Thursday, 4 March 2010

Life & Inspiration.....

a cryptic title, but I have managed to get away from my desk twice in the last 10 days and have a life!.... one to the the fabulous Private Lives and second to see the inspirational Invictus! (hence the title!)
Last night I was fortunate to be given a press ticket to go and see the Opening night of Private Lives by the genius of Noel Coward, now playing at the Vaudeville Theatre in the Strand. The play stars the gorgeous Kim Cattrall and Matthew Macfayden, Kim obviously famous as the fantastic Samantha in Sex & the City and Matthew from his role as Tom Quinn in Spooks and more recently as the dashing Mr Darcy opposite Keira in Pride & Prejudice. I didn't need any other reason to go and see this play with those two starring! I had purposely steered myself away from reading any previews of this play, but of the interviews that I've seen of Kim had really liked the person that she was. This play does not disappoint and for something that was written in the 30's it is still fresh and very up to date. The cast of 5 are great, but Kim steals the show, you completely forget that she is Samantha! A great night out.....

My 2nd night away from my desk was to see Invictus, not sure what I was expecting from this film, but was completely blown away. One of the most inspirational films that I have seen, and although as a rugby fan you know the ending it still keeps you completely transfixed to the screen. Matt Damon is very convincing as Francois Pienaar, but Morgan Freeman is outstanding as Nelson Mandela, a role he was born to play. Even if you aren't a rugby fan, you must see this film.(click to view trailer)... Why Invictus?... the poem by William Ernest Henley is what inspired Nelson Mandela to keep going when he was incarcerated at Robben Island:
Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years Finds,
and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
William Ernest Henley

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds like two must sees! I knew I wanted to see Invictus so now I'll make the boy take me for sure! Isn't he Lucky!!!

Thursday, 4 March 2010

Life & Inspiration.....

a cryptic title, but I have managed to get away from my desk twice in the last 10 days and have a life!.... one to the the fabulous Private Lives and second to see the inspirational Invictus! (hence the title!)
Last night I was fortunate to be given a press ticket to go and see the Opening night of Private Lives by the genius of Noel Coward, now playing at the Vaudeville Theatre in the Strand. The play stars the gorgeous Kim Cattrall and Matthew Macfayden, Kim obviously famous as the fantastic Samantha in Sex & the City and Matthew from his role as Tom Quinn in Spooks and more recently as the dashing Mr Darcy opposite Keira in Pride & Prejudice. I didn't need any other reason to go and see this play with those two starring! I had purposely steered myself away from reading any previews of this play, but of the interviews that I've seen of Kim had really liked the person that she was. This play does not disappoint and for something that was written in the 30's it is still fresh and very up to date. The cast of 5 are great, but Kim steals the show, you completely forget that she is Samantha! A great night out.....

My 2nd night away from my desk was to see Invictus, not sure what I was expecting from this film, but was completely blown away. One of the most inspirational films that I have seen, and although as a rugby fan you know the ending it still keeps you completely transfixed to the screen. Matt Damon is very convincing as Francois Pienaar, but Morgan Freeman is outstanding as Nelson Mandela, a role he was born to play. Even if you aren't a rugby fan, you must see this film.(click to view trailer)... Why Invictus?... the poem by William Ernest Henley is what inspired Nelson Mandela to keep going when he was incarcerated at Robben Island:
Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years Finds,
and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
William Ernest Henley

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds like two must sees! I knew I wanted to see Invictus so now I'll make the boy take me for sure! Isn't he Lucky!!!