy, (Eric Dane jogging along the beach is quite literally breathtaking!!) but it has a stella cast, a great story and for a cynical unromantic like myself it gives you hope!
It also has a couple of subtle homages back to Pretty Woman which are just great!....check out when Julia Roberts is at the airport and she is offered a driver and a car to "take her where ever she wants to go" and if you miss the final scene in the credits you will be making a Big Mistake... Huge!
(i promise that my moonlighting stint on film 2010 has now ended and normal service will soon resume!)

5 comments:

Kissed by an Angel said...

I still LOVE Pretty Woman!! I love all of it, but I especially love the bit when Julia Roberts goes into the shop on Rodeo Drive after she had shopped, where the women had been horrible to her the day before!! Great!! Oh and the bit....
xxxx

Florence and Mary said...

Pretty Woman is THE BEST film!! I love the soundtrack too.

Victoria xx

Archies Mum said...

I absolutely loved Pretty Woman, and nearly wore out my tape of the music off the film. I even bought myself a pair of shoes that looked a bit like Julie Roberts shoes when she wore that gorgeous brown dress. Unfortunately they were very uncomfy and just made my feet look huge. Oh well such as life lol x

ra said...

Oh so many great memories from that film. I love it when you know a film so well you can quote chunks. My favourite line? In the lift all dressed up 'If I forget to tell you later I had a great time tonight.'
Thank you for reminding me of a film from my youth - I too was 19 then...

Kelly said...

Ah Pretty Woman!! What a great film! I remember having it to watch on my 13th birhtday sleepover!