Sunday, 24 August 2014

Summer in the City ~ in the Docks

Today I am sharing more of my adventures of my summer in the city.... I have spent many moments  along the Riverbank, today's post being about St Katherine's Dock.
On my first visit this summer to the Tower of London to see the poppies, I decided to brunch a short walk from the Tower at St Katherines Dock. It is many years since I visited this part of London and was amazed on how much it had changed. This area was a frequent eating and drinking location in my 20's and I have fond memories of the times spent there.
St Katherines is located on the other side of Tower Bridge and can be accessed by walking around the Tower and underneath the bridge. A small waterway links you from the Thames into a host of mini marina's, complete with drawbridges and boat traffic lights. With converted warehouses into apartments and a hub of eateries and shops, its a little water village in the heart of the city. As I was walking along the Thames the Gloriana barge which was commissioned for the Queens jubilee was just docking by Tower Bridge, which was an added bonus. 
With converted warehouses into apartments and a hub of eateries and shops, its a little water village in the heart of the city, complete with iconic phone & letter box!
The 'village' pub, The Dickens Inn's  window boxes were gloriously colourful, and a striking contrast to the blue sky.
As it was quite early in the morning the area was quiet, filled with boat owners breakfasting and getting their boats ready for the day.



As you walk around the boats moored are varied from big cruisers to small sailing boats and a treat for the big kid in all of us to see. Its hard to believe that this is tucked away in the corner of the city bordering the East end of London.

St Katherines Dock manages to mix the old and the new effortlessly, from the old walkways which stretch across the river and the iconic anchors of old it is a lovely place to while away an hour drinking coffee and watching the waterways come to life.
Here is a montage of pictures that I snapped on my ramble around the waterways, as you can see I couldn't have picked a better morning for my meander around the docks.

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

brokeinthebigsmoke.com said...

You have some seriously wonderful pictures here, I wish I had your talent x

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Summer in the City ~ in the Docks

Today I am sharing more of my adventures of my summer in the city.... I have spent many moments  along the Riverbank, today's post being about St Katherine's Dock.
On my first visit this summer to the Tower of London to see the poppies, I decided to brunch a short walk from the Tower at St Katherines Dock. It is many years since I visited this part of London and was amazed on how much it had changed. This area was a frequent eating and drinking location in my 20's and I have fond memories of the times spent there.
St Katherines is located on the other side of Tower Bridge and can be accessed by walking around the Tower and underneath the bridge. A small waterway links you from the Thames into a host of mini marina's, complete with drawbridges and boat traffic lights. With converted warehouses into apartments and a hub of eateries and shops, its a little water village in the heart of the city. As I was walking along the Thames the Gloriana barge which was commissioned for the Queens jubilee was just docking by Tower Bridge, which was an added bonus. 
With converted warehouses into apartments and a hub of eateries and shops, its a little water village in the heart of the city, complete with iconic phone & letter box!
The 'village' pub, The Dickens Inn's  window boxes were gloriously colourful, and a striking contrast to the blue sky.
As it was quite early in the morning the area was quiet, filled with boat owners breakfasting and getting their boats ready for the day.



As you walk around the boats moored are varied from big cruisers to small sailing boats and a treat for the big kid in all of us to see. Its hard to believe that this is tucked away in the corner of the city bordering the East end of London.

St Katherines Dock manages to mix the old and the new effortlessly, from the old walkways which stretch across the river and the iconic anchors of old it is a lovely place to while away an hour drinking coffee and watching the waterways come to life.
Here is a montage of pictures that I snapped on my ramble around the waterways, as you can see I couldn't have picked a better morning for my meander around the docks.

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

brokeinthebigsmoke.com said...

You have some seriously wonderful pictures here, I wish I had your talent x