Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Wonderland in New York.....

Sited just round the corner from my hotel on West 73rd and Columbus Avenue was Alice's Tea Cup... I had heard about this place sometime ago, but had never managed to get there on previous visits. As you are all aware I do like afternoon tea, so some of my last afternoon was spent here.
After frantic packing, last minute shopping and eviction from hotel room, this place was ideal to sit and relax ...
The shop and tea room are incredibly quaint, and on a par with Serendipity for quirkiness. The tables are fashioned from old sewing tables, complete with moving foot rests and machine wheels on the side. The boxed tables are real "through the looking glass" moments filled with Alice's treasures.
With a treasure trove of teas to tempt you and a varied afternoon tea menu; The Nibble, The Mad Hater and The Jaberwocky are a few to choose from, I opted for The Nibble, Tea, Scone with Cream & Jam, Sandwich & Assorted Cookies.... just the thing to keep me going before my flight home!..There was so many choices of Scone and Sandwich but I settled on a Blueberry & White Chocolate Scone and
Black Forest Ham & Gruyere with homemade mayo on semolina, raisin & fennel bread.

Both were absolutely delicious... which of course tempted me to purchase the cook book!.. Don't expect to come here and have something traditional,as we all know Alice was anything but!
Earlier in the day my walk across the park led me to the beautiful bronze statue of Alice in Wonderland. Commissioned by philanthropist George Delacore and constructed by Jose de Creeft in 1959.

Alice stands eleven feet tall. The Mad Hatter is a caricature of George Delacore and Alice is modelled on de Creeft's daughter... more information here.

If you are a fan of Alice in Wonderland, then these are a must on a visit to New York!

3 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

Thanks for the tweet! I've heard of this place and am dying to visit again!! I keep saying that I won't go back to NY for a while but whenever I read one of your posts I want to book up again!

Victoria xx

Archies Mum said...

Wow what an amazing find. Blueberry and white chocolate scone sounds absolutely divine. Mmm yes please

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

That afternoon tea sounds DIVINE!

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Wonderland in New York.....

Sited just round the corner from my hotel on West 73rd and Columbus Avenue was Alice's Tea Cup... I had heard about this place sometime ago, but had never managed to get there on previous visits. As you are all aware I do like afternoon tea, so some of my last afternoon was spent here.
After frantic packing, last minute shopping and eviction from hotel room, this place was ideal to sit and relax ...
The shop and tea room are incredibly quaint, and on a par with Serendipity for quirkiness. The tables are fashioned from old sewing tables, complete with moving foot rests and machine wheels on the side. The boxed tables are real "through the looking glass" moments filled with Alice's treasures.
With a treasure trove of teas to tempt you and a varied afternoon tea menu; The Nibble, The Mad Hater and The Jaberwocky are a few to choose from, I opted for The Nibble, Tea, Scone with Cream & Jam, Sandwich & Assorted Cookies.... just the thing to keep me going before my flight home!..There was so many choices of Scone and Sandwich but I settled on a Blueberry & White Chocolate Scone and
Black Forest Ham & Gruyere with homemade mayo on semolina, raisin & fennel bread.

Both were absolutely delicious... which of course tempted me to purchase the cook book!.. Don't expect to come here and have something traditional,as we all know Alice was anything but!
Earlier in the day my walk across the park led me to the beautiful bronze statue of Alice in Wonderland. Commissioned by philanthropist George Delacore and constructed by Jose de Creeft in 1959.

Alice stands eleven feet tall. The Mad Hatter is a caricature of George Delacore and Alice is modelled on de Creeft's daughter... more information here.

If you are a fan of Alice in Wonderland, then these are a must on a visit to New York!

3 comments:

Florence and Mary said...

Thanks for the tweet! I've heard of this place and am dying to visit again!! I keep saying that I won't go back to NY for a while but whenever I read one of your posts I want to book up again!

Victoria xx

Archies Mum said...

Wow what an amazing find. Blueberry and white chocolate scone sounds absolutely divine. Mmm yes please

whatshappeningatmyhouse said...

That afternoon tea sounds DIVINE!