Saturday, 3 September 2011

Summer reads ~ chapter 2

Mmmm where shall I start... the reading list has been considerable over the past few weeks, so onto chapter 2 of my summer reads:
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ~ Claudia Carroll,  Annie & Dan are high school sweethearts, married young and are now firmly in a rut in the Irish countryside... with Dan working long hours as the local vet, Annie struggling with in laws & village life, she gets the opportunity to head to the bright lights of New York and star on Broadway... can a gap year make the heart grow fonder? they say absence does!...time will tell. Any book that transports me to New York has a head start above the rest!... loved it, made me want to jump on a plane!
  • Breakfast in Bed ~ Eleanor Moran .. if you are a foodie this is one for you!... Amber finds herself in a new job in a prestigious restaurant cooking for a chef that makes Gordan Ramsey look like a pussy cat! Oscar.. struggling to come to terms with her divorce, should she fall for the arrogant Oscar?.. and deal with a teenage daughter & ex-wife & is she over the ex husband?.. a cracking read with some fabulous food recipes thrown in...  devoured in one sitting!
  • Bad Sisters ~ Rebecca Chance... a romp of a read.. 3 estranged sisters with a deadly secret, Devon (celebrity cook - Nigellaesque) Deeley (Hollywood wag) and Maxie (politician's wife) - all have a lot to loose if the secret gets out... sibling rivalry, glamour and a rugby hottie as a husband.. what more could you ask for!.. the bonkbuster is back!... the new Jackie Collins!
  • One Day ~ David Nicholls now have to confess this has sat in my pile to read for sometime, it has been picked up many times.. but after seeing the trailer for the film I was determined to read before I saw the film... I'm so glad that I did... not the best tube read as i did sob at one point... the story of Dex & Emma over 2 decades on the 15th July.... it takes you through every emotion, from happy, to despair, you will love them both, Dex is wrong on so many levels but he will slowly melt your heart... before the making of the film I would have likened this to "The way we were"... never quite sure how the story is going to unfold... fabulous book.
  • The Summer Season ~ Julia Williams  revolving around  the lives of 3 friends in the village of Heartsease, dealing with loss, & break-ups they embark on a little guerrilla gardening and then the restoration of the local memorial garden.. can they restore their broken hearts... a heartfelt read, with some lovely historical references.... it soon has you wanting to plant from the heart!
  • Who's afraid of Mr Wolfe?... Ellie a fabulous copywriter in an Ad agency, isny so fabulous in her life, boyfriend, attitude and dress sense could all need a little work!... along comes the gorgeous Jack ( new boss and bares a passing resemblense to Heathcliff!) decides to smarten Eliie up... under much duress, Ellie embarks on the adventure, with a dotty aunt to look after and 'knicker' pitch to deliver.. it will have you laughing out loud and sniffing into a tissue at the same time.. a girl after my own heart.. complete with a brief adventure in NY!
off now to compile my reading list for September and my Italian adventure.....

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

I really wish I could read as fast as you. So far this year I've only read 12 books (so disappointing when I see how many you have devoured). A few more you've listed that I may just have to purchase. Have you read The Lovely Bones. I've recently read this book and couldn't get over how sad a book it was.

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

Wow, you've been a busy reader recently, Teresa! I just cant' quite bring myself to read on a Kindle at the moment - but I'm sure the time will come ...

Saturday, 3 September 2011

Summer reads ~ chapter 2

Mmmm where shall I start... the reading list has been considerable over the past few weeks, so onto chapter 2 of my summer reads:
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow ~ Claudia Carroll,  Annie & Dan are high school sweethearts, married young and are now firmly in a rut in the Irish countryside... with Dan working long hours as the local vet, Annie struggling with in laws & village life, she gets the opportunity to head to the bright lights of New York and star on Broadway... can a gap year make the heart grow fonder? they say absence does!...time will tell. Any book that transports me to New York has a head start above the rest!... loved it, made me want to jump on a plane!
  • Breakfast in Bed ~ Eleanor Moran .. if you are a foodie this is one for you!... Amber finds herself in a new job in a prestigious restaurant cooking for a chef that makes Gordan Ramsey look like a pussy cat! Oscar.. struggling to come to terms with her divorce, should she fall for the arrogant Oscar?.. and deal with a teenage daughter & ex-wife & is she over the ex husband?.. a cracking read with some fabulous food recipes thrown in...  devoured in one sitting!
  • Bad Sisters ~ Rebecca Chance... a romp of a read.. 3 estranged sisters with a deadly secret, Devon (celebrity cook - Nigellaesque) Deeley (Hollywood wag) and Maxie (politician's wife) - all have a lot to loose if the secret gets out... sibling rivalry, glamour and a rugby hottie as a husband.. what more could you ask for!.. the bonkbuster is back!... the new Jackie Collins!
  • One Day ~ David Nicholls now have to confess this has sat in my pile to read for sometime, it has been picked up many times.. but after seeing the trailer for the film I was determined to read before I saw the film... I'm so glad that I did... not the best tube read as i did sob at one point... the story of Dex & Emma over 2 decades on the 15th July.... it takes you through every emotion, from happy, to despair, you will love them both, Dex is wrong on so many levels but he will slowly melt your heart... before the making of the film I would have likened this to "The way we were"... never quite sure how the story is going to unfold... fabulous book.
  • The Summer Season ~ Julia Williams  revolving around  the lives of 3 friends in the village of Heartsease, dealing with loss, & break-ups they embark on a little guerrilla gardening and then the restoration of the local memorial garden.. can they restore their broken hearts... a heartfelt read, with some lovely historical references.... it soon has you wanting to plant from the heart!
  • Who's afraid of Mr Wolfe?... Ellie a fabulous copywriter in an Ad agency, isny so fabulous in her life, boyfriend, attitude and dress sense could all need a little work!... along comes the gorgeous Jack ( new boss and bares a passing resemblense to Heathcliff!) decides to smarten Eliie up... under much duress, Ellie embarks on the adventure, with a dotty aunt to look after and 'knicker' pitch to deliver.. it will have you laughing out loud and sniffing into a tissue at the same time.. a girl after my own heart.. complete with a brief adventure in NY!
off now to compile my reading list for September and my Italian adventure.....

2 comments:

Archies Mum said...

I really wish I could read as fast as you. So far this year I've only read 12 books (so disappointing when I see how many you have devoured). A few more you've listed that I may just have to purchase. Have you read The Lovely Bones. I've recently read this book and couldn't get over how sad a book it was.

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

Wow, you've been a busy reader recently, Teresa! I just cant' quite bring myself to read on a Kindle at the moment - but I'm sure the time will come ...