Monday, 5 May 2014

Afternoon Tea - New York Style

Today's New York loves features Tea. It's not the first thing that you think of doing on a visit to New York, as coffee is much more favoured. There are some great places and its becoming a much sort after way to stop & relax for an hour in the city that doesn't sleep. I have picked a mix of venues as it would be easy to list 5 hotels, however on my travels I have stumbles across some fun & quirky venues.
Most of the big hotels offer Afternoon tea, or High tea as it is often called in the city. My favourites of these is of course The Plaza. Twenty years ago on my first visit to NY I stayed in this fabulous hotel prior to it becoming private apartments and suites. The Palm Court where tea is served is sumptuous, decadent and very 'old school' New York and was completely wasted on a girl in her early 20's!... I am looking forward to returning this year for tea when I visit in December.
There are a few Tea shops which have popped up over the city in the last few years. Tea & Sympathy is a cute little tea shop and store in the heart of Greenwich Village. It sells everything British, which I am sure the ex-pats living in New York must love, and serves a great cup of tea, cake & cucumber sandwich. Its straight out of a 40's style tuck shop and a huge hit with new Yorkers who love a slice of Britain.
My next Tea stop is Sanctuary T Restaurant which is located in Soho on the corner of Grand and Broadway. This restaurants menu is styled around Tea and offers a huge range of Teas from across the world. With is minimal styling, it really is a Tea sanctuary. Perfect place to stop, sit and savour a relaxing cup of tea whilst pounding the streets of the city. With great brunch & dinner menu's is not just an afternoon tea stop.
Alice's Tea Cup has a 3 venues across the city. If Alice in Wonderland could have created a tea shop then this would have been it. Its like a curiosity shop filled with gorgeous scones & fabulous tea.
Here are my thoughts from a previous visit. Perfect little curiosity shop for afternoon tea, for big and little girls.

Finally my tea room of choice, is the gorgeous 7th floor restaurant in Bergdorf & Goodman, also known as BG's. Situated on 5th avenue and with fabulous views across Central Park, its a perfect place to stop and refresh if you are a lady that lunches or shops!
I have mapped my tea venues in New York, some of these may need to be booked in advance. Pop back in a fortnight and I will share my coffee loves of the city.


3 comments:

claire said...

Nice to know you can get a good afternoon tea in New York. It's not something I would have ever thought to do in the Big Apple, but will keep in mind for my next visit.
Claire xx | somewhere... beyond the sea

Pennyblossoms said...

I like tea as in the food, but have never drunk teas as in the drink!
But if someone took me to The Plaza for 'tea', well, I'd change a habit of a lifetime!
Z xx

Candy Pop said...

It looks amazing, I'll have to make a note for my next visit!

Monday, 5 May 2014

Afternoon Tea - New York Style

Today's New York loves features Tea. It's not the first thing that you think of doing on a visit to New York, as coffee is much more favoured. There are some great places and its becoming a much sort after way to stop & relax for an hour in the city that doesn't sleep. I have picked a mix of venues as it would be easy to list 5 hotels, however on my travels I have stumbles across some fun & quirky venues.
Most of the big hotels offer Afternoon tea, or High tea as it is often called in the city. My favourites of these is of course The Plaza. Twenty years ago on my first visit to NY I stayed in this fabulous hotel prior to it becoming private apartments and suites. The Palm Court where tea is served is sumptuous, decadent and very 'old school' New York and was completely wasted on a girl in her early 20's!... I am looking forward to returning this year for tea when I visit in December.
There are a few Tea shops which have popped up over the city in the last few years. Tea & Sympathy is a cute little tea shop and store in the heart of Greenwich Village. It sells everything British, which I am sure the ex-pats living in New York must love, and serves a great cup of tea, cake & cucumber sandwich. Its straight out of a 40's style tuck shop and a huge hit with new Yorkers who love a slice of Britain.
My next Tea stop is Sanctuary T Restaurant which is located in Soho on the corner of Grand and Broadway. This restaurants menu is styled around Tea and offers a huge range of Teas from across the world. With is minimal styling, it really is a Tea sanctuary. Perfect place to stop, sit and savour a relaxing cup of tea whilst pounding the streets of the city. With great brunch & dinner menu's is not just an afternoon tea stop.
Alice's Tea Cup has a 3 venues across the city. If Alice in Wonderland could have created a tea shop then this would have been it. Its like a curiosity shop filled with gorgeous scones & fabulous tea.
Here are my thoughts from a previous visit. Perfect little curiosity shop for afternoon tea, for big and little girls.

Finally my tea room of choice, is the gorgeous 7th floor restaurant in Bergdorf & Goodman, also known as BG's. Situated on 5th avenue and with fabulous views across Central Park, its a perfect place to stop and refresh if you are a lady that lunches or shops!
I have mapped my tea venues in New York, some of these may need to be booked in advance. Pop back in a fortnight and I will share my coffee loves of the city.


3 comments:

claire said...

Nice to know you can get a good afternoon tea in New York. It's not something I would have ever thought to do in the Big Apple, but will keep in mind for my next visit.
Claire xx | somewhere... beyond the sea

Pennyblossoms said...

I like tea as in the food, but have never drunk teas as in the drink!
But if someone took me to The Plaza for 'tea', well, I'd change a habit of a lifetime!
Z xx

Candy Pop said...

It looks amazing, I'll have to make a note for my next visit!