Sunday, 11 May 2014

Big Easy Brunch

Over the past couple of years the Americans, predominately New Yorkers have slowly been taking over Covent Garden. ( all in a good way of course) The eateries that have crossed the pond in the past year and settled in the market area have bought a great food feel back to the market area.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to try out the recently opened Big Easy for lunch. The Big Easy's menu is built around the BBq's and  Crabshack's of the south. The restaurant is sited on Maiden Lane just behind the Market towards Charing Cross. It was once an old electrical power station which suits its dark entrance and fabulous funky lighting. The venue is all wood and metal with some fabulous big urban windows. The daily menu offers and lunch menu is fabulous value for money.
I opted for the calamari for appetiser's and the jumbo shrimp for main. I declined the included beer or cocktail options and opted for sparkling water... something I was grateful later.
The servings are big, the calamari came in a huge basket accompanied by a spicy dip. The calamari was gorgeous, really tasty and tender. The jumbo shrimps arrived on a bed of chips, this is where it went a little array. The shrimp again was gorgeous, however the chips were not edible. They looked fantastic but were so heavily salted that they were not edible at all. I am a salt girl and often get told off for too much salting, however these surpassed even my palate, which was a huge disappointment.
Thankfully a large bottle of water was at hand!.
Has this put me off going again.... No, I really enjoyed the venue, the food that I ate was good, however when going again I will ask for my food to be un-seasoned and also to understand what the sauces are which accompany the dishes as the menu isn't very clear.
This is a cool dinery for after work eats, family days out and easy lunches.... hopefully my experience was just an off day in the kitchen!..
Here are some of the American take-overs in the Covent Garden area... more blog posts to come



No comments:

Sunday, 11 May 2014

Big Easy Brunch

Over the past couple of years the Americans, predominately New Yorkers have slowly been taking over Covent Garden. ( all in a good way of course) The eateries that have crossed the pond in the past year and settled in the market area have bought a great food feel back to the market area.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to try out the recently opened Big Easy for lunch. The Big Easy's menu is built around the BBq's and  Crabshack's of the south. The restaurant is sited on Maiden Lane just behind the Market towards Charing Cross. It was once an old electrical power station which suits its dark entrance and fabulous funky lighting. The venue is all wood and metal with some fabulous big urban windows. The daily menu offers and lunch menu is fabulous value for money.
I opted for the calamari for appetiser's and the jumbo shrimp for main. I declined the included beer or cocktail options and opted for sparkling water... something I was grateful later.
The servings are big, the calamari came in a huge basket accompanied by a spicy dip. The calamari was gorgeous, really tasty and tender. The jumbo shrimps arrived on a bed of chips, this is where it went a little array. The shrimp again was gorgeous, however the chips were not edible. They looked fantastic but were so heavily salted that they were not edible at all. I am a salt girl and often get told off for too much salting, however these surpassed even my palate, which was a huge disappointment.
Thankfully a large bottle of water was at hand!.
Has this put me off going again.... No, I really enjoyed the venue, the food that I ate was good, however when going again I will ask for my food to be un-seasoned and also to understand what the sauces are which accompany the dishes as the menu isn't very clear.
This is a cool dinery for after work eats, family days out and easy lunches.... hopefully my experience was just an off day in the kitchen!..
Here are some of the American take-overs in the Covent Garden area... more blog posts to come



No comments: