Monday, 11 July 2016

T's travels - London's mews

Recently having spent a Saturday morning at my desk, I escaped into the back streets of the west end of London to explore some of the hidden delights of the city. I had seen and liked a number of Instagram images of mews's and hidden squares and gardens and was keen to explore these.
I mapped a small route which took me from Manchester Square (behind Selfridges) up towards Lancaster Gate, zig-zagging through lanes and gardens running alongside Hyde Park.
My first stop was in Connaught Square where I fell in love with the most gorgeous house covered in climbing roses and wisteria. It was hard to get a picture front facing as the road is quite busy, but I will definitely pop back later in the summer to see what else this gorgeous house blooms.
Meandering along I discovered some fabulous little lanes and private mews, however my favourite was a mews that allowed you to walk and explore its glorious cobble path.
I can't describe to you how delightful this mews was filled with most gorgeous window boxes, planters and flowers, along with gorgeous painted doors and garages. Whilst enjoying this little hidden slice of London I was surprised to hear horses hooves, until I saw a small riding group using the mews as a cut through to their stables nearby.
One of my favourite instagram feeds @georgianlondon recently shared the origin of Mews's - they were originally built as stable blocks for grand squares and street. When cars replaced horses they became homes for chauffeurs and cars instead of grooms and horses.            A short walk from this mews is another which still houses stables and horses and is the riding school which uses Hyde park as its playground.
I had a lovely couple of hours exploring these little side streets and have already started planning my next London exploration. I am inspired daily by a number of Instagrammers who share their adventures across the city; here are a few of my favourites.
Skye @georgianlondon,  @meanderingmacaron,  michelle @crazycatladyldn,  magdalena @magspangeni,  @mewsingsldn and @prettycitylondon   Thankyou all for sharing such lovely images.
I hope that you have enjoyed my hidden slice of London - pop back later in the month when I share some more London delights.

No comments:

Monday, 11 July 2016

T's travels - London's mews

Recently having spent a Saturday morning at my desk, I escaped into the back streets of the west end of London to explore some of the hidden delights of the city. I had seen and liked a number of Instagram images of mews's and hidden squares and gardens and was keen to explore these.
I mapped a small route which took me from Manchester Square (behind Selfridges) up towards Lancaster Gate, zig-zagging through lanes and gardens running alongside Hyde Park.
My first stop was in Connaught Square where I fell in love with the most gorgeous house covered in climbing roses and wisteria. It was hard to get a picture front facing as the road is quite busy, but I will definitely pop back later in the summer to see what else this gorgeous house blooms.
Meandering along I discovered some fabulous little lanes and private mews, however my favourite was a mews that allowed you to walk and explore its glorious cobble path.
I can't describe to you how delightful this mews was filled with most gorgeous window boxes, planters and flowers, along with gorgeous painted doors and garages. Whilst enjoying this little hidden slice of London I was surprised to hear horses hooves, until I saw a small riding group using the mews as a cut through to their stables nearby.
One of my favourite instagram feeds @georgianlondon recently shared the origin of Mews's - they were originally built as stable blocks for grand squares and street. When cars replaced horses they became homes for chauffeurs and cars instead of grooms and horses.            A short walk from this mews is another which still houses stables and horses and is the riding school which uses Hyde park as its playground.
I had a lovely couple of hours exploring these little side streets and have already started planning my next London exploration. I am inspired daily by a number of Instagrammers who share their adventures across the city; here are a few of my favourites.
Skye @georgianlondon,  @meanderingmacaron,  michelle @crazycatladyldn,  magdalena @magspangeni,  @mewsingsldn and @prettycitylondon   Thankyou all for sharing such lovely images.
I hope that you have enjoyed my hidden slice of London - pop back later in the month when I share some more London delights.

No comments: