Sunday, 9 November 2014

100 years on.... a nation remembers

This weekend, this nation will pause for 2 minutes silence and reflect on lives lost past and present in conflicts spanning the last 100 years. 100 years ago Britain went to war... millions of men signed up to fight for Queen and country without any hesitation...... 888,246 British boys did not make it home. 18 years after WW1 was over, we went to war again, this time overcoming the allies, fatalities still in the 100,000's ... since then we have lost lives in many conflict, both on home soil and far afield in Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. There is nothing that I can type that can repay the debt that we owe to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice and Thank-you seems so insignificant on a day like today.
The Poppies at the Tower have touched so many this year and have the ability to span generations.... it has been one of my favourite things to see and do during the past 5 months. My heart aches when I visit and I so wish my Nan and Gramps would have seen it, they would have loved it and would have been so proud.
Remembrance weekend is always a difficult weekend for me, I miss my grandparents every day, but I always feel it the most this weekend. We always watched the Remembrance service both from the Albert Hall and the Cenotaph together, attending church parade together when I was younger,
This morning, my mum and I visited the cemetery for some quiet contemplation.....
So today I wear my poppy with pride, and remember all the sacrifices made....

I have posted many different memorial/remembrance posts, here are a few of my favourites...


No comments:

Sunday, 9 November 2014

100 years on.... a nation remembers

This weekend, this nation will pause for 2 minutes silence and reflect on lives lost past and present in conflicts spanning the last 100 years. 100 years ago Britain went to war... millions of men signed up to fight for Queen and country without any hesitation...... 888,246 British boys did not make it home. 18 years after WW1 was over, we went to war again, this time overcoming the allies, fatalities still in the 100,000's ... since then we have lost lives in many conflict, both on home soil and far afield in Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. There is nothing that I can type that can repay the debt that we owe to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice and Thank-you seems so insignificant on a day like today.
The Poppies at the Tower have touched so many this year and have the ability to span generations.... it has been one of my favourite things to see and do during the past 5 months. My heart aches when I visit and I so wish my Nan and Gramps would have seen it, they would have loved it and would have been so proud.
Remembrance weekend is always a difficult weekend for me, I miss my grandparents every day, but I always feel it the most this weekend. We always watched the Remembrance service both from the Albert Hall and the Cenotaph together, attending church parade together when I was younger,
This morning, my mum and I visited the cemetery for some quiet contemplation.....
So today I wear my poppy with pride, and remember all the sacrifices made....

I have posted many different memorial/remembrance posts, here are a few of my favourites...


No comments: